Gnotero

2»
  • sebastiaan.mathot, this standalone gnotero is awesome. I'm just trying it on win vista, and i got no troubles os far. Although the live search - as i use two screens to work - it opens in the middle of both, in my 'extended desk'. Is there any way to configure to be open somewhere else? I look to the config file, '.gnotero' but i got no luck.

if you could give me any directions, i'll appreciated them so much!
  • edited September 15, 2010
    RE: dacarass

I'm glad to hear it's working for you! I hadn't considered the possibility of an extended desktop and I'm afraid the location of the Window is hardcoded at the moment. I'll be sure to address that in a next update (probably in the form of a simple entry in the config file).

RE: Ajlyon (a while back)
    Would it be possible to use zotero://select/ URLs to make all the search results accessible via Gnotero? I'm not sure, but I could imagine it being useful to be able to have Zotero open and show a given item selected from the list.
    That's implemented!
  • I have just released a minor update to Gnotero (0.41). You can find it here

http://www.cogsci.nl/gnotero

This update brings a number of bugfixes. Notably window positioning is now configurable, which should fix the issue that some people had with awkward positioning when using multiple monitors:
    Although the live search - as i use two screens to work - it opens in the middle of both, in my 'extended desk'. Is there any way to configure to be open somewhere else? I look to the config file, '.gnotero' but i got no luck.
    There is now!
  • edited October 1, 2010
    This looks great! But I have the same issue with window position. Where can I find this .gnotero file? Not in Gnotero's home folder, not in My Documents...

/edit, ah, found it, in the root folder of my user account on WinXP. Thanks!
  • Also note that you have to do a restart to fix the window position.
  • Yes, the config file (.gnotero) is in /home/[user] under Linux (note that Linux treats this as a hidden file) and [drive]:\Documents and Settings\[user] under Windows (at least under Windows XP, I assume this is also the case in Windows 7 and Vista).

If you want to change the Gnotero window to appear, say, in the top center of the screen you add/ change the following lines in .gnotero:

attach_menu_to_icon = no
    window_pos_x = 0.5
    window_pos_y = 0.1
  • I was thinking about something... how difficult would it be to get gnoterobrowse on something like android? I am envisioning copying your whole zotero dir to sdcard and then accessing the information from sqlite. This will give you a listing of all your journals, with a text search based on the fields that gnotero uses. We would have to port python to java, but I know there are libraries in java that allow sqlite access.

Maybe I'll post to xda-developers
  • phew, I'm not too familiar with Android, but I suspect that a real port of Gnotero would be really difficult, as it would require not only Python but also GTK to be ported. It would probably be considerably easier to recreate something like Gnotero as a native android app, and perhaps the libzotero library (which is used by Gnotero) could serve as a sort of template...

And what about using a browser and accessing your items through your Zotero profile? Too slow and clumsy probably...
  • Porting libzotero to Java is probably the best option here-- I don't mean to diminish the importance of Sebastiaan's work, but it could be rewritten relatively easily in any language that has strong Sqlite support. Indeed, creating similar libraries for other languages is sure to yield other rewards as well.

I think that the idea of copying zotero.sqlite to an Android device and using a non-Zotero client is a good one-- the wonder of Zotero and of Gnotero is that you don't need internet access.

You should also get in touch with the folks over at zotero-dev who have been working on an Android client for Zotero that would use the server API.
  • [from the Gnotero homepage]

I just uploaded a minor update to Gnotero. Notable additions are the option to search based on clipboard contents and "gnoteroctrl", a new command line tool for controlling Gnotero (i.e., make Gnotero pop-up and perform a search). Gnoteroctrl is mostly useful for creating a Gnotero keyboard shortcut.

In addition, Gnotero is now on GitHub, so you can always get the latest code snapshots.

Get Gnotero 0.43 here!

• Any suggestions on how to start gnoteroctrl in focus in WinXP?

Johan
  • Any suggestions on how to start gnoteroctrl in focus in WinXP?
    There appears to be a kind of focus stealing prevention setting in windows. A quick google search gave me this, but I'm afraid I don't know specifically how to make sure that Gnotero receives the focus, when activated using Gnoteroctrl. The Window does pop-up, right? I appreciate that it's annoying.

Other programs don't have the same problem, so I'm sure there must be a proper way to fix the focus issue and I'll definitely try to improve this for a next release.