French localization (csl 1.0)

• I think the problem is to do with "number-of-pages" and have opened a new thread indicating as much: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15102/21b2-problem-number-of-pages-issue/
  • edited November 20, 2010
    @Rintze: The last version of locales-fr-FR.xml is here. Thank you for the advice on bitbucket & TortoiseHg.

EDIT: Here => http://bitbucket.org/gracile/csl-locales-fr-fr/src
  • Did you test whether the escaped HTML tags work in Zotero 2.1 beta?
  • edited November 9, 2010
    I'm not sure if citeproc-js can handle it, but did you try escaping the superscript HTML tags?
    That's working! Thank you.

[In a next release, that would be great to implement pluralization of "issue", e.g.:
    <term name="issue" form="short">
    <single>n&lt;sup&gt;o&lt;/sup&gt;</single>
    <multiple>n&lt;sup&gt;os&lt;/sup&gt;</multiple>
    </term>

(Note: I didn't escape the html tags here)]

EDIT: Yes I've tested it, with Z 2.1b2 and WinWord 3.1a2...
  • Did you test whether pluralizing "issue" in your locale file works? The CSL schema doesn't specify which terms can be plural and which can't be, and citeproc-js might just be able to handle your modified version.
  • No, pluralization of "issue" does not work.
  • edited November 10, 2010
    More French surprises: quotes.
    With the French locale using “ ” as inner quotes, all apostrophes are being rendered double. Doesn't Zotero know an apostrophe from a single quote?
  • @MHSMith: Indeed, I made a test this morning and got the same problem. At first, I thought it was my style which was not completely adapted to csl 1.0. Maybe Rintze or Frank could help us on that...
  • @MHSmith: Thanks for this report. That's certainly an unintended side-effect. I'll have to give it some thought and take a closer look, but off the top of my head ... The processor does discriminate between apostrophes and quotes, but it uses the "inner quote" string value for both when rendering. We probably need an "apostrophe" term in the locale file to straighten this out.
  • Thanks fbennet.

@Gracile: in the meantime I suggest we'd better keep single quotes for inner quotes, don't you think? They are more or less acceptable in French too.
  • edited November 11, 2010
    I have this fixed and tested locally. The change to the locale file (a separate term for "apostrophe") will need to be routed through the CSL group, and then the update will need to be populated across the distributed locale files. This might take awhile, but help is on the way.

(Edit: A post to the CSL list revealed a point that I probably should have noticed to start with: there is probably no need for a localized term for apostrophes. I've hard-coded the apostrophe character in the processor source, which will work its way in to a release, and thence into Zotero, in the near future.)
  • @Gracile: If you are wanting pluralization to happen automatically based on the content of the field, CSL 1.0 doesn't seem to support that. It probably should, but this is an item for the CSL group in the first instance (posting there now)
  • Another question about the locale: where do I find an "editorial-director" field in Zotero? In French, "directeur/dir." can be used for two different aspects of English editor/ed., so the "editorial-director"="dir." would come in handy, but nothing like this role seems to appear in my French Zotero, amongst the roles listed under "book".
  • Ah. If it can help, I may add that éd. and dir. are occasionally found together, e.g. for historical documents edited by underling X under the supervision of superscholar Y (the Académie des inscriptions et belles-lettres has that sort of hierarchy in bibliographical references).
    I don't know how that is implemented but I think that it will be possible to have both an editor and a editorial-director. The question is rather: if the editor and the editorial-director are the same person, how would csl display that:
    "John Doe (dir.), John Doe (éd.)" or "John Doe (éd. et dir.)".

In csl 1.0, there is a editortranslator role: when one person is editor and translator. Is there a use case for a "editorialdirectoreditor" (ugh..) role?
    I can hardly imagine such a case, but it could be solved with something like the editortranslator, couldn't it?

(edit) Ah, just what I was saying.
  • BTW, I tried editortranslator and it didn't work (output: nothing), so I reverted to "editor translator" with a space, and no problem.
  • Me again, sorry. Another French problem: how do I get rid of the space between first and last name if the first name ends with an apostrophe? (particule: « Henri d' »)
  • @MHSmith: re editortranslator, that is not a variable, but a label term for internal use by the processor. When the editor and translator are rendered as variable="editor translator", and the two names are identical, only one of them is printed, and the editortranslator label is applied.

