Date field for Podcast Item types

Why is there no date field for Podcast Item types?
  • no good reason, really. It will be added, but that process is non-trivial, so it'll still take some time.
  • Good to know.

Any chance of having projected estimate of time and/or when done?
  • not really, lot's of moving part. More than 3 months, less than 3 years?
  • (existing issue: https://github.com/citation-style-language/zotero-bits/issues/2 ; no need to comment there, it's clear this needs to change)
  • In the meantime, you can add a date by putting the date at the top of Extra like this:
    issued: 2013-08-31
  • Thanks for the feedback all.

Much appreciated.
  • Still longing for this field...
  • You can add it to Extra like this:
    Issued: 2019-03-28

This will get picked up by citations

• Not the ones I generated in APA or CMS (author-date)...
  • You get the date in full for APA in the bibliography; you only get the year in CMS (author-date). If you don't, you're likely not using the exact same structure for the Extra field.
  • You need to enter it exactly as I have. The word “issued”, a colon, a space, then the date in ISO format YYYY-MM-DD
  • Even if I put a "Date" or "Year" or "Issued" field in Extra, it doesn't show up in the "Year" or "Date" column in Zotero, and when I sort entries by year, it is sorted as not having a year.

It would be nice to be able to sort podcasts by date or year when I'm browsing my database.
  • The Extra field is a workaround, not a solution. Anything you put there will migrate to a proper field once that exists (but don't use "date" or "year" -- it needs to be "issued")
  • How comes this issue that has been reported about a decade ago is still not addresses? Underlying misconception appears to be that podcast is modeled after song (sic!) and not after radio broadcast
    Anybody got any idea how to get this getting fixed anytime soon?
  • As I say in the first reply here:
    no good reason, really. It will be added, but that process is non-trivial, so it'll still take some time.
    There are no misconceptions about the nature of podcasts involved.
    There have been no updates to any item types or fields in Zotero in the last 10 years for that same reason. Getting closer now, so carefully optimistic about this year.
  • You need to add a date field to the podcast. If it's non-trivial that's a very poor design and has significant implications for the future of the app. I hope you can make some headway, because it's a great service otherwise. Seeing issues standing for four years is kind of absurd.
  • Hello, I agree with Michael and just added a renewed request for adding a date field for podcasts in another thread on this forum. I too would really appreciate a date field because otherwise it means I have to manually add it to every Zotero record, and then manually edit the record in my word processing document later on. So, I would really really appreciate this very small update to the podcast citation style. Thank you to the entire Zotero team!
  • adamsmith March 27, 2017
    not really, lot's of moving part. More than 3 months, less than 3 years?

Apparently not.
  • Like has been said numerous times in this thread, you can add a date to Podcasts by putting this in Extra:
    Issued: 2020-01-31

That will migrate automatically when a proper field is added.
  • Also, in another thread, @adamsmith noted that if you add a podcast episode from the Stitcher website (https://www.stitcher.com/discover), Zotero will grab the metadata and will (most of the time) automatically place the date in the Extra field as described above. The one thing it doesn't do is grab host and guest names. You'll have to enter those in manually.
  • Now 4 years on, there still is no way to add a year for a podcast (manually), so it shows up as (n.d), which is incorrect. Podcasts now being so common, this is really frustrating, and making me want to quit using Zotero.
  • @l.kolff: From two posts above yours:
    Like has been said numerous times in this thread, you can add a date to Podcasts by putting this in Extra:
    Issued: 2020-01-31

That will migrate automatically when a proper field is added.
  • This does not work. I am citing using my university's Harvard style. It does seem a bit neglectful that it has not been addressed in the time scale set by the developers themselves. Is there any hope that this will be added soon? Adding the 'issued' line does not work for me and presumably many others.
  • I don't know why you'd presume this? Using the Extra field may be a bit inelegant, but it definitely does work, so you'd have to say more if it doesn't for you (which citation style, what exactly are you seeing, what exactly do you have in Extra)

• If people are saying it doesn't work for them (and I am following the same instructions), I don't think it's a presumption...

I did say the citation style - Harvard.

I entered the following:
    Issued: 2020-02-01
  • edited February 28, 2021
    "Harvard" isn't a citation style. There are 118 "Harvard" styles in the styles repository.

The Extra workaround absolutely works in general, so if it's not working for you, you'll need to actually say what citation style you're using and what you're seeing in the output.
  • Harvard Bath.
    I'm seeing n.d.
  • Test this in a new document, making sure you're selecting the item in your library with Issued in Extra. If you're still seeing "n.d.", take a screenshot of the item pane in Zotero, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here so we can see the exact data you're using.

If it works in a new document, the existing document likely just isn't actually using the item that you edited, in which case you should delete your existing citation and reinsert it.
  • I just came across this issue also. Bummer that there still isn't a Date field for podcasts. I did the workaround putting e.g. "Issued: 2019-08-20" in Extra, and that does work though.
  • Please add this feature!

The workaround of writing "issued YYYY-MM-DD" in the extra field doesn't work towards the goal of generating citation keys that incorporate the date.