How to delete in mass contents of a field?

Hi,
Is there a way to delete in mass the content of a field? I know we can use zutilo to add or replace the content of fields but if we want, not to add or change but to delete, I don't find the way.
  • which field?
  • Extra, Call number, library catalog
  • I know we can use zutilo to add or replace the content of fields but if we want, not to add or change but to delete, I don't find the way.
    See here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/85593/editing-multiple-items-at-once

Copy something like {"itemType": "book", "extra": ""} to the clipboard and use "Paste all item fields".
  • Thanks!
    @Johnmy : I'm a little scared but these are great tools I didn't knew
    @qqbb : it's more my "range" to copy / paste with zutilo. Questions : Why do I have to put "book"? It seems to work with article, document, etc. And what is the name for the call number? If I copy paste {"itemType": "book", "call number": ""}, it doesn't change anything.
  • Why do I have to put "book"? It seems to work with article, document, etc.
    See here: "The itemType name/value pair needs to be kept in the JSON text because Zutilo uses its presence to decide whether to use the paste JSON commands in the context menu; its value is irrelevant for this function."
    And what is the name for the call number?
    Select an item and use Zutilo's "Copy item fields", then paste to a text editor. That will give you the data in JSON text format. Search for the relevant field, e.g, "call". You'll find "callNumber". You can clear that field if you copy {"itemType": "book", "callNumber": ""} and then use Zutilo's "Paste all item fields".

Note that the Extra field can have mutiple lines corresponding to multiple additional fields. Zutilo can't delete those individually. This is possible with Zotero's JavaScript API, but more complicated.

In any case, remember to back up your Zotero data.
  • I've seen the explanation about de itemType, but with my english skills, I'm not able to understand, and, about I know nothing about JSON...
    Anyway, thank you.
    And thank you for reminding me to back up my Zotero data!
  • You won't get Zutilo's "Paste field" options if there's no "itemType" field, because Zutilo thinks that it's not something it can paste. You need to keep the "itemType" field as a dummy, the value doesn't matter. The "itemType" value only matters for the "Paste item type" function.