Highlight Colours

I really like that you finally included a pdf reader in Zotero and version 6 looks awesome, speaking of the new note editor, the tabbed view, etc.

I have a question regarding highlight colours and the switch from Skim.app as pdf reader.

So far, I have read all my scientific pdf files in Skim, while managing them in Zotero. Now that you included a pdf reader in Zotero itself, I was thinking about moving from skim to Zotero completely, but I have a problem adapting to the colour schemes.

Is or will it be possible to change the highlight colours or add new ones?
This is the first question.

The second is related to the first one: In Skim, I used 7 different colours to mark my pdfs. Now, I am wondering how I should import all those highlights in Zotero, wondering because there are only 5 different colours available and wondering how I should do this because Skim saves notes and highlights in the metadata of pdf files or, if activated, creates .skim files that contain the notes and highlights only.

Thanks for advice.
  • Extending the issue raised by @HirschiS , in Zotero 6 we have only 5 colours for highlighting, both in the new (and much appreciated!) PDF reader, and in the notes that we can append to the various items.

In Zotero 5 and earlier versions there was a much wider selection of colours. I guess that many users, just like me, took advantage of these multiple colours so as to highlight many different topics, subjects etc in large textual excerpts (in my personal case, long archival transcriptions, in the first place).

I notice that the Notes editor displays those colours that I introduced under Zotero 5, but doesn't allow me to select those very additional colours in the case of new Notes.

I would be very grateful if you could reintroduce a large palette of colours in the Notes editors, and also implement the same function in the brilliant new PDF readers.

Thanks for your great work!
  • edited March 23, 2022
    seconding paoloaranha! the different highlight colors were essential to my method of organization. i would appreciate if someone at least addressed this concern
  • That is exactly what I want. But my reason is a bit different from you guys, and it makes me a little upset when I have not found anyone who likes me in colour-distinguishing problem. I can't easily distinguish Purple from Blue at highlighting colours. I am very frustrated==
  • +1
    I would really appreciate the presence, at least, of orange, gray and dark blue colours, so at least to move close to Adobe Acrobat's palette.

Also, an underlining tool would be handy; a free-text tool to add side-paragraph annotations... but there is time to develop better the already comfortable, internal PDF reader.
  • +1

Additionally, would be great to have different ink size.
  • I'd like to be able to create custom colors or have roughly twice as many colors as are currently available (the more the merrier).
  • +1 I have a system where I use 9 different colors to highlight different types of information. It would be great if there would be more colors and if the user could specify custom highlight colors. Interestingly when I import a PDF into Zotero 6 that already has highlights in other colors from anther software (e.g. Paperpile) I can see and use those in Zotero.
  • +1 here as well.

I'd be happy if I could just customize the color options that are there. I'd like to use different shades of the highlight colors. I use lighter/brighter shades of these colors in my highlighting outside Zotero and would like to be able to set Zotero to match.
  • +1 from me, as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of more pressing concerns for the devs at the moment, but this (along with colored text) is one of the key things keeping me from upgrading to v6. The use of visual cues in my notes is key to the way I work, and, for me at least, far outweighs the workflow benefits of the new editor.
  • +1

Zotero is already very excellent! I'm also looking forward to having more available/customizable highlight colors. Highlight rectangle like that feather in Mendeley is also cool.

By the way, why the 'redo' and 'undo' are always gray and not working with the highlight color?
  • By the way, why the 'redo' and 'undo' are always gray and not working with the highlight color?
    Please, remember to open a new thread for new questions
  • +1

(I'm a huge fan of the integrated PDF reader - thank you!)
  • +1. I would also appreciate the option to use more colors!
  • Me too, I'd love to custom my colours, or double them, plus the underline tool would be awesome (writing in margins would be great - but guessing I'm pushing the boat our on that one, so extra colours would be a good start). I LOVE Zotero by the way, thanks heaps for the awesomeness!
  • +1
    please do something about the colour palette, the sooner the better!

the first person complained since march and yet nothing have changed, I am wondering if they even consider these discussions!
  • +1

More highlighting colors please!
  • +1

please add more highlight color options please, the PDF reader is so good and fluid that I naturally want to use my color-based system for visual cues to the text!
  • jsyk, there's a discussion of this issue on GitHub. https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/2774

Mrtcode has redesigned the highlighting colors to include 3 more (Orange, Magenta and Gray).
  • +1

Hi team,
    I would really appreciate your help if you can add more colour or allow the ability to customize highlight colours for the PDF reader.
  • Yes, a color dialog to create a custom palette, and / or the ability to change the opacity of the palette colors, would be really handy! (And for the note editor, too, not just PDFs.)
  • While they are at it, changing the label names for the colours would be appreciated from my side. Being able to change 'Blue' to, idk, 'Statistics' or 'Discussion' would help my organization :) More colours is on second place.
  • Yes please, I concur
  • +1
    More colors are much needed in my information sorting system
  • + 1

Please add more highlight colors to the PDF reader (which is great btw , thank you). Thanks !