Office Mac 2011

• Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling Word 2011? I don't think anything could cause this besides an issue with Word.
  • I got the same results as rfarris. I'm going to uninstall Office 2011 and install Office 2008 instead.
  • I uninstalled office 2008 completely and still have the same problem.
  • mpiuzzi, did you try uninstalling and reinstalling Word 2011?
  • Have completed the full uninstall/reinstall of 2011 with the same error code:

Report # 257008769

Again, upon quitting, 'Word could not fire event'; is this a Normal.dotm problem?
  • edited December 20, 2010
    Are you doing a custom install of Office? If so, you should make sure that the "Visual Basic for Applications" package is checked. I've confirmed that both the Zotero error and the "Could not fire event" error on quit appear if it isn't, but installing it seems to fix it for me.
  • Error Solved!

Thanks for your persistence Simon.

Oh the folly of the custom install......
  • Great. Thanks for your patience. I've added this to the word processor plug-in troubleshooting page so that it will be easier to come across for other users experiencing the same issue.
  • Simon, not yet I'll do that today.
  • I uninstalled office 2011 (not very straghtforward) then reinstalled but I keep having the same error
  • After complete uninstall/install of both Office and Zotero a new error has appeared. When I try to do a Zotero-related action in Word from the scripts menu it tells me "Zotero could not perform this action. Please ensure that a document is open. If you have performed a custom installation of Office, you may need to run the installer again, ensuring "Visual Basic for Applications" is selected.

VBA is indeed installed as I did a default install.

This time I could send the error report, the report ID is 156155386.

I hope you'll be able to track down the problem.
  • The problem is that when Zotero asks Word for the active document, Word returns "missing value." You should be able to verify this by running

tell application "Microsoft Word" to active document

in /Applications/Utilities/AppleScript Editor and looking at the result below. Unfortunately, Zotero can't do much without a reference to the active document, so at this point it bails. Since this is a bug in Word that I'm unable to reproduce, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. You might want to verify that the script above fails, and if it does, you could try posting on the Microsoft for Mac forums or feedback form.
  • Simon, the script always returns "missing value" for "active document". I'm trying to see why but contacting the Microsoft Mac team would be a good idea.
  • I've posted on the office for mac forum, the thread can be accessed using this link : http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/Word/12838/

It seems that the reference to "active document" has to be avoided, but I don't know why I'm the only one affected by this problem.
  • hi: I seem to be having the same issues everyone else is having w/ the error messages. Here is the error screenshot similar to davidram:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1771/screenshot20110129at602.png

I've done all the same necessary tasks above on this thread to debug, re-installing, deleting the Zotero folder in the MSUserData etc. but I am still getting the same error msgs. I'm not sure if I completely understand how some Zotero plug-ins are working on MSWord 2011 while others are not.

report ID. 1711627465

osx 10.6.6
    ff v.3.6.13
    MS Word 2011 v.14.0.1
    Zotero 2.0.8 w/ PythonExt 2.6.2 and MacWord Integration 3.0b7

Thx for your help! ;)
  • I am unable to use the MS Word Plug in with Mac Office 11. Running Zotero 2.1b5. Everytime I invoke the plug in I get the message:
    Zotero 2.1b5 requires Zotero MacWord Integration 3.1a0 or later. Please download the latest version of Zotero MacWord Integration from zotero.org.
    I then download the latest version of MacWord Integration, and the same message appears.
    Can someone help? Have a manuscript on deadline. Stupidly, this was the first time I relied on Zotero RTF scan to format a document and so this is a big problem.
    Thanks.
  • are you sure you have the plugins from here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/2.1_beta
    The beta version needs new plugins - have you checked you version in FF--> Tools-->Add-ons?

Also, I don't understand your mention of RTF scan - if you use RTF scan you don't need/can't use the word plugin.
  • Thanks. I did need to install the new beta plug-ins, and they have been working fine up till a little while ago. (The RTF scan was a separate issue, sorry for confusion).
    The odd thing is, I have now successfully used the plug in, "add citation," the window opens, I can select single or multiple citations, etc. For some reason, it has just stopped working cold. I can still invoke the command, which creates a footnote in Word, goes to the window, allows me to select a citation, but when I click ok, nothing happens. Have tried eliminating cite, and redoing. Have tried using a different citation, and moving to a new page. It's like it has just hung, but not really: it just doesn't execute the add citation command.
  • Can you generate an error report?
  • Yes, Here you go: 1537018654
    Since this post I've tried restarting Word and Firefox, tried different citations, pages, etc.
    thank you
  • This looks like a citeproc-js-related issue that will be fixed for 2.1b6. If you don't mind running even more untested software, you can try the trunk XPI, but 2.1b6 should be out in a week or so.
  • Ok. Do you think trunk XPI will fix?
    thanks.
  • 2.1.1 still doesn't work for me with Word for Mac 2011... I have installed Zotero MacWord Integration 3.1.1 but I always get an error saying installation failed when I restart FF. It's also slightly confusing because the website says the plugin works with word 2011 but the short description of the installed plugin only mentions 2004 and 2008.

Thanks!
  • Greg, it is important to generate the report, so Zotero community can help you. Regards
  • Hi, it works now... I installed the plugin from a second FF profile, which worked without any problem. Then I tried whether the plugin also works with my main FF profile and it does. So I changed the setting in 'wordPluginInstalled' about:config (something like this) to true because the preferences were still indicating that the plugin is not installed. Now I had an option to reinstall the plugin from my main profile, which still does not work. Reinstalling from the other profile does work however.
    In sum, the plugin works for both FF profiles but the installation only worked from one...

Thanks!
  • It would still be great to have a report ID for the reinstallation failure. Otherwise, you might run into trouble if we modify the scripts used for communication with Firefox.
  • The error report ID is 2081726596. Thanks!
  • I'm experiencing similar problems and just found out this post.
    Please have a look at:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/17127/macword-2011-report-id-343928660-and-also-581386599-and-739722044/#Item_1
  • Hi all,
    I've just bought a new Macbook Pro (early 2011) with Mac Office 2011 and I've installed Zotero Standalone and plug-ins.
    I've been using Zotero in my Firefox browser with a Office 2010 plug in on my office PC for quite some time, but I'm totally lost when it comes to using Zotero Standalone on the Mac! (I don't want to use the Firefox version as I prefer using Safari.)
    I've done the installs as per instruction but I can't even work out how to add a citation in Office 2011!!! Please could someone help me?
    Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
This discussion has been closed.