Word plugin errors with Word 2016 for Mac version 16.9

• edited January 20, 2018
    Can you provide precise steps to reproduce it in a new document?

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_steps_to_reproduce
  • edited January 20, 2018
    The Report ID is 80077534

I receive an error message when I try to modify a citation in a Word document, and Zotero will not proceed with the operation.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new Word document. Open Zotero.
    2. Type some text (twrf)
    3. Place cursor after text and click "Add/Edit Citation".
    4. Preferences menu appears, select Chicago (note) Style.
    5. Menu appears to select reference. Select any one entry from the Zotero library and indicate that citation is from page 1.
    6. Place cursor in resulting citation field created in footnote, and click Add/Edit Citation.

Zotero displays the message:
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[prepareReadFieldCode:document.m:205]
  • OK, thanks, that I can reproduce. It looks like editing citations in footnotes isn't yet working in 16.9. (Editing citations works in in-text citations.) We'll try to have a fix out soon. As a workaround, you can obviously just delete and reinsert the citation.
  • Same here. I can add a citation now, but editing is not possible.

"The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.) @[prepareReadFieldCode:document.m:205]"

Really appreciate your efforts!
  • same here. would be very grateful for a solution for this. thank you!
  • This problem also occurs in LibreOffice 5.0.2.2
  • @gusfer: This thread is entirely about Mac Word — no LibreOffice code was changed. So you should start a new thread and provide exact steps to reproduce the problem you're facing (after upgrading to LibreOffice 5.3 or later, since 5.0.x.x isn't supported).
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one. I am also a mac user and completed the Word update a couple days ago. I didn't notice the issue because I was not editing citations until today. It seems that my issue is minor compared to when the issue started 2 days ago:

I can add citations, but my bibliography is not formatting properly. When I attempt to edit a citation Word prompts me to use Mendeley.

Thank you for the hard work attempting to resolve these issues.
  • @smlreid Do you also have the Mendeley plugin installed? And you get that message when you use the Zotero Add/Edit Citation Button? Zotero doesn’t have any text that refers to Mendeley.
  • Sorry. Problem: on my Mac 10.13.2, zotero 5.0.34.2 does not work with word 16.9, last update (firefox and safari). Should I download an update? if so where? if not, should we wait or give up? thanks in advance.
    Toujours problème: sur mon Mac 10.13.2, zotero 5.0.34.2 ne fonctionne pas avec word 16.9, dernnière mise à jour (firefox et safari). Faut-il télécharger une mise à jour? si oui où? si non, faut-il patienter ou renoncer? d'avance merci.
  • @Ruolt: The plugin from 5.0.34.2 should work (mostly) fine with 16.9, except for the problem described above where it's not possible to edit existing citations in footnotes, which will be fixed soon.

If you're having trouble, try reinstalling the plugin from the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences and restart Word, and if you're still having trouble after that start a new thread and provide a Report ID and more information on what exactly is happening.
  • Hi, I am on Mac 10.13.2 with zotero 5.0.34.1.
    The previously neat Bibliography fell apart. There is no segregation between citations and there are no tabs, second and third lines are positioned the same as the first.
    Is this something you are aware of? Thanks
  • I am using APA 6th style
  • @dstillman I have upgraded Zotero for 5.0.34.2. I just tried editing an existing footnote but the dialogue box opens very fast and closes almost instantly. So, I am not able to do the editing. I can't explain this.
  • @dstillman please ignore my query, it is now sorted
  • bwiernik,

I do have the Mendeley plug-in still installed in Word. I was using it as my reference manager prior to switching to Zotero over a year ago. I have never had this message before... It happened, not when I clicked on the add/edit button in the Zotero plug-in, but when I clicked on the actual citation in my document. Really odd, I have just installed the Zotero update and restarted Word so hopefully, the issue is resolved.

