Available for beta testing: Zotero Connector for Safari 13

1234568»
  • Hi. Some good news. I installed the first public beta of the new macOS yesterday. After reinstalling the Zotero beta, then enabling the extension in Safari, the button magically appeared!
  • Apple has delivered Safari 14 since this morning, I'm looking forward to the new Zotero Connector.
  • edited October 2, 2020
    WebExtensions support in Safari 14 is unfortunately still rather buggy and incomplete, so we're not yet able to provide a working Zotero Connector. We've reported some bugs to Apple and are waiting to see if they get fixed.

The beta Safari App Extension for Safari 13 continues to work — with the upgrade issue — with Safari 14.
  • Hi, I could not manage to find the connector in the extensions part of Safari preferences, is there anything else I can try? Installed beta
  • @sweetamber5: If you can't get it working, you should use Chrome, Firefox, or Edge for now.
  • ...The question is that I couldn't find the zotero in my extension pane...
  • Have I understood correctly that Apple has made the use of the Safari 14 extension only possible via apps downloaded from the App Store? Does that mean that, when available, I will essentially have to dump my current installation and reinstall Zotero from the App Store?
  • edited October 1, 2020
    No, that's not correct (and Zotero isn't available from the App Store).

See Safari Compatibility for a full explanation of the situation.

Safari 13 and Safari 14 support different technologies for extension development, but they both require extensions to be bundled with Mac apps (from anywhere, not just the App Store).
  • Hi After my Mac upgraded to macOS10.15.7, the safari extension button for Zotero was replaced by a shield-image button with anti-tracking function. Is it one of the problems with Zotero Connector on safari 14? Or is it just with this machine and can be fixed easily? Can you help? Thanks!
  • @yuqianw: That's just a different icon — it has nothing to do with Zotero. See Safari Compatibility for a full explanation of the current situation.
  • It was working so well! Then, before my very eyes, the connector disappeared from the tool bar when I restarted Zotero :(
  • @rajputaman04: As explained above, in the beta version, after a Zotero update you may need to remove and reinstall the beta.
  • After updating to Big Sur, I had to
    (a) reinstall Zotero beta
    (b) check the box for Zotero extension in Safari (Safari > Preferences > Extensions > see left sidebar)
  • Mine disappeared as well. I have
    -uninstalled Zotero
    -reinstalled the latest beta
    -unchecked and checked the Connector
    Still nothing.
    Any ideas?
  • - Close Safari.
    - Remove the Zotero Beta from Applications.
    - Start Safari to confirm it's gone from the Extensions pane.
    - Restart your computer.
    - Reinstall the Zotero Beta into Applications.
    - Reenable the extension in Safari.