Turabian Citation

Will Zotero 2.0 support Turabian style?
  • Zotero currently supports Chicago Manual of Style in both foot/endnote and author-date styles. Turabian is based on these, though I haven't compared the two in detail to see if there are any differences. Are you thinking (or can you find) any thing that you need in Turabian which isn't in Zotero's present Chicago Manual of Style support?

If it needs doing, it can probably be done, and likely well before Zotero 2.0 comes out, but do spell out any requirements you have on the forums.
  • edited February 27, 2009
    Yes, please do add the Turabian citation style.
  • @philgons: As the post immediately preceding yours shows, there are people around who are willing to pitch in, but you need to be just a little bit helpful to the cause. The Turabian guide describes two styles, which track the Chicago Manual note style and the Chicago Manual author-date + bibliography style. If there are differences between those styles and the requirements given in the Turabian guide, please lend a hand by pointing them out.
  • edited April 8, 2009
    Here is the latest Turabian quick citation guide:

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/turabian/turabian_citationguide.html

The intro confirms: "These styles are essentially the same as those presented in The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, with slight modifications for the needs of student writers." I can't find any difference between this guide and Chicago, except that Turabian seems to require an access date for all web sources while Chicago makes it optional.

To add access date to any Chicago style, after the url add the access date macro:
    <text variable="URL"/>
    <group prefix=" (" suffix=")">
    <text term="accessed" suffix=" "/>
    <date variable="accessed" suffix=", ">
    <date-part name="month" suffix=" "/>
    <date-part name="day" suffix=", "/>
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </group>
  • Thanks, Frank. I'm working with some others to compile a list of all of the differences between CMOS and Turabian and will post back here when we're done.
  • Phil, I'd be happy to dig into CSL and make the Turabian style once you've posted the differences between Chicago and Turabian. It wasn't clear to me if anyone had already specifically volunteered to do so, so I'd be fine with deferring to anyone who already is planning to make the Zotero style.

I'd be happy to compare the two styles as well, but if you're already doing so there's no point in my duplicating the effort.
  • By the way, since Zotero supports EndNote styles, I suppose you could get the EndNote Turabian style from the Thompson website and add it to Zotero. But because Thompson is very clear that they're licensing their styles only for use with EndNote, I strongly recommend that you don't do this. It's a pity that the EndNote styles aren't open-source. That leads to a lot of duplicated work.

Besides, when I used EndNote the Turabian style didn't work properly anyway. It probably still doesn't.
  • edited March 15, 2009
    Please post the differences between Turabian and Chicago here before adding new styles. Chicago styles need to be revised from time to time to support more item types or correct errors. In addition, I'm waiting on complex schema changes in Zotero to fix many imperfections in Chicago (for example, formatting patents, films, and legal citations).

Currently I have to update eight Chicago styles every time I make a change, and I just don't have the time and patience to extend these revisions to similar styles such as SBL or Chicago Author-Date DE. (By the way, if anyone wants to go over these branch styles and apply recent changes please do so.) If Turabian differences are slight, it may be worth it to just list Turabian in Zotero repository as a dependent style (i.e. identical to Chicago)--then it will always include the latest changes. Of course, if Turabian is significantly different, then this won't work--but I'm still waiting to be convinced that it is.
  • There is now a version of Turabian available at in the styles repository. Please note that you'll need Zotero 1.5b1 or later to use it.
  • That's great! Thanks, Sean.
  • edited March 16, 2009
    Looks good. Thanks for doing this!

FWIW, to follow up on my previous post above, I think all of the things that I originally thought were differences between Chicago and Turabian turned out to be issues that Zotero presently can't handle properly, like: or my own ignorance of which item types to use (e.g., conference papers).

Other issues I notice that also need addressing globally, not just for Turabian, include known things like: So, I'm afraid I'm not able to offer much help if Turabian does differ from Chicago beyond the need for the date an online resource was accessed. But perhaps there aren't any other differences. I'll post back here if I find out otherwise.
  • Phil: You might want to check for differences such as "Edited by" (Chicago) and "ed." (Turabian) for books that have an author and also an editor. I seem to remember that as being a difference.
  • edited March 18, 2009
    Thanks, Lincoln. Best I can tell, though, Chicago and Turabian are the same when it comes to books with an author and editor and/or translator.

Here's what I'm getting with the new Turabian style for a book:

N: Francis Turretin, Institutes of Elenctic Theology, ed. James T. Dennison, trans. George Musgrave Giger (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 1992), 1:44–89.

B: Turretin, Francis. Institutes of Elenctic Theology. Edited by James T. Dennison. Translated by George Musgrave Giger. 3 vols. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 1992.

Here's what I'm getting for a book section:

N: Francis Turretin, “The One and Triune God,” in Institutes of Elenctic Theology, ed. James T. Dennison, trans. George Musgrave Giger (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 1992), 1:169–310.

