Now available: Zotero 7

• Nice! I look forward to it being faster (haven't tested enough yet), and the new interface is fun.

Just one request: the old interface did a better job of showing whether a selected record had notes or tags or whatnot; in the new interface, that's impossible to see unless I manually scroll down or click on each icon. Could you bring back the ability to instantly see whether notes / tags / etc. exist? Maybe change the icon from outline to solid fill, or bold lines, or slap parentheses with the number of notes/etc. over each icon, or something?
  • YES! this is awesome - thank you everyone who works on this, I rely on zotero for many things and am grateful to yall. Also the plugin Better Notes updated as well!! im lovin these updates so much <3
  • @faludi: Double-click on an icon in the side navigation bar, or right-click → Pin Section. Then that section will remain visible as you move between items. That's equivalent to staying on a tab in Zotero 6.
  • Attanger is much better than Zotfile. Very happy that I found a replacement.
  • @dstillman, thanks for the tip! That's nice.
  • I last tried the Z7beta a few months ago, got busy and didn't follow the development anymore so this came as a surprise! Contgrats!

- I have a question about compatibility, would it be possible to provide a roadmap for when which Z6-functionality *is* going to break? (e.g. how long are .RIS files going to be compatible etc.)
    I am currently in the midst of three projects and cannot afford any shenanigans that can happen with new software versions, so I'd like to keep R6 for now (probably around 6 months-ish) until I'm done with them. But I'm a bit worried that my installation may update automatically/be updated by accidentally clicking on it or by someone - in that case I'd need to move back to R6 with hopefully no problems (until I'm done with the projects at least)

I always have ambivalent feelings about such major software changes because on the one hand, it's exciting and honestly R7 looks great, on the other, oftentimes there is functionality that is being lost and these redesigns usually come with substantial efforts to relearn and refamiliarize oneself with the software and to develop alternative workflows etc. Based on the little I have noticed about the development here, I have quite a good feeling! Though I do kind of already miss the old UI (personally I, probably because of some neurodivergent thing, I tend to prefer these older-style UI's, I'm not sure how to accurately describe it - maybe because many times, there are some elements that seem _slightly_ clashing with each other (to my sensibilities) idk..)

But anyways, looking forward to try out the new version once I'm done with my projects!
  • @mwa2 -- there's not going to be a roadmap of expected failures, no. Typically, Zotero versions have worked for a good while (>1 year) after a major update, though, and specifically RIS import/export is probably going to be towards the last things that breaks (the first things likely being word processor integration for newer word processor versions, sync, and web translators).

At least for the foreseeable future, Zotero won't perform the update without an explicit prompt and if you accidentally upgrade, downgrading is easy, yes.
  • @adamsmith -- thanks for the reply, that is great to hear!

also, just got a look at the updated install on a friend's computer, I have to say, I'm really tempted to try the update anyways XD but yeah, I will have to wait for a bit

one thing that just now came to mind would be that there could perhaps be some advantage to adding a filter or separate list for plugins that are up-to-date and compatible with Z7 since that list seems to be slightly outdated but that shouldn't be too much of a problem I guess.

thanks fo your and the teams' work!
  • Great job! Beautiful new features!
  • Hi how can I express my thanks to you guys, I have been using it for ten years? is it almost ten years? I am not sure. starting as an undegraded student, now I am in the fourth year of PHd . I have introduced a lots of friends about zotero but they didnt believe the open source software will be useful, successful, and continuity update. fortunately, every update brings a delightful surprise. yesterday zotero informed me to update to 7, I updated without hesitation, it is just believe. before I have tried beta version 7 but still use zotero 6. the new version is a amazing work, its bring a big happiness. thanks you all team
  • edited 24 days ago
    Great job!
  • Congratulations! Love the dark mode :)
  • Really fantastic update, so grateful for all the work that went into it. Dark mode and the improved reader (epub compatible!!) is already so helpful. And for those out there worried about losing zotfile: zotmoov has replicated all the functions I used zotfile for quite easily, and so far is actually working faster/smoother.
  • Simply brilliant, epub works readers flawlessly, exceptionally important for me.
  • Really loving the new version, particularly the smarter sentence case function. Many thanks!
  • Thank you all so much for the work you've put into this. V 7 is awesome!
    So appreciative.
  • edited 20 days ago
    @anhly while I was testing it – I've since moved to an all-webDAV solution, but for a few months I was indeed using the Zotero 7 betas and Attanger –, it certainly seemed to be the case. It's great that the community came together once again.

As for Zotero devs – @dstillman et al. – and the whole Attanger naming saga, I owe you a public apology. I do still think the Zotero IP/branding situation and the related dealings with MuiseDestiny could've been communicated a bit better to the developer and to us all, for sure, but at the end of the day what matters is the outcome, and we indeed got both the public Zotero 7 release inside the promised timeframe and said ZotFile replacement approved, tested and released also in time for that milestone, so credit where credit's due. The terms presented to plugin developers were clearly reasonable and this crucial one in particular rose to the occasion, so I guess I was unfair in my speculation and worrying for nothing. My bad.

In any case, Attanger may no longer make a material difference to me personally (or at least not for the coming year), but since I'll still be recommending it to those who don't have access to or don't wish to use a webDAV server, or otherwise pay for Zotero storage, I'm rather happy that the status quo of file storage and management was not only maintained but improved, and all of this on top of a slick new interface with a built-in dark mode option – neither of which we even knew we were getting – and native Apple Silicon binaries. Kudos to all once again!
  • Ohhhh I really like it at first glance! Love hover-for-reference that was something I was missing from my setup with evince! Thanks to the devs!!
  • Hi! Thank you for all the hard work you put into this extremely helpful tool. I want to upgrade to v7, but one question. Will Better BibTeX work, and especially will the citation keys stay the same? Kind regards
  • @Zorozero - BBT works nicely and as long as you re-enter the same formula for generating the citation keys, they stay the same. Those that are pinned haven't changed.
  • Thanks a lot! Really, Zotero 7 looks amazing! Thanks for working on this project, it makes our life much easier.
    Good semester to everyone!!
  • I just installed v.7 after running into crashes with the previous. So, I haven't tried out any of the new features and won't comment on them. I WILL comment on the new look - ugh. I DO NOT LIKE. Others might love it; my preference is for the older, more dimensional look.

So, how can I go back to version 6?
  • But going back to v6 is going to be temporary. Eventually it's going to get unsupported and more and more stuff will stop working (and Zotero never provides support for older versions)
  • Wow - just wow! I didn't think Zotero could get better, but it did! Kudos to everyone involved, and genuine appreciation for this fantastic software.
  • edited 12 days ago
    Congratulations on the official launch!
  • How is the update from Zotero6 to Zotero7 going for everyone around? Especially for those using WebDAV?
    I don't mind losing some add-ons, but I fear breaking the reference database.
    Will Zotero7 import the settings and addons installed on Z6?

Thank You
  • zotmoov works great, nice replacement for zotfile
  • @jvoros Thanks I was hesitant to move to v7 because of BBT. Will pull the trigger!
  • 帮助→“检查更新…”后,我的zotero 6升级到了zotero 7,但是是32位的,怎么升级成64位的?要卸载重新下载吗?那我的文件怎么办?