Available for beta testing: Zotero for Android

15678911»
  • @distillman I'm working on the new edition of my Zotero book. Any chance of a spot in the early access for this app?
  • Any plan to release an update now? I've seen lots of commits on WebDAV having been implemented and so are version codes. Thanks.
  • +1 to the make it play well with Boox gang. I currently use syncthing to just send and retrieve PDFs, but it is cumbersome.
  • Another Boox user here (Ultra e-ink tablet). Please improve Boox devices support!! And thank you for the hard work!
  • We've just released a new beta, 1.0.0-97, with some big changes:
    • WebDAV support
    • Fixed crash when opening note
    • Reader improvements:
      • PDF thumbnails and outline support
      • Page counter
      • Back button after jumping to another page
      • Fixed text-selection behavior in highlight mode
      • Hide status bar in full-screen mode
    • Miscellaneous other improvements and bug fixes
    As always, please start new threads to report any problems.

(Please don't ask about new testing slots. We open more slots when we're comfortable doing so — in this case, we'll do so once we've received some feedback on WebDAV support and feel it's working correctly and is relatively safe to use.)
  • This is absolutely amazing, thank you!
    Just did some light testing - editing, adding, removing attachments are being synced properly and it's all working very nicely!
  • WebDAV seems to be working great !!

Also noticed that barcode scanning has been added and is working fine, with bulk adding ! That's great, can't wait to test this. (But also hope that Google scan can be replaced in the near future for this featurel
  • Hello, WebDAV works great. Many thanks to the team. Now that the app supports WebDAV, I can actually use it and test it. I was wondering about something: Is the last open page not synchronized? For example, if I read a textbook up to page 100 on Zotero Desktop and then close it, it would be great if, when I open the book on Zotero Android, it also opens to page 100, and vice versa.
  • Is the multi-profile feature available on Android? Is it included in the planned updates?
  • @shahram7: Yes, that should already work. If it's not working for you, start a new thread.
  • Hi everybody!
    Is there any option to let the app display the name of the highlighting colors in the color selection menu?
    Could any of the Boox users share their experience with color highlighting using the Zotero PDF Reader on a black and white device? At least I need to be able to select the correct colour to have it all on my laptop correctly highlighted. Is that possible with b/w or does one need a device that supports color?

Thank you already!
  • I wasn't able to upload the image now, but the colors aren't labeled in the beta. They are different shades of grey dots. I guess they follow an order so that you can choose the correct color if you remember the ordering I've been using the web library to read e-book lately and there the colors are labeled with names (as you can see for yourself on your computer as well).
  • Thanks for putting in the effort to make an Android App! I would like to see you guys putting a small price tag on the Android (and IOS) App. I think a price like 1 $/€/etc. would be alright for everyone (personally I would also pay 5).
    A one time payment would be not much for the buyer but could potentially fund a good chunk of future development work.

I know one could probably get the apk file from github since its open source, and that's great :), but I think a lot of people are willing to support the project by buying the App in the respective Appstore.

I know about the subscription, I have the subscription. I think additional money for development would do the project good and a one time payment seems fair to me and could be viewed as a (additional) donation.

Anyway, thanks for Zotero!
  • Hi Dev Team, are we going to have the possibility to change the thickness in the handwriting annotation tool? I think it would be a useful enhancement.
    best regards, Shahram
  • @Dopplereffekt while I totally agree that the community could support more, I personally strongly disagree with your suggestion. While I would also like to contribute with a fee, it should not lock the app behind something in the store. There are multiple users from developing countries, for whom 1 USD could mean a considerable amount of their subsistence. I'd suggest, adding a "supporter" version where a payment is possible, or adding a closable "boot single time" popup, that that goes away by contributing or something on those lines, but nothing that should hinder the usage of the app in any way. If someone could get the source code and remove it, well, they had energy enough to do so.
  • @universidan The app works surprisingly well on the Boox Nova Air 2 (without colors), but as mentioned earlier, it is difficult to distinguish the highlighting colors from each other.
    For me, 3 changes would make the experience much better:
    1. Name the colors (so you can tell them apart)
    2. Enable to turn off animations (e-ink is slow to refresh and animations leave shadows)
    3. Allows you to choose a theme with high contrast (black icons and text and white/light background)
  • Thank you so much @oyvindbs and @sstraume97 for sharing your experiences!
  • I've probably asked this before, so apologies for the repeat if so, but as someone who has transitioned to android for my main working devices (phone and boox tablet) will we ever see annotations extraction available through the android app. Really appreciate that sidebar with my "notes". Being able to click and see the notes in the document, builtin citations, etc. is so helpful for my workflow, but I don't want to run a desktop just to have that one step. Thanks!
  • @lgasoi_ottawa: Yes, we do plan to bring the notes sidebar, adding annotation to notes, etc., to the mobile apps.
  • This is fantastic! I have cloned the repo from github, built the debug apk, and am very excited for the beta to open for official support. It's beautiful!

Would it be possible to have an option for the location of the 'storage' directory?

My library is synced across several machines by duplicating that directory then syncing the database with the zotero web sync.

We can't get into the Zotero app data directory to make a symlink without root, but if the app would let us choose the storage directory we could use Zotero for the database and then sync with any other clients that we wanted (e.g., rcopy, syncthing, teracopy, a NAS and linux ssh script, etc.,).

Even if you could identify where to change the data directory in the github source for building apks - I would be happy to try it out, debug, and report back.

Thanks and all the best!