Available for beta testing: Zotero for Android

edited December 25, 2023
We're happy to announce the beta of Zotero for Android.

You can install the app from the Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zotero.android

Current features:
  • Sync personal and group libraries
  • Edit item data and notes
  • Organize items into collections
  • Download and upload files via Zotero Storage
  • View PDFs and snapshots
  • Annotate PDFs (highlight, note, image, and ink annotations)
Not yet implemented:
  • Saving from the browser
  • Adding items via identifier or barcode scanning
  • Citation/bibliography generation
  • WebDAV file syncing
This is an early beta, so we don't recommend using it if you're in the middle of an important project. If you do want to try it, be sure you’ve made a backup of the Zotero data directory on your computer before installing the app.

The beta is currently limited to 1,000 testers, but we'll increase that limit once the app has gone through a bit more testing.

Please create new threads in these forums for any bug reports or feature requests. Be sure to put "Android" in your thread title so it's clear what you're referring to.

Thanks for helping to test the app!
  • edited December 25, 2023
    Great job!
  • Very well done, and what a nice surprise for the the festive season. Will definitely give it a go!
  • Wow, this is a big present for Christmas. I am looking forward to the incoming features.
  • Thanks a lot! Installation works great on my Android device. Looking forward especially to the citation/bibliography generation!
  • Thankkkkkkks!!! is there any way to download this app? i cannot use googlepaly in China.
  • Thanks a lot for your work!
  • That is great, my larger library with 14000 elements timed out the first time but then on a second try it seemed to have worked.
  • Thank you so much! This is a great Christmas present!
  • edited December 25, 2023
    Thank so much. Been waiting for this for a very long time ❤️

Can't wait for WebDAV syncing and finally reading my documents on the go when using an Android phone and not having an iPad with me. Happy holidays to the team - thanks for all your work. It is great to see Zotero evolving.
  • Many, many thanks! Happy holidays for all the amazing Zotero team!
  • Wonderful, many thanks! <3
  • I'm a user from China and we can't use the Google Store. Can I download it in other ways?
  • It’s the best news received this year.
  • @czy2023, @odinzxh: We're planning to offer a direct download from our site with a built-in update-notification mechanism for people who can't use Google Play, but that won't happen until later in the beta.
  • Oh no the early access program is already full...
  • Oh no the early access program is already full...
    OK, well that was fast. We'll increase the limit soon — we'd just like to get some fixes out for initial bug reports and make sure the beta is safe for broader use. Keep an eye on this thread for updates, and thanks for your patience!
  • Wonderful! It is already very usable despite some missing functionality and certainly much better than what was available before (I tried Zoo, Zotez and the Web Library). I haven't noticed any bugs yet but will report when I see any.

This is the best Christmas present I got! (Well I didn't get any other presents but that's a different story). It's great that you managed to get it out before the end of the year. Thank you so much!
  • edited December 26, 2023
    Thanks. Waiting for webdav implementation.
  • It truly is Christmas!
  • Thank you so much!!!!!
  • I missed it!

Great news in any case. Super exciting.

I will be watching for it to open up.
  • Thanks a ton !!! Waiting for 2nd lot calling for beta tester.
  • Thank you all!
    The beta seams already functional. sync works well and fast, pdf viewer is really nice.
  • Great!
    Can't wait to try it out on my Boox Nova Air when it becomes available. For those of us who don't like (or don't have) an iPad, this has been long-awaited.
  • first post on the forum just to say: Wow! Thank you! Excited to get access. Happy holidays!
  • Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the hard work!
  • For those wondering, I can confirm that the S-Pen works wonderfully for notations in the Zotero app on the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra.

I imagine it's similarly great with other styli on other devices.

This basically assures that I'll be buying a Boox tablet in the near future.