New built-in Zotero support on Boox devices!

edited 27 days ago
I haven't seen this discussed on the forum yet, but updated Boox devices have built in Zotero support. You can add your Zotero account as a cloud service in the library tab and download papers from your Zotero account. The pdf-reader syncs your annotations back to Zotero. This lets you use the built in PDF-reader with its fast rendering of strokes and automatic recognition of underlining as pdf-highlights. So far it works on my boox note air 2 plus but not on my boox Nova air which has an older firmware.

The only problems I've come across so far:
* The sync does not always start automatically. I'm not sure what triggers it.
* Zotero recognizes highlighting and most underlining. However, drawings are treated as part of the page and can't be deleted in Zotero.
* It is difficult to find papers in the GUI so I use the Zotero app to put the pdfs in a collection and find them from the collection.
* I don't think it will work with epubs.

But it works very well. And there is much less lag with drawing than in the app.

My note air 2 plus is on the 2024-07-01 firmware.
  • Hi,
    Any other user of this built-in Zotero feature, who might share feedback?
  • edited 3 days ago
    well spotted - many thanks! @oyvindbs.

Just connected my Zotero account on Boox - the browsing is quite neat as it inherits the structure of the (web) library, also that it's quite responsive (think of using a file browser). However, as I use my own webdav for attachments - this is not supported by the built-in service on Boox, alas. However, with the built-in service I've been able to see the bibliographic details of my entries - just not the attachment itself.