Available for beta testing: Zotero Connector for Safari 13

edited March 7, 2021
Please see the support page for the latest updates.

A test version of the Zotero Connector for Safari that works with Safari 13 is now available in the latest Zotero beta. [Update: The test version works only on macOS 10.14 Mojave and above.]

When you first run the Zotero beta, the Zotero Connector will automatically be installed into Safari, though you may need to enable it from the Extensions pane of the Safari preferences. Note that if you're still running Safari 12 and have the old Safari extension installed, the old extension will be replaced if you install the beta, and you won't be able to reinstall it.

This was a massive rewrite of the way the Zotero Connector works in Safari, so there are likely bugs, but it supports full saving capabilities and Google Docs integration. As with the old Safari extension, automatic proxy detection and automatic RIS/BibTeX/CSL import aren't supported due to limitations of the Safari extension framework. Manual proxy configuration, with automatic redirection, isn't currently available but may return in a future version.

One key difference: we're not able to create a context menu for the save button, so secondary translator options and preferences access are available by right-clicking on the page background.

Let us know if you run into any trouble.
  • I cannot find a beta of just the connector, so I guess I will have to install the Zotero app beta to get the connector? Or is there going to be a separate version?
  • A separate Zotero app just for the Safari beta is not planned, but the Safari connector will be available with the main Zotero app once we feel confident in its functionality.
  • edited November 28, 2019
    I'm so happy to hear there is good progress on the Safari connector, I've really missed having it. Thank you for your work on this super useful application, it's a huge help in my PhD.

I'd like to try the beta but I'm unsure how to install it, the link shows a page which only links to the Firefox connector.

EDIT: Sorry the last comment from Adomasven confused me, it is indeed included in the main Zotero app beta, rather than being a separate connector beta.
  • Now that I have installed the beta of the connector, can I go back to the Zotero release version, or will that not work?
  • No, Safari App Extensions are part of the app package, so you need to have the app installed for the extension to be available in Safari.
  • Will the Zotfile plugin work with the beta version?
  • @MiraNaomi: Yes, ZotFile has been updated for changes in the beta.
  • I have Zotero 5.0.77 and Safari 13.0.3.
    Is there a way to only download the connector for Safari and not the whole Zotero-beta version?
  • No. Safari App Extensions are bundled with apps. They can't be distributed separately.
  • thank you very much for your efforts.
  • Thanks so much!
  • edited December 3, 2019
    I have Zotero 5.0.78 (5.0.78-beta.13+61cebbd8f), which I think is the latest, and Safari 13.0.3.

Zotero app works fine, but the extension is not loading in Safari. I've restarted both programs and computer. Nothing. Pls help!
  • @mikeross: Do you see the Zotero Connector listed in the Extensions pane in Safari? If so, is it checked? If you check it (or uncheck it and recheck), does an icon appear in the Safari toolbar, either permanently or briefly?
  • Also, Zotero does not appear in the Safari extensions window.
  • So glad to have this back!
  • Amazing! I might finally be able to upgrade...
  • @mikeross have you tried reinstalling the Beta client?
  • Quick lookup extension not working after installing beta version on my mac. Is there any suggestion ? Thank you very much?
  • Version 1.4.0 of ZoteroQuickLook was just released that fixed quicklook in Zotero 5.0.58+
  • Got the same problem as mikeross, Zotero 5.0.79, but the connector won't appear in the extension pane of safari.
  • @Henrim -- the Safari connector is still in beta & requires Zotero beta to test.
  • Yes I had Zotero beta download.
  • 5.0.79-beta.1+4883104bd
  • @Henrim have you tried removing Zotero completely and reinstalling? Make sure you remove any versions you have, both Beta and not before you reinstall.
  • "bwiernik yesterday at 10:28pm
    Version 1.4.0 of ZoteroQuickLook was just released that fixed quicklook in Zotero 5.0.58+"

it solved the problem. thank you very much.

• Removed all versions & reinstalled Zotero 5.0.79. Still no connector in Safari.
  • It's not available in the release version. It's only in the beta.
  • Hello. Thanks for this, I really miss the connector. I just installed the beta on macOS 10.13.6 (17G9016), now running 5.0.81-beta.2+bbbd02444. I’ve restarted Safari (13.0.3 (13608.3.10.10.1)) but am not seeing anything in the Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions tab. Any ideas?
  • @IanBroon: Did you try deleting Zotero from Applications and reinstalling the beta?
  • Just tried that, and then restarted Safari — still nothing in the Extensions pane in Preferences :(