B: Turretin, Francis. “The One and Triune God.” In Institutes of Elenctic Theology, edited by James T. Dennison, translated by George Musgrave Giger, 1:169–310. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 1992.

This seems to accord properly with Turabian's 7th ed. There are three problems (i.e., [1] not being able to include Jr. for Dennison, [2] not being able to handle the title for the individual volume, and [3] inserting two spaces before "Edited by" and "Translated by" in the bibliographic entry), but as far as I can tell, none of them is a problem with Chicago vs. Turabian.
  • [3] inserting two spaces before "Edited by" and "Translated by" in the bibliographic entry)
    This is now fixed and should be automatically updated in your Zotero shortly.
  • Sweet. Thanks!
  • Perhaps I'm mistaken, but shouldn't 2nd ed. appear in this bibliographic entry?

Pierard, Richard V. “Warfield, Benjamin Breckinridge (1851–1921).” In New Twentieth-Century Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, edited by J. D. Douglas. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1991.

Or is it proper to drop the edition number when citing a section of a book?

I always include it, but I can't find confirmation one way or another. Does anyone know?
  • edited April 14, 2009
    This was a bug, thanks. It's now fixed and should be available shortly from the Z styles repository. Not sure why the changes are not showing up at the moment on the styles page.
  • Cool. Thanks!
  • erazlogo,

Great work on the Turabian style -- been using it daily. I've read a few of your posts on how to insert the date macro but can't crack the code on how its done. Are you planning on publishing an updated Turabian style with the date macro added soon?

Thanks,
    Dean
  • Are you planning on publishing an updated Turabian style with the date macro added soon?
    This is now done.
  • I'm working in German using Turabian. Everything is okay so far, but for websites it has the date in the wrong format.

It uses
    (zugegriffen Juni 23, 2009)

but in German it should be
    (zugegriffen am 23. Juni 2009)

Add the "am" and date format should be Day. Month Year

Thanks!
  • edited November 30, 2009
    Hi. I have a question. Not sure if this is related to the actual Turabian style or if it's some option that I have to dig for in Zotero. Here it goes - If I choose Turabian footnotes, the citation is a number, but if I choose endnote, the citation is roman numerals. I need Turabian endnotes with numbers. I looked through the discussion for an answer, but didn't come across any with a similar issue. From what I understand, Turabian always uses numbers. Is this something I can change without having to edit the style?

Thanks!!

Jase
  • That's something you will have to (and can) adjust in your word processor - how and where exactly depends, of course, on the word processor you are using, but looking into the footnotes or the formatting dialogue is probably the way to go.
    Zotero has no influence on the footnote/endnote symbol or number used.
  • Hi all! I hope this isn't the wrong thread... When chosing Turabian, I get the URL in citations, also in the bibliography, too. There are items/files (like JSTOR papers) which I assign the URL so than I can reach them later, but I don't want them to be shown at the citations/bibliography. I've tried the "Include URL....." option, but still no worth... This is the only point where Turabian misses the standard we use, so can anyone help resolving it? Thanks in advance!
  • right thread.
    The "include URL" should be unchecked - that way URLs only get included when there is no page range - i.e. not for most papers from JSTOR.
    If you don't want the URL in any case that's would probably require a slight (but easy) modification of the style, but before I walk you through that I want to understand what exactly you need. Could you give some examples of where the URL appears and shouldn't?`Could you also maybe give an example or two where you would want a URL?
  • Thank you! For the direct answer and also for the solution at http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8909/include-url-of-option/ ("...and change the line <if type="legal_case" match="none"> to <if type="legal_case book chapter" match="none"> ..."), which seems to have solve my problem.
    I don't want the url's to appear at all (except web pages, of course), and instead of
    <if type="legal_case" match="none">
    I typed
    <if type="legal_case book thesis chapter article-journal article-newspaper article-magazine" match="none">
    and that it was :)
    I'm not sure if this is the right technical solution, but it made the url's disappear. Thanks again!
  • edited September 10, 2010
    Hi,
    I am using the Turbarian style. The footnote format is fine, but the Bibliography should be formatted to reverse the name of the author giving Surname, Name (only of the first author in the case of multiple authors.) It doesn't do that for me - I have to manually change the authors so that they can be listed alphabetically. Can anything be done about that? I have no technical expertise.
  • both Turabian styles currently do this - i.e.

Lastname1, Firstname1, and Firstname2 Lastname2

check your Zotero data - it needs to be in the two field format to work correctly - i.e. you need to see Lastname, Firstname in Zotero.
  • Thanks a million adamsmith. I hadn't seen the button for the two field format. That's a great relief.
  • My version of Turabian requires the bib to place 6pts between each entry. I am getting no space on Turabian and Chicago.

How, exactly can I use by EndNote items with Z?