Available for beta testing: Zotero Connector for Safari 13

• Other than the Safari extension, the Zotero beta currently just contains a small number of bug fixes since 5.0.80.
  • Is it possible to have two versions of Zotero running, i.e., the beta for when I'm using Safari and would like to take advantage of the Safari connector, and the release version for when I'm using Firefox? Or do I have to choose one or the other and stick with it? I miss the Safari connector for research, which I do mostly via Safari, but a lot of my teaching materials are in Firefox. Thanks, and thank you for making the Safari connector beta available.
  • @Jmbarker: Yes, you simply need to have opened the beta Zotero app once and have it installed on your system to keep the extension in Safari — you don't actually need to use it. So you can rename the beta as "Zotero Beta", leave it in Applications, and then run the production version as "Zotero". You'll be able to save to the production version from both Firefox and Safari.

Once the Safari App Extension is available in a production version, you should delete the beta version of Zotero to make sure Safari is using the right version.
  • Quick feedback: works for me on Catalina 10.15.2/Safari 13.0.4
  • Hello...and thanks for the update. This morning I installed the beta app and connector on my MacBook Air (13-inch, early 2015), running macOS Catalina ver 10.15.1 and Safari 13.0.3 (15608.3.10.1.4). No problems installing and running the beta and connector extension. Thanks for the tip about right-clicking the page background for secondary translator options. Also for using the beta to install the connector extension, then running the production version. So far, so good!
  • How do I download and install the connector for Safari?
  • @PeterFerry: See the first post in this thread.
  • Yes - working for me now! Works great so far in Safari.
  • Is it me? I do not understand. I'm going crazy
  • @ebrugenc: You'd have to say more. As explained above, the beta connector requires Mojave (10.14) or later.
  • Is this still a beta-only feature or has it been pushed out to the release version? I saw Zotero update itself to 5.0.81, but I'm not seeing the connector as an available option in Safari (MacOS Catalina) and a quick scan of the release notes didn't mention anything.
  • The Safari App Extension is still only in the beta — unlike most other things on the beta channel, this won't automatically be in the following production release.
  • Very confused about Zotero Connector. Is there a replacement app I can use as a plug-in on Safari 13.0.4?

As I understand it, to install the beta version of Zotero Connector, I have to deinstall the entire app (5.0.80, which just updated itself) and install the beta app, then install Zotero Connector from the beta app?

How stable is this beta? When will it be released for production? Will Zotero Connector ever be available for installation, or is the current beta the only place it will ever be available?
  • @crabpaws: See my post above. You don't actually need to actively be running the Zotero beta to use the Safari extension.

The extension will be included in the production release when we feel it's stable. Currently, the main instability happens during Zotero app updates, and that doesn't apply if you're not running the beta as your main Zotero app.
  • I can't find the Zotero icon in tool bar in my MacBook Air. I cannot save the pages into Zotero. I have already downloaded the Zotero 5.o and then installed the zero beta.
    How could I do ?
  • @hninmyathida: Assuming you're running 10.14 or later, you need to run the Zotero Beta once, and then you need to enable the Zotero Connector from the Extensions pane of the Safari preferences.
  • I've never been able to get the Connector to work; the "Z" button appears in the toolbar for less than a second then disappears. I see a crash message about every 10-15 minutes. I'm not sure if this is the instability that is being discussed. Here is a sample crash: https://sabi.net/temp/zotero-safari.txt
  • @nriley have you tried restarting your mac?
  • @adomasven I have, many times. Thanks though!
  • Just installed Zotero as required by my university's master program.
    so, the Zotero version is 5.0.81
    I am using a brand new iMac- running Catalina 10.15.2
    My browser is Safari 13.0.4

I need to install and run the connector also, for an assignment due in 6 days! However, even following all the tips listed in this forum, I can not seem to get the connector to install.
    When I search the App Store &/or the Safari Extensions page, Zotero does not even show up as an available app.

Help, Please!!! Really don't want to have to download and run Chrome or Firefox.
  • edited January 19, 2020
    @jaburkey: It's explained in the first post in this thread. You can also just use Firefox or Chrome until the Safari extension is available in the main version of Zotero.
  • @dstillman
    yes, I attempted all of that. as I said, the extension appears NOWHERE in the safari extension page' contrary to this line of the first post:" When you first run the beta, the extension will automatically be installed into Safari, though you may need to enable it from the Extensions pane of the Safari preferences."
    I saw somewhere that I have to install from the program itself. However, when I click on "Install Browser Connector" in the Tools menu, it links me right back to this page.
    As I said, I REALLY don't want to have to install Chrome or Firefox.

Am I missing something as to how to install this beta version of the connector?
  • @jaburkey: Can you list exactly what you’ve tried, step by step, and what happened at each step?

“Install Browser Connector” is irrelevant for this.
  • @nriley could you try updating to the latest version of the Zotero Beta and seeing if the Safari Connector works for you?
  • @dstillman
    I initially went to the home page, clicked download for zotero5.0.
    and also, on same page, clicked "install safari connector" (found here: https://www.zotero.org/download/);
    that took me to following page (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/safari_compatibility), where I clicked on the now available link, which brought me to this page..
    I then clicked on the link in your first paragraph: "A test version of the Zotero Connector for Safari that works with Safari 13 is now available in the latest Zotero beta. [Update: The test version works only on macOS 10.14 Mojave and above.]"
    that took me to this page: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev_builds
    where I then clicked on "Mac", under the Zotero heading. which installed Zotero-5.0.82b.
    I then closed all open windows/programs and restarted my computer. the icon still did not show up on my safari browser page, and does not show up in any search of the App Store or extension page.
    I went through this process about 5x, uninstalling the previous version of Zotero prior to re downloading it again. I did this entire process again, just now when explaining my steps. still nothing.
    when I open the program itself, under the tools drop down box, there is a line that says "install browser connector". when I click that, it again brings me right back to this page.
  • @jaburkey: It's not clear from those steps that you actually started the beta version. You have to do that once for the connector to be installed into Safari.
  • Hello all, I have the same issue as @jaburkey. Installed the beta version twice now, restarted safari, Zotero, computer multiple times, but nothing. Any advice will be much appreciated.
  • @AnnaSelmeczi: Are you running macOS 10.14 or later and Safari 13?
  • Hi, thanks @dstillman, it's Mojave and I just checked, Safari seems to be 12.1.1... Should I try to update it? (New computer, sorry.)
  • Yes, you need to be running Safari 13. Safari 12 is out of date and no longer should be used.