Any plan to make an official app for android?

edited October 4, 2023
I've been using a third party app called zoo for zotero for years, but I'm still looking forward to the official app from zotero that should come with more basic features. Thank you.
  • Yes, it's under development.
  • Will it be available this year? Thanks.
  • Thank you!
  • I'm eagerly awaiting the Android app.

I had a massive Stroke on 27th April last year which has left me with hemiplegia. So my right-hand side is paralysed. Which is somewhat inconvenient as I'm right-handed lol!

The release of the app would be a boon to those of us who use tablets!

If you want a beta tester then I'm your geek!
  • anI add my plea - so many students now use tablets rather than laptops. It would be such a blessing to be able to do this

• The-Social-Hermit, sorry to hear that. I wish you all the possible recovery and readaptation. Mom had such a stroke years ago, life did change a lot but she got better with time.
    I am also hoping a lot for this Android version, and very excited to see that it's possible we get it this year!
  • So, from what I see, this part of Zotero is not in Github, right?
  • Zotero never puts pre-beta software in public github repos. They'll make the Android app source code public, typically when they release the beta.
  • I am also using zoo for years, and extremely pleased to learn that there is offical android version in development. We realy need it, badly. Cant wait for it.
  • Me too. Can't wait for using it on my tablet with s pen. Is there any public channel for us to receive some kind of reminder or alert of its beta release? Is it going to be published on play store, or GitHub only? Thanks.
  • edited May 8, 2023
    I am a longtime (15 years) Zotero and Android user who will also be thrilled when Zotero for Android is available.
  • Glad to hear about the app under development. Also a 15 year Zotero and Android user. But haven't been able to really get into any of the third party apps. Cheers!
  • An official Zotero Android app? I'm really excited about that! Keep us posted!
  • Does the official Zotero Android app support handwriting pens for annotation ?
  • Haven't been this hyped since the release of Attack of Titans. Can't wait !
  • It will be great if the Android version is made available on f-droid https://f-droid.org/ . Many users won't or can't use Google Play.
  • I would like to ask the developers to involve the "Duplicate items" function in the Android app. A few days ago I tested Zotero on iPad and I can't find this function, which I use very often.
  • Any progress on this? Thanks.
  • edited July 11, 2023
    I assume that developers will post info just when it will be coming to testing/ close to release, I remember similar trajectory with iOS app
  • Thanks so much, it is exciting news
  • This is very exciting indeed. Does anyone have a good guess as to what might be the minimum Android version required? I am looking to get a used tablet specifically to to work with pdfs in zotero once the official app is available.
  • @krzys.r: Currently Android 6, but there's no guarantee it will stay that way if we encounter bugs that would be hard to fix. To be on the safe side, you probably want to make sure you can run at least Android 8 or 9 (2017 and 2018).
  • Thanks for letting me know, @dstillman! This is v helpful.
  • @dstillman - I second what @gA2zx said about including the future Android app on the F-Droid repository. Thanks.
  • @distillman I hope to be able to customise the Local Storage folder.
  • @dstillman may I know if I use zotfile to set the file location to my onedrive, can I access my pdfs on zotero android once it's released? thanks. I'm hesitating between webdav and zotfile's custom location feature.
  • Use WebDAV. Linked files won't work on either mobile app
  • Thank you so much!
  • @dstillman, a quick update on the android app development would be awesome! If it's still set to come out by the end of this year it'd save me from buying a computer to run Zotero for my Honours project! (currently daily driving Dex)
This discussion has been closed.