communicating with Zotero [from Word/OO]

Help me please, I downloaded Zotero MS Word plug in and now it stopped working. When I try to import my citations on my Word document, all I get is an error message saying: AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED COMMUNICATING WITH ZOTERO. PLEASE ENSURE FIREFOX IS OPEN AND TRY AGAIN. It was working fine before, but now it stopped. I tried erasing and re-installing the plug in, but I still get the same error. Does anyone have a solution? :(
  • Are you using the most recent (1.0.1) version of Zotero?
  • Thank you for your response. YES I downloaded the newest version and tried to re-install the MS plug in, but I still get the same error message.
  • I hope the Zotero 1.0, which I got from the website home page, is the same as 1.0.1. If not, where can I get that from?
  • Yes, v. 1.0.1 is what you get from the home page now.

To confirm your version number, click on the "cog" or "wheel" icon in the top row of the Zotero window. Then click "About Zotero." At the top you will see the version number.

Oh, btw, are on a PC or a Mac?
  • Yes I do have this version and prior to this I did the following steps:

Error message: AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED COMMUNICATING WITH ZOTERO. PLEASE ENSURE FIREFOX IS OPEN AND TRY AGAIN

1. Erased Zotero toolbar from MS Word
    2. Uninstalled and reinstalled Zotero add-on version 1.0.1
    3. Erased Zoter folder from Mozilla folder
    4. Reinstalled MS Word plug in

Actual result:
    Same error message
  • One more question, what version of FireFox are you using? If you don't have the most recent (2.0.0.9) upgrade and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, I think I'm out of suggestions...You'll need to wait for help from someone more knowledgeable of the inner workings of Zotero.
  • I do, thanks anyways
  • OH! Wait! I do have one more suggestion: In the wheel/cog icon there is an option to "Report Errors."

You might want try if you haven't already. :)
  • I did thanks, do you know how long do they take to respond?
  • Usually they respond fairly quickly, sometimes it takes a few days. It probably depends on how many crises they are dealing with at the time!

Are you facing an urgent deadline?
  • yes, my prospectus is due on Tuesday @_@
  • Yup, I have been trying to fix this all weekend. I will try to post my problem in another forum, do you have any suggestions as to where should I post this?
  • As far as I know, this is the best place.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly.

If it's any consolation...I feel your Pain!!!
  • I will try to post my problem in another forum
    Please don't. We read all messages, and duplicate posts will be deleted.

Did you try Report Errors after a communication error, as arggem suggested?
  • edited November 12, 2007
    Thanks for the response. What is the email of zotero support? is is support@zot[...].org. Because I re-installed zotero 1.0.1, the Report Errors option is not available, I think
  • miluska...Dan IS the Man!! :)
  • Here is what pretty much is happening. I am using the latest version of Zotero (1.0.1) and the Word plugin (1.0b1).
    When I try to get my citations, stored at Zotero, to my Word 2003 document, I get a "communication error" with Zotero. It asks me to keep the Firefox open. But it is already open. So far I did the following steps:

Error message: AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED COMMUNICATING WITH ZOTERO. PLEASE ENSURE FIREFOX IS OPEN AND TRY AGAIN

1. Erased Zotero toolbar from MS Word
    2. Uninstalled and reinstalled Zotero add-on version 1.0.1
    3. Erased Zoter folder from Mozilla folder (where my old stored documents used to be)
    4. Reinstalled MS Word plug in

Actual result:
    Same error message
  • What version of Word are you using, and what platform?
  • Thank you for the response. I am using Microsoft Office 2003 SP2. How do I find which platform?
  • Another thing I've noticed was that the View option is not available anymore for every document I save for my references.

P.S.: I tried installing Zotero plus its MS plug in again and I still get the same message. I don't understand what happened. It was working fine before.
  • The platform is the operating system of your computer. Is it Windows XP, Windows Vista, Mac OS X, Linux?

What do you mean by the view option? What did it show you when it worked?
  • miluska,

Are you using an English version of Zotero, or a different language?

Also, you said you "Erased Zoter folder from Mozilla folder (where my old stored documents used to be)"...

Did you restore that folder? If not, you have deleted all of your references and documents that were stored there. If that's the case, nothing will show up in the middle column. Is that what you mean by "no view option"?
  • The folder is back. What I mean about the view option is that your document displays in the middle window and the info appears in the right. Before I had the view and locate options available, but now I only have the Locate one only
  • The view option is actually to go to your document online
  • miluska: the Report Errors option should be under the cog/gear menu, third from the bottom. If you have Zotero 1.0.1, there's no reason you shouldn't have this menu option. The output from this feature will help us diagnose the problem; without it, it's difficult to provide any help.
  • Yes I submitted one: Report ID 1643714743
  • miluska: Do you get the error in a new document?
  • Yes I do, in new and stored documents
  • Create a new Firefox profile, install Zotero (and nothing else), create a few references, and try citing them in a new Word document.
This discussion has been closed.