New plugin: ZoteroQuickLook

• It's working now; a must-have plug-in! Thanks.
  • And ... today it's not working. Hmm.
  • Is it possible that the plugin works only on the first opened window of Firefox? I have not tested it with this plugin, but there was another plugin that ceased to fucntion after you opened a second firefox window.
  • I am planning on releasing a new version over the Easter. I want to support Windows, but I do not have a windows computer to test with. How would I open a file using the default application on Windows from command line?

On mac I would do this with open-command and on Ubuntu with gnome-open-command.

(Or are there any other options to open any file with the default application from Zotero)
  • Bingo: It works on the first opened window only.
  • I still have the same problem with my zotfile plugin (and was planing to solve it for ages now...). Maybe this is helpful for you:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/10406/lyz-zotero-and-lyx-integration/

I asked the LyZ developer how he/she solved the problem in this thread and the answer seems to be pretty comprehensive (again, I still haven't tried it myself).

Thanks for the great plugin!
  • There is now a new 0.1.4 release available

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/111142

New features:

1) Initial support for Linux with Gloobus
    You need to install Gloobus to use this feature. For more information about Gloobus, see http://gloobus.net/

2) Initial support for OS neutral "custom command"
    There is now a preference to specify a custom command to view the files instead of using QuickLook/Gloobus. This is configured by editing extensions.zoteroquicklook.customviewcommand preference. One use case for this is to set this to the path of the default PDF viewer on to get some kind of functionality on Windows.

3) The software now opens files with a pattern where all "non-standard" characters have been replaced with question marks. This is a workaround for https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/957 and can be disabled with setting extensions.zoteroquicklook.usefilenameworkaround to false

4) The software now works on multiple windows as well

Known issues:
    1) I could not figure how to add event listeners to Add Citation dialog. Is there any way to do this other than modifying Zotero itself?
    2) There is a strange bug with multiple windows. If you open a second window and then close it, the plugin sometimes ceases to function.

If anyone can help me out with these two, this would be much appreciated. Also testing on Windows and Linux would be great.

I have done only limited testing, but the software "works for me".
  • A new release (0.1.5) with bug fixes to enable Linux support will be available soon.

Screen shot of the software working on Ubuntu 10.04

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/images/p/44558/1270759521
  • hey - really appreciate you taking this beyond apple! I had stopped looking at this thread because it just made me sad - happy I checked back.
  • It is easy to make this cross platform, so it is worth doing. Only thing that I changed is the command that is used to display the preview.

If anyone knows a command to display a preview/quick look for Windiws, please let me know and I will add this.
  • @mronkko:
    I tried your plugin but I got this error message: "You need to specify a custom view command".

(FF 3.6.3; Win 7 32-bit)

Thank you.
  • yes, of course - that's because there is no preview command for windows (or at least none that's defined)- that's what mronkko's last line means.
  • My extension does not implement QuickLook itself, but just calls another software that does. Since Windows does not provide QuickLook feature, you need to install a third party software that does. I do not have Windows computer to test with, so I cannot recommend any software myself, but a quick search on google will locate a coulple several alternatives.

If you find an application that works for you, please post it back here and then I will update the instructions to list that as an example.

I have written some more instructions to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/111142/
  • @adamsmith: Oops, I didn't read this message.
    @mronkko: I tried maComfort but it does not work. Will try another app...
  • @Gracile: Anything that you can use from the command prompt would work. Thank you for helping me to get Windows supported.

I found a bug in the file name workaround for non-standard characters. There will be an update to the extension hopefully tomorrow.
  • I also came to report that I tried out MaComfort, but it does not work. I don't know if it has a command line method or not, but its quick look function doesn't even seem to work at all on my computer. I will also check out alternatives.
  • I emailed the author of MaComfort and he replied that he will be adding a feature that enables my plugin to work on Windows with his QuickLook implementation.
  • Hi,

Since you asked for feedback/troubleshooting from Linux users, I'd like to report that ZoteroQuickLook is working just fine for me on Ubuntu.

Here's some information about my environment. I've been using ZoteroQuickLook 0.1.5 on Ubuntu 9.10 with the gloobus-preview 0.4.2-0ubuntu4 package from this ppa: https://launchpad.net/~gloobus-dev/+archive/gloobus-preview
    I have Firefox 3.5.9 installed, OpenOffice.org 3.2 (from the OO.o scribblers ppa), Sun Java 1.6.0_19, Zotero 2.0.2 with the Zotero OO.o plugin version 3.0a7.

What works: Previewing PDF, ODF, DJVU (as image, so first page only), TXT, HTML (also as image), various audio and video formats in Zotero. The document to be previewed must be selected and then can be opened in gloobus-preview by either right-clicking and choosing "Quick Look" or using the space bar. (I'm not sure if the space bar functionality is due to having the modified nautilus package from the gloobus-preview ppa installed, since that package allows files to be viewed in gloobus-preview with the space bar in nautilus.)

