MS Word Plugin document update problem

1235»
  • Can you provide a report ID?
  • Have you tried restarting your computer?
  • Restarting the computer seems to have made it work again.
  • I also had the "Zotero experienced a problem updating your document" error appear, all of a sudden.
    I had just (inadvertently, and for the first time) used Word's "Research" function. not sure if this is related.

I had to restart the computer to get it working. Restarting firefox and word wasn't enough.
  • Hello!
    My error report is: 1744714980

Specs:
    Word 2008 12.2.0
    Mac 10.5.8
    Firefox 3.5.6
    Zotero 2.0b7.6
    Office Live plugin 12.2.0

I was working on a new document, with the updated Zotero 2.0b7.6 just the last 2 days, and its been well (ITS NICE! An improved version from the previous), but just NOW, I try to insert a citation, it wouldnt let me press 'OK', so when I press 'cancel', the error message comes up: "Zotero experienced a problem updating your document"

Ive restarted Word, Firefox and the laptop, but it doesnt work;
    I resaved the document as .doc and .docx, and no luck either

(I test adding a citation on a new empty document and it works, though)

Please help!!!

MUCH THANKS!

Vickylin
  • Vickylin: You're getting a style-specific error:
    CSL: style references undefined macro title
    What style are you using? A dev version of the MHRA style produced this at one point, but a newer version available on the styles page should fix it.
  • Dear Dan,
    Merry Xmas! (belated) -thanks for answering so quickly in the festive season, I appreciate it. Indeed by desperate trial/error I find out that its just that very citation that was the problem. I use MHRA, and have updated the version I have. Phew! THANKS very much!!!! Thanks for Zotero!!
    Happy new year.
    V
  • edited April 27, 2010
    Hello!
    I was following this thread trying to solve my own "Zotero experienced a problem updating your document", but could not.

I am sorry if I previously opened an new thread about the same issue. I am new here and it take me some time to learn about the way it is handled.

Report ID: 705475901

Specs:
    Firefox 3.6.3.
    WordMac 2004 11.5.6.
    Mac 10.5.8.
    Zotero 2.0.2.
    Zotero Macwork intergraiton 3.0b2

I noticed that others specify the "Work Live Plugin". Where can I find it?

I've been working with the Zotero 2 for few months and it is great. For unknown reason I started to get these error messaged whenever inserting a citation and have no idea why.

thank!

updates:
    I tried installing everying again from scratch.
    I made sure that the zotero.dot file is in the right library. I erased it from the German version of WorkMac.
    I made sure that in Tool>Templates and add ons it the file Zotero.dot is ticked.

Still, whenever I insert a citation in the English version, a new document is open in the German version of word, and an error message appears in the English version...

Any suggestion?
  • Help, please, I get the following error message:

Zotero Integration Error
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Report ID 2137332737

Using Word 2004 for Mac vX
    Zotero 2.0.3, MacWord Integration 3.0b2 and PythonEXT 2.6.2 updated several times as of today.
    Error message happens in old or new docs.
    Worked fine before
    I am using the Sync refresh

Please help.
  • edited June 13, 2010
    n
  • There is no such thing as "Word 2004 for Mac vX." Your errors suggest that you have Word v. X installed, which Zotero does not support. Upgrade to Office 2004 or 2008.
  • Excellent point Simon and thanks for the quick response!

I've followed your advice and upgraded to Word for Mac 2008 (v. 12.2.5). However, on trying to "Reinstall Word Components" from the Integration Preferences I get the following new error message:

Zotero MacWord Integration could not be installed because an error occurred.
    "Finder got an error: Can't get alias "Macintosh HD:Users:omniscopicomniscopic:Library:ApplicationSupport"Firefox"Profiles:vlslwet1:default:extensions:zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org:install.script"

Report ID 1636283385

Any thoughts?
  • See if restarting your computer (or logging out and logging back in) fixes this. We've seen this error or a similar one before—it seems to be an obscure operating system bug.
  • edited June 13, 2010
    Tried it. No luck.

