Changes to APA Style in 7th Edition

edited January 21, 2020
The 7th edition of the APA Style Manual has been released. The APA style in Zotero now follows the 7th edition guidelines.

Notable changes to APA Style in 7th edition include:
- The publisher place (Boston, New York, London, etc.) is not included in references.
- In-text citations for works with 3+ authors always use "et al.", even for the first citation.
- Both the publisher and DOI/URL are included for non-periodical items.
- For additional details on changes in 7th edition, see here and here.

If you still need the 6th edition version of the style, it is available from https://zotero.org/styles/apa-6th-edition
  • Regarding the new APA style and the language option:

When I select Danish as language, the format of date month year in referencelists still follows the american way of writing the date. For example the new style will write: Andersen, M.-L. (2019, februar 20) in the referencelist, when it should be: Andersen, M.-L. (2019, 20. februar). Is there a way to make it follow the european way of writing dates?
  • No, unfortunately day-month dates can't currently be localized
  • So, if you want to change that, you would need to customize the style code itself.
  • I encounter a problem when i add information to Webpages. If I add a publication year to the date-field in the reference I dont get the "Retrieved from" text in my reference:

World Health Organization. (2019). Mental disorders. http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/en/

But If I remove the publication year and leave the field empty I get the "Retrieved from"

World Health Organization. (n.d.). Mental disorders. Retrieved February 20, 2020, from http://www.who.int/mental_health/management/en/

Am I doing anything wrong here? Or is this a bugg inside the style?

Would be grateful for your assitance!
  • The manual states that retrieval dates are not generally needed, but should only be included in cases where the content of the page changes frequently. This is most typically the case when the page has no publication date. When a page has a publication date, it is usually expected that the content will remain the same. All of the examples in the manual with retrieval dates have no publication dates (with the exception of the UpToDate reference example 14, which, frankly is inconsistent—it is formatted liked a journal article, which don’t have retrieval dates, and these pages are archived, so it is always possible to identify the specific version of the page referenced by the publication date).

Accordingly, the CSL style adopts the convention that only undated web page items should include the retrieval date.
  • Thanks so much for your reply, then I know.
  • Good afternoon bwiernik,
    Thanks for preparing the APA 7th style. At the University of Aveiro (Portugal) we are using it with Mendeley and we detected a small problem, so we would like to ask for your help. The Elsevier Team suggested us to contact the Github/zotero support team...
    The APA style manual 7th edition refers that in the "Conference Proceedings" type, the (article) title must be in italic and the Proc. Title. must be regular´. When we use on Mendeley the APA 7th style, it doesn't happens, the Proc. Title. appears in italic and the article in regular format, so it is in the opposite position. Is it possible to make this change for APA 7th Style and upload it to GitHub? Thanks in advance.
    Kind regards, Susana Dias
  • edited March 6, 2020
    There is a difference between papers published in formal proceedings (in Zotero, use the Conference Paper type) and papers that are just presented at the conference but not formally published in a proceedings (in Zotero, use the Presentation type). The APA manual states that papers published in proceedings are cited like journal articles or book chapters. Presentations have the format you describe. This is what the APA CSL style does.

It looks like Mendeley doesn't have a type that corresponds to Presentation in Zotero. You should not use Mendeley "Conference Proceedings" for papers that are presented at a conference, but not published. This is one of several places where Mendeley's support for citation styles is very poor.

Personally, I recommend switching from Mendeley to Zotero if you are concerned about accurate APA-style citations. See here for a guide on migrating https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/mendeley_import
  • I'm having a problem... when citing a reference with 2-19 authors, their names should all be listed. Zotero is only listing the first 5 and the last.
  • The APA 7th edition style does print up to 19 authors. It sounds like you are using a 6th edition version style.
  • I have problems with citing when using APA (Zotero Version 5.084):
    - APA 6th, 2/19/20
    - APA 7th, 2/18/20

In each style I get different results.
    a) APA 6th:
    (André, 2018): "page to": the first number is missing (should be 180 instead of 80)
    (Artmann, 2019): place of publish is correct

b) APA 7th:
    (André, 2018): "page to": correct
    (Artmann, 2019): place of publishing is missing
    What's wrong?

American Sociological Association 6th edition
    (André 2018)
    André, Stefanie. 2018. „Theorie trifft Praxis – Status quo im ‚verrückten‘ (digitalen) BGM-Markt“. S. 158–80 in Digitales Betriebliches Gesundheitsmanagement: Theorie und Praxis, FOM-Edition, herausgegeben von D. Matusiewicz und L. Kaiser. Wiesbaden: Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden.

(Artmann 2019)
    Artmann, Thomas. 2019. Betriebliches Gesundheitsmanagement - inkl. Arbeitshilfen online: Neue Erfolgsstrategien für Unternehmen. Freiburg · München · Stuttgart: Haufe.
    -------------------------------------------------
    American Psychological Association 7th edition
    (André, 2018)
    André, S. (2018). Theorie trifft Praxis – Status quo im „verrückten“ (digitalen) BGM-Markt. In D. Matusiewicz & L. Kaiser (Hrsg.), Digitales Betriebliches Gesundheitsmanagement: Theorie und Praxis (S. 158–180). Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-14550-7_10

(Artmann, 2019)
    Artmann, T. (2019). Betriebliches Gesundheitsmanagement - inkl. Arbeitshilfen online: Neue Erfolgsstrategien für Unternehmen. Haufe.