Thanks again :-)
  • Yes, that sounds like some sort of odd behavior of the Mendeley plugin, not Zotero. I would recommend removing the Mendeley plugin from Word.
  • Same here :(
  • edited January 21, 2018
    Mac 10.13.2, zotero 5.0.34.2 does not work with word 16.9, the footnote skips, and the note call disappears / la note de bas de page saute, et l'appel de note disparait.
    Where to find the Report ID? Sorry. ??? Your userID for use in API calls is 2196508

_______________________________________________________________________________
    @Ruolt: The plugin from 5.0.34.2 should work (mostly) fine with 16.9, except for the problem described above where it's not possible to edit existing citations in footnotes, which will be fixed soon.

If you're having trouble, try reinstalling the plugin from the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences and restart Word, and if you're still having trouble after that start a new thread and provide a Report ID and more information on what exactly is happening.
    Ruolt today at 9:33am
    Sorry. Problem: on my Mac 10.13.2, zotero 5.0.34.2 does not work with word 16.9, last update (firefox and safari). Should I download an update? if so where? if not, should we wait or give up? thanks in advance.
    Toujours problème: sur mon Mac 10.13.2, zotero 5.0.34.2 ne fonctionne pas avec word 16.9, dernnière mise à jour (firefox et safari). Faut-il télécharger une mise à jour? si oui où? si non, faut-il patienter ou renoncer? d'avance merci.
  • @Csutka can I ask how you sorted out this problem? Or @dstillman ? My bibliography has lost all formatting due to this problem with word 16.9 and I can't seem to fix the problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plug in but the bibliography still can't be edited, refreshed or formatted.
  • edited January 21, 2018
    I am using an old word 2012 while waiting for a corrective update. I also redownload the plugin, in vain.
    / j'utilise un ancien word 2012 en attendant une mise à jour corrective. J'ai aussi retéléchargé le plugin, en vain.
  • edited January 22, 2018
    I'm so glad that this issue wasn't just me. I was tearing my hair out.

I can confirm that with the latest version of Word, I too have lost the ability to edit citations. (Zotero 5.0.34.2; Word for Mac 16.9; OSX 10.13.2)

@dstillman : Someone mentioned it above, but I'm not sure that you saw. I and others have lost the ability to insert citations into an existing descriptive footnote. Report ID: 1393691599

Steps to reproduce:
    1. New word file.
    2. Insert footnote.
    3. Add text.
    4. Zotero add/edit citation.
    5. Select CSL from document preferences.
    6. Click OK.

This produces an error where the dialogue box for entering bibliographic details appears, then immediately closes before any data can be entered.

Many thanks to the Zotero team for working on a fix.

T
  • Yes, we're aware, thanks — it's a general issue with modifying citations in footnotes that we'll have a fix for shortly.
  • Hello - I too am having trouble editing existing citations when I started a new document in the new Word program. However an older document seems to be still working ok in compatability mode which seems strange. (Zotero 5.0.34.2; Word for Mac 16.9; OSX 10.13.2)
    Hoping this problem gets sorted soon. Many thanks.
  • Zotero 5.0.34.3 is out now with a fix for editing citations in footnotes in Word 16.9. You can update from Tools -> "Check for Updates…" in Zotero. Let us know if you run into any further problems with 16.9.
  • The new version behaves strangely. Now I can insert citations (i.e. there is communication btw Word and Zotero), but when Word is processing a new citation, which takes up to a few minutes, the document keeps flashing and I cannot work on it. I'm using Zotero standalone.
  • Thanks for your efforts!

Now I can edit citations, but when I do, the citation keeps flashing for about 30 seconds. After that, the citation is edited correctly, though.
  • @peterhellstrom @TJtom

Are you saying that citation editing has slowed down considerably in addition to the flashing, or was it always taking a while, but now you get the flashing?
  • All seems to be working fine with me now. Many thanks for getting onto this so quickly!! :0)
  • It took always a few seconds until the citation got updated. But now it takes almost twice as long, I'd say.
This discussion has been closed.