Sometimes there's a segfault when attempting to open ODF documents for the first time, but that happens when using gloobus-preview in nautilus also, so I don't think it's specific to the ZoteroQuickLook extension. But then it works when I try a second time, both in nautilus and in the extension.

However, it is not possible use gloobus-preview from a parent item in Zotero. Here's the output at the terminal:
    (gloobus-preview:18276): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_file_info_get_attribute_string: assertion `G_IS_FILE_INFO (info)' failed

Also, it is not possible to use the preview from the OOo plugin. There are no right-click options of any sort there and there is no output on the command line when the space bar is pressed.

I'm supposing that the parent-item and OOo plugin features just haven't been implemented in the initial support for Linux/GNOME/gloobus-preview. I hope that the OOo plugin access in particular will be possible at some point - I would definitely use that a lot.

Otherwise, though, this is really a great extension for Zotero! And so far so good on Ubuntu for me. Thank you.
  • Yep, that's exactly my experience on Ubuntu
    this
    Also, it is not possible to use the preview from the OOo plugin. There are no right-click options of any sort there and there is no output on the command line when the space bar is pressed.
    is a general limitation right now, as mronkko writes above:
    1) I could not figure how to add event listeners to Add Citation dialog. Is there any way to do this other than modifying Zotero itself?
    maybe Simon or Dan could address this briefly - this would be excellent to have in the add-citation window.
  • Oh, right about the event listener issue for the plugin. I'd read that earlier but then forgot. It would be amazing to be able to check page numbers when adding citations, though.
  • Hi,

the plug-in stopped working at my computer. I can't really say after which update this happened but I get the following error message:
    The grayish quick view window opens but it does not show the pdf. It shows an empty white page on the left with the location on the right. The location is something like this
    ?User?greg?Documents?Literature?name.pdf
    All of my pdfs are linked to the Zotero items not attached. The plug-in used to work fine at some point...

greg

ps: I am using Firefox 3.6.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.3.
  • edited April 18, 2010
    weird - same here on Linux - the error report says:
    "[JavaScript Error: "Zotero is not defined" {file: "chrome://zoteroquicklook/content/zoteroquicklook.js" line: 29}]"

edit: restarted FF and it works again - I never had more than one open window, though.
  • The bugs reported this far have been fixed. I will release a new version in the next few days. The reason for waiting is that MaComfort has added command line support in their development version and I am waiting for them to release so that I can introduce windows support defaulting to MaComfort in the next version.

Some of the issues reported here are caused by bugs in the file name workaround. You can disable that in about:config. Search for zoteroquiciklook and you will find the preference.
  • great, after setting this preference to 'false' the plugin works again...

Thanks!
  • MaComfort has released a new version that added command line support. The next version of ZoteroQuickLook that will be released during the first days of next month will default to this on Windows. Also this will introduce a fix to file name workaround and turn file name workaround off by default.
  • Does the file f:\mupdf.exe exist on your system?
  • edited June 25, 2010
    @mronkko: any news from maComfort ? I do not find the new version that sbl was speaking ... :(

EDIT: I've actually downloaded and installed maComfort 1.5 and set extensions.zoteroquicklook.customviewcommand to C:\Program Files\maComfort\maComfort.exe but I get an error message: "The custom view command C:\Program Files\maComfort\maComfort.exe does not exits".
  • edited June 25, 2010
    Got it!
    In order to use ZoteroQuickLook with maComfort on MS-Windows:

1) Download maComfort and ZoteroQuickLook. Install them.

2) Type about:config into Firefox address bar. Then edit extensions.zoteroquicklook.customviewcommand and enter the full path of maComfort.exe **without** quotation marks. => C:\Program Files\maComfort\maComfort.exe (or something like that)

3)Close Firefox.

4)Open zoteroquicklook.js (with a text editor). You can find it in your Firefox profile directory, then open "extensions\zoteroquicklook@gmail.com\chrome".

4a)As it was noticed above (by bugmenot), in zoteroquickkook.js, you must remove the exclamation mark on line 44, i.e.:
    replace: if(!file.exists() == false)
    by: if(file.exists() == false)

4b)On line 48, replace: var args=[];
    by: var args=["-ql"];

4c) Save zoteroquicklook.js. Open Firefox, Zotero: that should work.

Hope that helps...

Great plugin: thank you mronkko!
  • Thanks for the feedback. I am planning to release a new version where Windows works without any changes, but currently I am fully occupied with our ongoing research project. Maybe in a week or two thinks will get less hectic and there is time for a new release.
  • The next version of ZoteroQuickLook that will be released during the first days of next month will default to this on Windows. Also this will introduce a fix to file name workaround and turn file name workaround off by default.
    @mronkko: once you're research project allows for this: still interested in a fix for the display problem with non-English characters.. (Quicklook Plugin just displays icon with truncated title instead of actual pdf) – this would be great. Thanks
    kithairon