MS Word Plugin document update problem

• z0300005 - you're software is outdated - you should have 2.0b7.4 installed and I believe there is also a more recent version of the plugin
  • Report ID: 1975970244

Zotero 2.0b7.4
    Zotero WinWord Integration 3.0a3
    MS-Office 2007
    WINXP SP3
    Fireox Ver.3.0.14 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

While trying to update an entry in my document, the Add/Edit Citation window is opened and I can choose the new item I wish to add. But when clicking the OK button I get the follwoing error message:
    "Zotero experinced an error updating you document.
    The server threw an exception".
    The Word application than freezes

Same thing happens when I copy the content of the file into a new one, and trying again to update an entry.
    This is not a conssitant problem. It works fine for some entries, and for others not.
    Here's the field codes for both cases:

This the code for a successful update:

ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM {"citationItems":[{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/J2MTTBPV"]},{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/MVM2VGCU"]},{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/CQI99JTH"]},{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/235EZM85"]},{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/3MDP6RHI"]},{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/HJPQ8FAD"]}]}

This is an example for a field code that rasies the above mentiond error, when trying to update it:

ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM {"citationItems":[{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/JHT3APEU"]},{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/3HH9ICM2"]},{"uri":["http://zotero.org/users/local/Kbix3Vg3/items/GR3S639D"]}]}

Can't tell exactly the differences between nthe scenarios.

Hope that helps.
    Waiting anxious for your comment,

Cheers,
    Gal
  • After updates Word-plugin won´t work at all. Please help. Tried all fixes mentioned in this foum to no avail.

Updated to:
    Zotero 2.0b7.4
    and WinWordPlugin 3.0a4.r5318

the Word-plugin will not work at all. I always get the error message: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document".
    No matter which plugin function I want to use and no matter whether I use it on new docs or exisitng ones with zotero references. Plugin refuses to do anything.

Report ID: 1119626801

Configuration: XP SP3; Word 2007 SP2; FF 3.5.3

Thanks for your help! Love Zotero, so hope this can be fixed.
  • Sorry for quick repost, but a clean install fixed all my problems. Maybe helpful for others too:
    I uninstalled the plugin from the Word startup folder and uninstalled the Firefox add-on "Zotero WinWord Integration". Rebooted, then reinstalled the ff add-on, started Word and now everything is working fine.
  • Report ID 623759339.
    I'm not sure whether or not these issues are interrelated, but bringing up zotero's window within Firefox resulted in the failing sync process, with the following error message(s):

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Unexpected status code 404 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.ZFS._getFileUploadParameters()' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Unexpected request status 2152398862 in Zotero.Sync.Storage.StreamListener.onStopRequest()' when calling method: [nsIStreamListener::onStopRequest]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Sync already running in Zotero.Sync.Runner.sync()"]

Is there a way for me to uninstall the beta version and re-install zotero's stable one? I feel so frustrated, and time is coming into a crucial issue for me (final stages of PhD dissertation).

Thanks,
    Gal
  • not easily, no - you'd have to revert to a backup.
  • Gal, are you having issues with the Word plug-in, or only sync? If you are seeing a Word plug-in error, you'll need to trigger it again and then generate another Report ID.
  • two thought: can you delete and re-insert the offending citations? Does the problem persist?
    Have you checked your database integrity (Zotero -gears menu - preferences - advanced)?
  • Simon - gal cites his Word issues three posts above and gives Report ID: 1975970244
  • edited October 28, 2009
    Simon, thanks.
    I wasn't sure if you wanted me to reproduce the error again, anyway . . . there it is(actuallly it was easy . . .):
    Report ID 852539506. The message is:

[JavaScript Error: "[zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception... "The server threw an exception.
    " code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordField::SetCode" location: ".\zoteroWinWordField.cpp"]"]

Cheers,
    Gal
  • edited October 28, 2009
    Okay, I see that now. Those field codes both look fine, and "The server threw an exception" probably indicates some underlying issue in Word that's being triggered. Have you already tried restarting your computer? If so, if you can send the smallest portion of your document that still reproduces the error to support@zot...org, we'll take a look.
  • Adam, thanks
    I tried both suggestions, with no success. Deleting and inserting again resulted with the same error. DB Integrity - "No error were found in the DB".

Cheers,
    Gal
  • Simon
    I'm restarting my laptop several times a day, so this issue is a consistent one.
    I'm sending you a small portion of the document - I'm not sure if it's matter but it's in hebrew, except for the notes/citations.

Many thanks for your time and efforts
    Cheers,
    Gal
  • Hello Simon
    Just wanted to check if there're any news regarding the above mentioned issue?

