Scannable cite...

2»
  • Dear Forum Members, please help me with the same problem connected to the file Scannable Cite.js. It has 2,87 KB size. I use Windows 10 and Zotero 6.0.4.0.
    I have read all instructions above and I placed Scannable Cite.js in the translators folder into Zotero data folder. And nothing :-(
    I use Scrivener 3.1.1.0 and there is no connection with Zotero for adding footnotes in my text because of inability to copy a bibliography item from Zotero as a Scannable Cite.
    JulianMoore, you solved the problem 5 months ago, maybe you could help me? What is "a correct and only place" for Zotero? I am philologist (paleoslavist at the university in Gdansk, Poland) and I just cannot live without Zotero and Scrivener. Help, please.
    Halina
  • I have read all instructions above and I placed Scannable Cite.js in the translators folder into Zotero data folder. And nothing
    OK, run us through what you've done so fare. So you have the Scannable Cite.js file in the translator folder, restart Zotero and then you're looking for Scannable Cite export where?
  • Thank you Adamsmith for noticing my problem. I use for my scientific writings Scrivener software. And when I want to add a footnote in my tekst in Scrivener editor, I am automatically connected to Zotero (straight from the Scrivener window), then pointing out a certain item in Zotero collection of bibliography, I click on the: "copy item as a scanable RTF " and such format immediately appears in my Scrivener editor (when I finish my work I have to send all to ODT).
    Now I do not have anymore a possibility to copy an Item from my Zotero as a scanable RTF :-( I am stuck now with my monograph and just want to cry, believe me. I have no idea what is missing in my system - I have new laptop, new edition of Scrivener, new version of Zotero and ODT :-(
  • I am automatically connected to Zotero (straight from the Scrivener window), then pointing out a certain item in Zotero collection of bibliography, I click on the: "copy item as a scanable RTF " and such format immediately appears in my Scrivener editor (when I finish my work I have to send all to ODT).
    That's not functionality that the ODF Scan add-on itself ever included. You'd want to track down which code/tool you used to generate this.
  • edited March 29, 2022
    @Halinaw I wish I could be more helpful; all I can say is that when I say I had zotero "in two places" I meant that I had two folders that I thought were the Zotero "Data Directory Location" (see Preferences, Advanced, Files & Folders tab, lower section) and that I had been putting translators etc. into the folder that was *not* the folder specified in the Data Directory Location. Once I installed in the correct folder, it was OK. I didn't mean I had two Zotero application installations. Hope that is of some help.
  • @adamsmith I was no precise enough - I export my all scannable cite to ODF (to citations). So the problem was (I've just solved it:-) that in Zotero I had no RTF Scan as a style ON MY Zotero STYLES list. I added this style and in Preferences > Export I finally got Scannable Cite as a main Format. When I shut down my computer and restarted it, Zotero works!!!
    P.S. I wouldn't be able to track down which code/tool I used to generate a conversion to ODT, I am only philologist :-)
    Thank you for your interest in helping me. Regards from Poland. Halina
  • @JulianMoore Thank you very much for your answer - i checked my place of Zotero Data Directory Location and it was correct. It could also happen to me to have Zotero Data in different places as well.
    Regards :-) Halina
  • I just noticed that the docu on this is still incorrect. It currently says:
    "manually install the translator, download the Scannable Cite translator (right-click on the link and use "Save link as") and place the downloaded file "Scannable Cite.js" in the Zotero data directory"
    IMO, it SHOULD say: "o manually install the translator, download the Scannable Cite translator (right-click on the link and use "Save link as") and place the downloaded file "Scannable Cite.js" in the 'Translators' subdirectory of your Zotero data directory"
  • @sdspieg I had the same thought. It seems like a minor detail (and a minor revision) but I can imagine a number of users (less technical than even I) getting stuck there for even longer.