Available for beta testing: Zotero Connector for Safari 13

12345679»
  • oh no,
    why not for 10.13 mac high sierra? I need the connector for my safari 13, but upgrading to 10.14 is not possible for my 10.13 mac.
  • I have nothing in extensions when I downloaded Zoreto.
  • I'm unable to use the Connector as well. No extension is downloaded in Safari
  • @Croy403, @Z.Willemse: You need to be using the Zotero beta, as explained on the support page. If you're having trouble, you should use the Zotero Connector for Firefox, Chrome, or Edge, browsers that have stable, well-supported extension frameworks. The beta Safari version works fine in general on macOS 10.14 and up, but I'm afraid we can't spend time helping people with it.
  • I have just installed zotero beta but I can't seem to find a working link for the safari connector >_<
  • @zunami: Explained on the support page. There's no "link".
  • Safari 14 extension appeared after re-installing Zotero beta. You can find it from
    Safari > Preferences > Extensions you will see it on the left panel and click it to enable.

Only problem is: currently it says that, by enabling it:

Zotero Connector 5.0.85
    "Can read sensitive information from webpages, including passwords, phone numbers, and credit cards. Can alter the appearance and behavior of web pages. This applied on all webpages.
    Can see when you visit all webpages"

I am not liking that Zotero can see my passwords and credit card information for obvious reasons. But, I want to use it. Would there be any possibility to change your settings to do not look at those content?

Thanks!
  • Zotero doesn’t look at any of that content. You can see information on what that permission means for Zotero in the “Zotero connector” section here https://www.zotero.org/support/privacy
  • The warning Safari gives here is correct, plugins can do such things, but it's not saying "this plugin *will* do such a thing. Safari (or other browsers) doesn't have a feature where a plugin can say "can you allow me to inspect the contents of the page, but do not give me access to passwords on the page". Safari is just in general saying "don't install plugins from people you don't trust, because we're going to give them this kind of access".
  • The Zotero Connects has repeatedly been installed requiring me to re-install the connecter several times over the last six months.
  • @williamstrev1: Explained on the support page — the problem of needing to reinstall the Zotero app after updates to restore the Safari extension is the reason why this is still only on the beta channel.

Based on our testing, we're cautiously optimistic that is fixed in macOS Monterey, coming this fall.
  • thanks for all efforts from developers. I just enable the Zotero Connector for safari. The description of the support page is correct but can be confusing for some beginners. For other beginners, to enable your Zotero connectors, please go Safari--Preferences (Not Safari Extensions--which will bring you to App Store )--extensions and click the Zotero Connector there. Again, I appreciate all efforts on the connector by developers.
  • I‘d like to install Zotero for Safari on my iPad. Is this possible and if yes, how? Thanks in advance!
  • @batim you would need to sign up for the Zotero iPad app beta
  • I suddenly can't find the Zotero Connector for safari, I try the Safari--Preferences, but I can't find it, I reinstall it, and still nothing.
  • For the people using the Zotero beta and Safari extension with recent versions of Big Sur or Monterey, we're curious if you've had to follow the uninstall/reinstall step with recent beta app updates. In our testing, we can no longer reproduce the original problem of the Safari extension disappearing after an app update in either Big Sur or Monterey, but we'd like more assurance that the problem is gone before releasing the extension with the production version of Zotero.
  • @dstillman I'm running zotero 5.0.97-beta.53+f583416d8 with BigSur 11.6 (20G165) and Safari 15.0 (16612.1.29.41.4, 16612). Haven't had to do reinstall when updating to this beta. I wouldn't mind updating to monterey if the zotero beta or production seem stable on it.
  • @dgolteanu: You can certainly upgrade to Monterey. The question is just whether anyone has actually experienced the broken-Safari-extension-after-app-update problem recently, in either Monterey or Big Sur. We haven't seen this recently in either.
  • @dstillman It's been a week and there's no report of the issue. I guess it's time to release the update.
  • Im wondering whether I could make use of the Zotero Connector in Safari - unfortunaltely Im not even sure how to find it or activate it. Could you please explain it to me?

Im running the following:
    - Mac OS Big Sur 11.6
    - Safari 15.0
    - Zotero 5.0.97-beta.56+32a5826a1
  • @MarcoSmolla: From the support page:
    After running the Zotero beta once, the Zotero Connector will appear in the Extensions pane of the Safari preferences, where you'll need to enable it.
  • Thank you @dstillman

It works well and there was no need to reinstall Zotero or anything...
  • Hey Folks, I have a problem. I am also wondering whether I could make use of the Zotero Connector in Safari. Unfortunately I am not able to activate it, the Zotero Connector doesn't appear in the extensions pane of the safari preferences and so I am not sure what to do....

I am running the following:

- Mac OS Monterey Version 12.0.1
    - Safari Version 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20)
    - Zotero 5.0.97-beta.58+44b6cd052

• edited December 16, 2021
    @JosiMew: Likely just the same issue documented above and on the support page, where the extension disappears after app updates. Delete the Zotero beta app, possibly restart your computer, and redownload the beta.
  • I updated my Zotero beta app twice now and the Safari Connector still works like a charm.
    macOS 12.1, Safari 15.2 (17612.3.6.1.6) and Zotero 5.0.97-beta.59+abe8c39c5

Will the Connector be released in the stable Zotero soon? Working with a beta app feels risky while writing my thesis lol
  • I was abble to See the Safari connector and one day I opened Safari and it wasn't here anymore. I may try to delete Zotero and install again but will all my sources be deleted?
  • @EurydiceLe: The Safari extension is available with the release version of Zotero 6 for macOS Big Sur and later. (In Zotero 6.0–6.0.3, it was available on earlier macOS versions, but we limited it to Big Sur and later in 6.0.4 due to instability.) See Safari Compatibility if you're running Big Sur or later and not seeing it.