Cheers
    Gal
  • The error message indicates that something has gone wrong internally with Microsoft Word, and nothing beyond that. I haven't received your document (perhaps it was lost in transit?), so I have no idea what that might be.
  • Simon
    I sent the document at the very moment you asked for it. I sent a minute ago the same mail to support@zot....org.
    Can you please provide me with an additional e-mail address so you get it right to your hands?
    Gal
  • Apparently the original email got caught by our spam filter. I got your re-sent copy. I'll try to take a look at it in the next 24 hours.
  • Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the error. My guess is that it's a Word-related bug with mixing right to left and left to right languages, but that's just a guess. Do you have all of the latest Word-related updates installed?
  • Simon
    Thanks.
    I just checked for Office updates and installed all those I was prompted for. I than restarted my machine and tried to edit the yellow marked citation, in the very same file I sent you. Unfortunately I recieved the same error message.
    I was wondering if a fresh installation of Zotero may resolve things. I understand that my current installed beta version of the Zotero's Db is not compitable with the latest Zotero's stable version. Are there other options for me in order to get a reversed DB version so I can install the stable version? Can you think of other options? I'm a bit confused with a tight time table submitting my dissertation.

Cheers,
    Gal
  • edited November 6, 2009
    Have you tried copying the content into a new document? Sorry, I see you have.

Also, if you can use the plugin in a new, empty document, have you tried the Debugging Broken Documents steps?
  • edited November 7, 2009
    Dan
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortuently none of them beared a remedy for this issue.
    But there is an unusual behavior (though I'm not sure if it got to do with my issue) when switching into another style (e.g. Life Magazine): it resulted in some (not all) of the citations switching into Life Magazine citation style. I found it strange, as if something is not consistent with the way different citations were insertr/updated with different versions of Zotero. For those that did not switch into the new style, only after editing them, adding additional source to the list (and immediately removing it) were updated into the new style.

In addition I made a minor change to the csl style file I'm using (apa.csl). I replaced the "&" sign (before the last author in the citation) with "and" (istead of "sign" I used "Text", for the "author" macro name). Here is te content of that macro after my update:

<macro name="author">
    <names variable="author">
    <name name-as-sort-order="all" and="symbol" sort-separator=", "
    initialize-with=". " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    <label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=".)" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
    <substitute>
    <names variable="editor"/>
    <names variable="translator"/>
    <text macro="title"/>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    </macro>

Looking forward for any suggestions (if there are any that I didn't try)

Cheers,
    Gal
  • did you edit any of the citations that don't change by hand, either using the show editor or directly in word? That would lead the field code to break and the citation won't update anymore. (Though I don't think it should explain the rest of your problem).

No issues with the APA - you did change the ID field? Otherwise APA will automatically update and overwrite your changes. Once again, that shouldn't be the source of your problems, though.
  • Adam
    Thanks.
    I changed them using the editor, then adding any Item and removing it (using the arrows that include/exclude items in a citation). Only than item was updated into the new one. e.g.no typing of my side.

Didn't change the ID field. Will try it now.

Gal
  • What I meant was "did you change them using the "show editor" field (at the bottom of the plugin) at any point. If I understand you correctly, that's not the case, as it would have involved typing.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/csl_simple_edits
    for small edits to csls
  • Adam
    Eureka! (???)
    I followed the link for the simple edits. I decided to abandon the manual changes I made to the apa style. I've downloaded a fresh copy of that style, and edit it as described in that page you directed me to. I than saved it in a different name and "directed" word to use the new style instead of the original apa one.It seems for now that it did solve my issue, as I can easily edit and change those suspicious items word would crash when edited earlier.

I'll keep you guys for any changes, for now I can go and happily ever after finish this #$%RFG$#T$#T$@% dissertation.

Cheers,
    Gal
  • Well, unfortuently I was celebrating sooner than I should, this issue is still live and kicking!!
    Back to starting point

Gal
  • I am having a similar problem in installing zotero plug-in to my word. I have a Mac OS x v10.6.2 (the newest one) but am using Word v X (came out in 2001). When I go to install the plugin for Zotero 2, I can't seem to find the "Word Script Menu Items" folder. Thus, when I open word, the panel of Zotero citation buttons is there but when I attempt to use them I simply get the message "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

Help? Is there anyway this can be fixed or do I need a newer version of Word?

Thanks!
    Emilee
  • I have a Mac OS x v10.6.2 (the newest one) but am using Word v X (came out in 2001).
    http://www.zotero.org/support/which_version#word_processor_compatibility

Word X has never been supported and never will be. (If the previous plugin version worked with Word X, it was sheer luck.)
  • Just encountered this problem with 2.0b7.6. Downloaded latest MS Word plugin, no luck.

Fails in existing documents, new documents, existing refs, new refs.
This discussion has been closed.