We could indeed address identical values for editor & editorial-director in the same way, if a special label is needed for that case (J Jones, ed. & ed. dir. ?). Would only require a minor addition to CSL. Just let us know if it's required.
    @MHSmith: re the trailing apostrophe on a particle, this is a case we hadn't considered. Can adjust ground to deal with it, but for a start, could you check the name elements in the specification, and indicate the category into which this one falls (i.e. fixed part of last name, dropping-particle, non-dropping particle)?
  • edited November 15, 2010
    We could indeed address identical values for editor & editorial-director in the same way, if a special label is needed for that case (J Jones, ed. & ed. dir. ?). Would only require a minor addition to CSL. Just let us know if it's required.
    That would rather be "J. Jones, éd. & dir." or "J. Jones, éd. et dir."
    Can adjust ground to deal with it, but for a start, could you check the name elements in the specification, and indicate the category into which this one falls (i.e. fixed part of last name, dropping-particle, non-dropping particle)?
    It's a dropping-particle.

Edit: Universal bibliographic control and international MARC programme, Names of persons : national usages for entry in catalogues, München, KG Saur, 1996.
  • edited November 12, 2010
    @Frank: BTW, I tried zotero 2.1b2 yesterday and found a minor issue.
    Jean L. Coutildo is different from Jean-Luc Coutildo
    =>the former should be displayed as "Coutildo, J. L." and the latter as "Coutildo, J-L.".
    Csl 1.0 is a big step as it adds hyphen in the latter case but the issue is now with the former: the space between J. and L. is required in French ("J. L." not "J.L").

EDIT-- I had forgotten a period: I meant "Coutildo, J.-L.", not "Coutildo, J-L." in the latter case.
    Definitely a dropping particle, yes.

And the reverse order (bibliography) would be like this, in my style: "Arundel (Gérard d')"

Re: éd & dir, I can't think of a single instance where the case occurs. You can have both éd. and dir. in the same book, but they would be different people. Unless you had a team of people editing documents, say, with one of them supervising the whole work, but that is pretty theoretical, and anyway I suppose he would have to appear twice, once on his own as the director, and once among the others: A, B & C (éd.), A (dir.). So no, I can't see that "éd & dir" could be needed.
  • @Gracile: You can get "J. L." by setting initialize-with=". ". But while we're here, could you check that you get the results you expect for the hyphenated case, when initialize-with is set to that value? Haven't checked, but off the top of my head I think it might yield "J.-L.", which differs from your example.
  • edited November 12, 2010
    It works fine. And J.-L. is correct (J-L. is a typo, obviously). A giant's leap for French orthography in Zotero. Or should I say, a Frog's leap?
  • @Gracile: You can get "J. L." by setting initialize-with=".
    Thanks.
    Frank: But while we're here, could you check that you get the results you expect for the hyphenated case, when initialize-with is set to that value?
    MHSmith: And J.-L. is correct (J-L. is a typo, obviously).
    Yes, "J-L." was a typo. I meant "J.-L."
  • edited November 15, 2010
    @Gracile: afterthoughts.

For bibliographical data specifically, "c." or "ca" (the more correct form in French I think) is probably more usual than v. But then Zotero can also be used for archival material and other documents, where I would use "v."

"And others": actually "et autres" is never used. Wouldn't it be better to substitute "et alii" (the long form, vs "et al.")

More important maybe: the verbal form for an editorial-director should be "sous la direction de" not "dirigé par".

There is one term I miss, probably because it isn't really used in English: "id." (feminine ead., plural iid./eid.), for the same author (citing a second title of his directly after the first one).
    This can also be used for e.g. an article by an author in a book of his own (e.g. his collected essays): J. Doe, "Essay", in id., Container — just to make it clear that the container is not a collective work, since there can occasionally be some ambiguity about this. Or even in a collection of essays edited by the same author: … in id. (ed.), Container…

PS Is your latest version online again?
  • "And others": actually "et autres" is never used. Wouldn't it be better to substitute "et alii" (the long form, vs "et al.")
    I missed that. I put "et coll." which is sometimes used... A csl long-form of "et al." would be better for "et alii", I think.
    More important maybe: the verbal form for an editorial-director should be "sous la direction de" not "dirigé par".
    I had changed this before but that had not been registered. Thanks!
    There is one term I miss, probably because it isn't really used in English: "id." (feminine ead., plural iid./eid.), for the same author (citing a second title of his directly after the first one). [...]
    I completely agree with you. I never posted such a request but that would be really great if csl devs could implement that (at least, id.).
    The "suppress author" function in the word plugin is a partial workaround.
    PS Is your latest version online again?
    Yes.

@MHSmith:
    I'm wondering what to do with ordinals, especially with 1er. Should we keep "er" or would it better to shift to a neutral "e" until a gender option is implemented?

@Rintze:
    Feel free to update csl-locales repo...
    Should we update csl 0.8 french locales too?