• 1) Your first example is Chicago style, not APA at all.

2) APA 7th edition doesn’t include place of publication (see the first post of this thread).
  • (1. is ASA, which is in the 6th edition; I'm guessing that's in part the source of the confusion here. It's loosely based on Chicago Manual, but very much its own style)
  • I am having trouble selecting multiple citations to create my bibliography. Has this changed? Can someone help me select multiple references? I click but it is not working.
  • I'm having trouble with citing reports - if I enter an institution, that should be listed first as the author followed by date then report name, for example:

This is what it should be:
    Connecticut Department of Children and Families (2019). Connecticut Department of Children and Families Policy Manual: Volume 2 - Child Welfare Program Management (28-1: Adolescent Services).

with an in-text citation of (Connecticut Department of Children and Families, 2019).

What I'm getting is:
    Connecticut Department of Children and Families Policy Manual: Volume 2—Child Welfare Program Management (No. 28-1: Adolescent Services). (2019). Connecticut Department of Children and Families.

with an in-text citation of (Connecticut Department of Children and Families Policy Manual: Volume 2—Child Welfare Program Management, 2019)
  • You should enter Connecticut Department of Children and Families as an author in single-field mode.
  • For conferences, APA 7 10.5 asks for the full dates of the conference: "The date should match the date(s) of the full conference to help readers find the source, even though a session or presentation likely occurred on only one day. "

Here is the example they provide:

Lastname, F. (2020, January 30–February 2). Presentation title in italics [Paper presentation]. Association Name 1st Annual Meeting, New York, NY, United States.

Here's another example from their blog (https://apastyle.apa.org/blog/canceled-conferences):

Boissy, A., Davis, C., & Montori, V. (2020, March 13–22). Keeping healthcare human in the digital era: In italics [Conference session]. SXSW Conference, Austin, TX, United States. https://schedule.sxsw.com/2020/events/PP98262 (Conference canceled)

However, using the Zotero APA 7 default style (updated 3/23/2020), the full dates are not provided. For instance, "March 2-5, 2020" in the Zotero entry, and the reference APA 7 style has "(2020, March 2)." Rather, APA 7 would have it as "(2020, March 2-5)."

Any possibility of updating the styles to match this format?
  • edited April 18, 2020
    For unpublished conference presentations, use the Presentation type, which follows these rules. “Conference Paper” is for papers published in formal conference proceedings, which are cited like journal articles or book chapters.

For date ranges, currently you need to enter those into Extra like this:
    Issued: 2020-03-02/2020-03-05
  • This was a good temporary workaround. I left the date field with the date range, too ("March 2-5, 2020"), so that it's ready for when the APA style is updated for this.

For the URLs as formatted in Word, any chance of inserting a zero-width space after all forward slashes which follow the domain name? This really helps with cleaning up bibliographies.
  • For the URLs as formatted in Word, any chance of inserting a zero-width space after all forward slashes which follow the domain name? This really helps with cleaning up bibliographies.
    I'm pretty sure that breaks the actual links, though, so that'd be a bad idea
  • Yes, don't do that. Let Word handle the line breaks in URLS.
  • so that it's ready for when the APA style is updated for this.
    It's not an APA style issue. The APA style already will include a date range if one is provided (that's what you are doing in Extra). The issue is that the Date field in Zotero doesn't currently correctly parse date ranges.
  • Ah, okay, I see. Thanks to both of you for your response.
  • Hi All,
    I wanted to see if anyone had the same issue as I have. I've been able to successfully transfer a Zotero-linked document from Google Docs to Word (APA 7), but have been attempting to switch the in-text citations to endnotes. Zotero does not seem to offer this option even in Word for APA 7 (it does for Chicago note and full note). Has anyone been able to generate APA 7 with endnotes in Zotero? Is there a way to change this in the formatting code?

Thanks!
  • APA is an in-text style by definition, so you can't move it to endnotes (The Chicago styles you mention are note-based styles in contrast; you can also not move those into the text). What exactly are you looking for? Author date in endnotes or the whole citation in endnotes?
  • You can download footnote versions of APA style from here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bwiernik/zotero-tools/master/apa-fullnote.csl and https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bwiernik/zotero-tools/master/apa-note.csl

Note that as adamsmith says, actual APA style does not use endnotes; it's an in-text style. So if you are submitting to a journal asking for APA style, I suggest you use the in-text version.
  • Thanks for this advice! I was skeptical at first as well, this is for an undergraduate journal that uses APA and specifically prefers endnotes (I double-checked because it didn't make sense to me either).

I'm looking for the whole citation in endnotes, with the reduced citations for the subsequent notes, but subject to APA style. Zotero was able to convert my in-text citations to endnotes in Word when using Chicago, but APA was not an option.

I'll try using this code, I should be able to directly copy and paste it into the Style Editor and save it as a new citation format, correct?

Thanks again!
  • No, you don't need to use the Style Editor. Just save the .csl file to disk and add it to Zotero from the Cite pane of the preferences with the + button.
  • Should this still work if I'm using a Mac? It auto saves as a txt file.
  • Yes, it works. Just remove the .txt extension.