FYI, I put a Zotero.dot file (generated on different computer) in the Office2008->Startup->Word folder and the little Zotero button bar showed up in Word (it wasn't there before) I assume because the "Reinstall Word Components" never executed. Even though it is there, none of the buttons work.
  • The buttons won't work in Office 2008. You need to use the Zotero scripts in the script menu. Are these appearing?
  • Was just trying that... yup. I think that may have fixed it. Thanks for your help!
  • I have a client getting this error in a large 143-page document in Word 2007. It happens in some parts but not others. I've tried everything in this discussion without any luck. The latest error report ID is 604885853.
  • compupane, see my post on this thread. Based on your report ID, you are probably experiencing the same issue.
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you! It worked!
  • edited September 18, 2010
    Any suggestions you can provide to solve this problem would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

18/09/10
    Report ID:

Problem:

18/09/10
    Attempting to insert citation into a Word 2007 document using Word 2007 => "Zotero Integration Error. Zotero experienced an error updating your document." This error arises when trying to insert a citation into a new document, or a pre-existing document with pre-existing Zotero citations.

Using Firefox v. 3.5.7.

Background: Working on a personal filespace on a network machine.

Installed - or so I thought - (after downloading from main Zotero site) Word for Windows Plugin for Zotero v.2.0 (Plugin v. 3.0a4) . Enabled Macros. Pre-existing version of Zotero (v. 1.0.10) => Attempts to insert citation produced "Integration error". Hence, downloaded and installed Zotero v.2.0.8 from main Zotero site. (Did not register for a new Zotero account - having previously done so.)

Restarted Word 2007, enabled macros and tried to insert citation => Zotero Word Processor Plugin v. 10b3 incompatible with Zotero 2.0.8 => Closed Word 2007. => Repeated above plugin download and installation => Generated the above (i.e. the headline problem for which a report ID is provided) citation error when restarted Word 2007.

However, using Word 2003 (same network, different machine) does not produce this error.

18/09/10

Logged off and rebooted computer => Same error as above.

Zotero Error Report:

"Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\np32asw.dll

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [zoteroIntegrationApplication.getActiveDocument]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 185" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 185}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [zoteroIntegrationApplication.getActiveDocument]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 185" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 185}]

• Hi,

I'm having the same problem. Report ID 186786516

I just installed Firefox version 3.6.10 and version 2.0.8 of Zotero. I then installed the lasted Word for Windows Plugin. I can see my library in zotero when in Firefox. I can see the Zotero toolbar when I open Word. However, when I try to insert a citation, I get a dialog box with the error:

"Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

Any assistance or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.
  • Hi,

I'm experiencing some issues that were evoked by dudukk.

When I insert a citation in a word document, the field code remains and the citation is inserted as text.Refreshing the citation doesn't solve the problem, it only adds another occurrence of the text citation. Same problem with bibliography.

Here's a list of what I've tried so far :reinstall zotero and the word integration plugin; change the format of the document (rft, doc, docx); check the integrity of the DB; reset translators and styles.

So here is my error report ID: 769419670

Thanks.

Config:
    Mac OS 10.5.8
    Firefox 3.6.12
    Zotero 2.0.9
    Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0b7
    Word 2011 14.0.1 (French version)
  • I'm not quite sure I understand what the problem is, but the first thing to try would be the steps here (assuming there's no other entry on that page that matches your issues).
  • Hello,

I urgently need help! I opend a document with which I worked several days ago and tried to insert a new ciatation. But it says: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [zoteroIntegrationApplication.getDocument]"
    I downloaded a new version of Zotero and WinWord Intergation, updated Word Add-in, it didn't help. I cannot insert neither the citation nor bibliography; I cannot refresh Zotero from the Word. Any Zotero icon I click in the Word doc, the error message pops up in both the old and new (clear) document!
    I am using Windows 2007, Zotero 2.1.1, WinWord Integration 3.1b2.r8075.
    Please, help aasap!
  • kse-petrichenko, no need to double-post. I'm closing this thread because there are too many different issues discussed here (the vast majority of them fixed) for it to continue to be useful.
This discussion has been closed.