Office Mac 2011

• Hi,
    I have the same problem,
    I installed word 2011, no zotero menu when I click on the script icon
    then I have tried to reinstall zotero with the plugin for word : no effect
    then I have installed the betas version : no effect
    and moreover, i have lost the integration for word 2008...

I have a french version of word.

many thks for your help

ZOtero is a great software !!!
  • edited October 31, 2010
    Marc, this is not the same problem as anything reported above. Have you followed the steps here and here?
  • Hi Simon
    It works !!!
    actually, I have deleted the zotero directory in the microsoft user data, then reinstall the zotero integration module. and now it's ok

thks you very much
    Marc
  • HI, I can confirm that zotero 2.0.9 is working well on office mac 2011. Thanks to all of you.

Regards

from México
  • Do you have a Zotero Toolbar in Word 2011?
    I can only access it from the Menu
  • No from the script menu, but it works anyway.
  • Davidram, could you please explain in simple language what we need to do to have Zotero functional in Word 2011 Mac? (I've read through the postings here, but don't have a clear understanding.) Thanks! Glad you've figured it out.

Just installed Office 2011 and am appreciating the new version of Word, except for not having figured out Zotero integration.
  • Hi. The only thing you have to do is installing Zotero, and after that installing the word plug in. After you will be able to use it in Word thought the script menu.
  • See here for (approximate) image:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/no_toolbar_in_word_2008_plugin
  • Just remember that the right zotero version is 2.0.9 not the beta.

Regards

From México.
  • edited November 19, 2010
    davidram, thanks!

Took an additional step to get it to work. So, for others to see, the steps that worked for me were:

1. close Word
    2. install PythonExt into Zotero
    3. install Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0b5 into Zotero
    ( regarding the above two steps, see
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation )
    4. in Firefox, under the Tools menu go to "add-ons," and then in "add-ons" go to "Zotero MacWord Integration" and click on "preferences" there. Click on "reinstall Word components."
    ( regarding step 4 or problems with non-English versions of Word, see http:///word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#scripts_do_not_appear_in_word_20082011_or_are_incompatible )
    5. open Word. Zotero should now be listed under the scripts menu.

Glad it worked for me. Hopefully, this info is useful to others
  • I'm using a french word 2011 and if I see the Zotero script menu, I cannot get it to work. When I try to insert a citation it asks for the citation type and then shows an error. I've tried to reinstall the zotero word integration plugin but with no success. Even the 2.1 b2 doesn't work. However, it still works with word 2008 that I kept installed. Any idea ?
  • Re-trigger the error and post a report ID.
  • Zotero gets stuck on "Please wait while the error report is submitted" so I cannot get a report ID. However, my problem looks like the same as davidram above and his report ID is 256993417. It does seem that he couldn't find a solution to his problem.

The problem occurs with zotero 2.1b2 and MacWord integration 3.1a2 (as well as previous versions) when adding a citation to a word 2011 document.

Steps to reproduce the problem :

1 - Open Firefox
    2 - Open Word
    3 - Use Add Citation from the scripts menu
    4 - Choose any citation style and click ok
  • There are many circumstances that could result in similar error messages, and davidram posted above you stating that Zotero is working for him with Word 2011. Can you trigger the error and try generating a report ID again? If that doesn't work, copy the error output from the Report Errors window and paste it here.
  • My bad, I didn't see that davidram solved his problem. Here is the error output :

ERROR:xpcom:Unhandled exception calling 'int8 setDocumentData(in wstring);'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Users/marc/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/nq0ndjuv.default/extensions/pythonext@mozdev.org/pylib/xpcom/server/policy.py", line 277, in _CallMethod_
    return 0, func(*params)
    File "/Users/marc/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/nq0ndjuv.default/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/pylib/MacWord.py", line 212, in setDocumentData
    self.properties.setProperty(PREFS_PROPERTIES[0], documentData)
    File "/Users/marc/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/nq0ndjuv.default/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/pylib/MacWord.py", line 955, in setProperty
    with_properties={k.name:docPropertyName, k.value:docPropertyValue})
    File "/Users/marc/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/nq0ndjuv.default/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/pylib/appscript/reference.py", line 499, in __call__
    raise CommandError(self, (args, kargs), e, self.AS_appdata)
    CommandError: Command failed:
    OSERROR: -1708
    COMMAND: app(u'/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app/').make(new=k.custom_document_property, with_properties={k.name: u'ZOTERO_PREF_1', k.value: u'<data data-version="3" zotero-version="2.1b2"><session id="Z5tutkTV"/><style id="http://www.zotero.org/styles/harvard1" hasBibliography="1" bibliographyStyleHasBeenSet="0"/><prefs><pref name="fieldType" value="Field"/><pref name="noteType" value="0"/></pr'}, at=app(u'/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app/').active_document.end)

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [zoteroIntegrationDocument.setDocumentData]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: anonymous :: line 452" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 452}]
  • I get this error if there is no document open in Word, which would actually be the case strictly following those steps to reproduce on a default install, but I think you probably would have noticed if this were the case. Do you have any windows open in Word besides the document window?
  • Can the zotero dev team please make the plugin work with WORD 2011 FULL SCREEN VIEW. Thank you.
  • gm2240, this has been requested before, and would have the limitations described there.
  • On my setup, word opens a new document on startup. I get this error wether it is a new document or a complete one with existing bibliography. No other word windows are present. I hope that we will find where the problem is ... Could this be a problem related to Word's localization ?
  • I don't see how localization could produce this issue, but I can't reproduce it no matter what I try. Is there anything else strange about your system/installation that might help track this down?
  • I have both word 2008 and 2010 installed, may it interfere ?
  • I have a problem inserting citations in Mac 2011 Word. In Firefox, I have installed Zotero, MacWord Integration, and PythonExt. When I try to add a citation in Word, I get the error:

"Zotero experienced and error updating your document."

My report ID is: 960391268

I am using an English version of Word. The scripts appear to be in the correct directory. Why can't I add citations?
  • I too am unable to insert citations.
    "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

System: Mac OS 10.6.5 MSOffice 2011 Firefox 3.6.13
    Have power cycled laptop
    Have re-installed all components except MSOffice

Report ID 196798864
  • edited December 13, 2010
    rfarris and NicoleCB: unfortunately, while you're both getting the same error in your reports, I have very little idea what's causing it, as I've been completely incapable of reproducing it despite repeated attempts.

If you create a new document in Word, open /Applications/Utilities/AppleScript Editor, paste the following:

tell application "Microsoft Word" to make new custom document property at active document with properties {name:"ZOTERO_PREF_1", value:"<data><session id=\"65lGMSdx\"/><style id=\"http://www.zotero.org/styles/mla\" hasBibliography=\"0\"/><prefs><pref name=\"fieldType\" value=\"Field\"/><pref name=\"noteType\" value=\"0\"/></prefs></data>"}

and click "Run," do you also get an error? If so, if you type

tell application "Microsoft Word" to name of active document

and press "Run," what appears in the "Result" pane below where you enter the script?
  • Simon,
    Thanks for your prompt reply.

I went through your first step outlined above, pasting the whole paragraph and got the following error:
    error "Microsoft Word got an error: Can’t make class custom document property." number -2710 from custom document property to class

I then pasted in the single line below the multiple line command and also got the same error.

Thanks,
    Reid
  • Try just the second command without the first.
  • New blank document opened in Word
    ran
    'tell application "Microsoft Word" to name of active document'

result: missing value
  • additionally, after quitting Word after trying to run the applescripts above or after trying to add a citation with zotero I get an error message stating 'Word could not fire event' with a confirmation OK
This discussion has been closed.