Now available: Zotero 7

edited August 13, 2024
Please note: If you run into any problems with Zotero 7, please let us know in a new thread, not this thread. We can't troubleshoot problems in this thread.

We're thrilled to announce the release of Zotero 7:

https://www.zotero.org/blog/zotero-7/

If you're running Zotero 6, you can update now by going to Help → "Check for Updates…". We'll begin offering Zotero 7 as an automatic update within the next few weeks.

Existing Windows users should install 64-bit Zotero for the best performance. You can reinstall over your existing version without affecting your data. (We're going to try to enable upgrades from 32-bit Zotero 6 to 64-bit Zotero 7 before we enable automatic updates.)

Thanks to everyone who helped test the beta over the last year — the feedback and bug reports have been invaluable. If you're running the beta and would like to switch back to the release version at this time, you can reinstall it from the download page.

There's much more to come, and new features get added throughout Zotero's release cycle, so if there's something you're still waiting for, stay tuned!
  • Fantastic! Best Swiss knife to start a new semester!
  • Great news
  • Thank you to the Zotero development team for their efforts; Zotero 7 has indeed been released!
  • Amazing work. I started using the beta 1 week ago, the capability to annotate snapshots is what i was missing in my workflow. Apart from this, the amount of new features and the polish is incredible. Thanks a bunch!
  • Fantastic!
  • Congratulations to all the team members!
  • edited August 9, 2024
    I checked in here randomly (first time in many months) and saw the announcement, posted just an hour ago. Immediately read the update news and downloaded it. It's fantastic!! Thank you so much. Love the dark mode, love the new item pane with the document preview, and oh the vertical list of all (all!!!) the tabs open (you don't wanna know), the libraries and collections list is super useful. Brilliant update, I'd be so lost without Zotero.
    PS found 'wrapped scrolling' to show multiple pages - and never knew this was already there LOL. Great.
  • Congratulations! It's such a great release!
  • Congratulations to the whole team for this great achievement!

How do you go from beta to stable? When I updated today, the version was still in beta (7.0.0-beta.116+7f21da933).
  • @Skelbti: From my post above:
    If you're running the beta and would like to switch back to the release version at this time, you can reinstall it from the download page.
  • Is there a difference between the latest beta (116 for me) and the release version, and is the beta going to be updated independently from the release version going forward?
  • @Drag0nR3b0rn: There's no difference between beta 116 and the release version. The beta will continue to be updated frequently. If you want a more stable version with less-frequent updates going forward, you should switch to the release version.
  • Congratulations!
  • @dstillman got it. The beta is stable enough for me, and I actually like being on the cutting edge, so keeping the beta it is for me :-)
  • I have been checking for updates daily and it has just appeared!! Super excited to start using the new version!! I am a massive fan of this platform and have tried to convert every person I can!!

Do we have an estimate of when the iOS version will be available to download?

Thanks for the mammoth effort by everyone!!!
  • @mdugganmrcvs The iOS app isn't tied in versioning to the Zotero Desktop app, so that just continues to be available in the most recent version on the app store.
  • @adamsmith thanks very much for clarifying that.
  • Thanks for the upgrade! FWIW, on my MBA M1 16 GB Zotero takes between 800 and 900 MB RAM. So, beware if you are running Zotero on an older device.
  • Congratulations !
  • edited August 9, 2024
    Wow! Amazing! Huge congratulations! Looks spectacular! What a wonderful day!
  • Congratulations to everyone on the team!

Memory issues appear to be significantly improved on my old Intel MacBookPro. Am hugely enjoying reading ePubs in dark mode :)
  • Congratulation! This is great news. Thank you for the hard work.
  • Please, add more examples in documentation for attached files renaming. In particular, if possible, examples equivalent to possible configurations of Zotfile renaming for Zotero6
  • @iagogv: The wiki page lists every variable and transformation supported in Zotero 7. If you're trying to migrate a specific workflow, please start a new thread and include the ZotFile template you were using before.
  • Wonderful news! Congratulations to the team for releasing a great update.
    I've been using the beta for some months now. I've switched over to the official release today.
  • I know that many people (including me) were concerned whether and how this version of Zotero would duplicate Zotfile's functionality. I've explored the renaming markup a bit and it looks great!

However, I still can't figure out how to move the documents I attach to Zotero entries to a specified folder (something Zotfile did very well). Please let me know!
  • Nice!!! and thanks developer team!!!
  • Thanks for your work!
  • Great!

A significantly upgraded user experience!
  • Well done! Many thanks to all who collaborated on this project (っ´ω`c)♡