Can't install Word plugin

This discussion was created from comments split from: [5.0 beta] Constant Sync conflicts.
  • Adamsmith, can you give me some guidance. On the cite tab (in preferences) when i click on the "install Microsoft Word Add-in" nothing happens at all. Not sure how to make it install.
  • I'm not sure why you posted to that other thread, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with your issue, but we'll need a Report ID to start.
  • I followed the link above (Report ID) but am unsure exactly what I am meant to do.

I have just purchased (two days ago) a iMac computer. It is running macOS Sierra Version 10.12.5.
    I installed Microsoft Office 2016 (which I also have running on my MacBook Air). I then downloaded Zotero Standalone (latest version). I have been able to open my library, but I am having huge problems adding Zotero as an add-on for Word.
    I followed one forum post, trying various solution but nothing seems to work. I have restarted the computer, and uninstalled and reinstalled Zotero.

It works fine on my MacBook Air, but not sure what I am doing wrong on the iMac.
  • Hello, I am having the same problem as LELukin, but in Windows. It says the
    Microsoft Word Add-in is installed, but the Zotero menu is not appearing in Word. When I click on the Re-install Microsoft Word Add-In button, nothing happens. I'm using Microsoft Word 2016 and Zotero 5.0.

Thanks for any help you can give.
  • Mine doesn't even say it is installed. It says that it isn't, but when i click the install button nothing happens.
  • I've tried to clarify the instructions on https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems What we'd like you to do is to press the Re-install Word component button and then click "Report Error" in the Help menu, send the error report, and post the Error Report ID here.
  • I have typed everything into the Report Error dialog box, and when I pressed send a Chrome window opened up which does not appear to have anything to do with Zotero.
  • You shouldn't type (or be able to type, for that matter) anything into the error report. You should just click "Report Error" then "Next" and the copy the number and paste it here.

Could you do this again and describe exactly where you click and what you see? If an odd window pops up, we'd need to know exactly what that says, too.
  • Sorry, I am new to Mac - and I think I was still in Chrome (not Zotero). I have clicked the Zotero Error Report and this is what it says:

No errors have been logged since Zotero started.

version => 5.0.4, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.12, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.4, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.3.SA.5.0.4, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.1.SA.5.0.4, extension)
  • and this is after clicking the "Reinstall Word Components" button in the Cite tab of the Options?
  • Where would I find the "re-install Word component" button? Should that appear under the Zotero Preferences/Cite/Word Processors tab?
  • When I go to Preferences, then go to the Cite tab, it has two options: Styles or Word Processors. If I click the Word Processors button it then gives me two choices:

Install Microsoft Word Add-In or
    Install LibreOffice Add-in

But clicking the Word button has done nothing
  • I understood that. What I asked was whether you pressed the Report Errors button *after* clicking the Install Microsoft Word Add-In button.
  • I just tried again and this came up . Report ID: 1015640613
  • Does your user account on the computer have limited privileges or you have security software installed?

You can attempt manual installation
  • I don't think that there is security software installed (I haven't installed any) and I am the only user, so I don't think there are any limits. I have tried the manual installation. At number 1 I was able to navigate to the folder with the Zotero.dotm in it but was unable to find the Word startup folder.
  • Okay, I think I have found it, and I think that I have made it work, using the manual installation. The folders weren't all that easy to find, but I have copied the Zotero.dotm over, and have now been able to add it in. Thank you for your patience.
  • On my MacBook Air I am running Zotero 4.0.29.15 when I open word I have a tab that says Add-ins, when I click on that I get 7 Zotero buttons to choose from. In the new version I only get 5. The first one isAdd/Edit citation. Each time I use it it asks me what style I want. I use Chicago and so the first time you use a citation it appears in a longer format that subsequent citations. The old version does this automatically. How do I set it up to do the same in the updated version?
  • The functionality is essentially the same in Zotero 4.0 and 5.0. You always get prompted to choose a style when first inserting into a document. Zotero 5.0 simply combines the icons and makes them contextual: the Add/Edit button will edit a citation if the cursor is in one, otherwise it will insert a new citation.
  • edited September 3, 2017
    Hello. I have just installed Zotero, so I am new in this.
    I am having the same problem as Rebzu. It says the Microsoft Word Add-in is installed, but the Zotero menu doesn't appear in Word. I have reinstalled Microsoft Word Add-In button, but it doesn't solve anything.
    I'm using Microsoft Word 2016 and the lastest version of Zotero.
    My report ID is: 138530269

Thank you in advance.

• I just updated to Zotero 5 on Windows because the old version would no longer show edthe Word plugin. Unfortunately it still does not work with Zotero 5 although I have reinstalled the plugin several times, both through the Preferences > CIte menu and manually.

My report ID is 1955457533

When I tried to install zotero.dotm manually as directed on the Zotero website, Word would not add the plugin to its list because apparently it is not an executable file.
  • What's the exact error message you're getting from Word when you try to install manually? That doesn't sound right -- Word template files are never executable.
  • I have the same issue. Zotero 4 works for my another machine. I can see the add in button. But I installed zotero 5 on my another machine and I cannot see the add in button.
  • Same troubleshooting steps:
    Try re-installing from the Cite tab, if that doesn't work, try manual install. If those don't work, be as specific as possible in describing how.
  • OK. I solved the issue by updating my office to the latest version.....
  • Hi, I am having the same (or at least a similar) issue as LELukin. I am getting set up on a new MacBook Pro. I just installed the newest version of Zotero. It says the Word Plugin was successfully installed, but Zotero does not show up as an option when I open Word. I have tried reinstalling several times via Preferences-> Cite in Zotero, followed by restarting Word. I have also followed the instructions given to LELukin to install the plugin manually. When I did the manual install, I could see that the Zotero.dotm file was actually already. I'm not sure why Zotero is not showing up when I open Word. Please help!

Here is my Report ID: 1988335573

Thank you in advance,
    Joy
  • @joypalacios try these instructions and then follow up in that thread, if it is not resolved.
  • Hello, I am having the same problem as LELukin and rebzu but in Windows. It says the Microsoft Word Add-in is installed successfully, but the Zotero menu is not appearing in Word. When I click on the Re-install Microsoft Word Add-In button, nothing happens. I'm using Microsoft Word 2016 and Zotero 5.0 and Windows 10. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, using different web browsers and everything else.

My case number is:
  • @arynalanizi See https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_tab_does_not_appear_in_the_word_ribbon

If that doesn't help, please start a new thread to continue discussing your issue (it is better to create a new thread than to post on an old one if the issue is not exactly the same one).