Plans for developing a Word add-in on iOS

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero for iOS Beta.
  • Are there plans for developing a Word add-in on iOS? That would allow me to finally use my iPad for work.
  • It's not currently possible to create a satisfactory plugin for Word on iOS, but we're in touch with Microsoft about the technical changes we'd need to make it happen, and it's something we hope to offer in the future.
  • Any updates on inserting citation (plugin for Word ) on iOS ?
  • (the last answer is 9 days ago; this is going to move in months at best, certainly not days)
  • Disappointing!!!!!!!
  • @mfatehy: Complain to Microsoft, not us.

Note that an upcoming version of the iOS app will add support for generating citations and bibliographies, but Microsoft doesn’t give us the tools we need to create a proper Word plugin on iOS.
  • Hello,
    Is there now a word plugin on iOS ? I can’t find it.

Thank you,
  • edited August 5, 2022
    We've continued talking with Microsoft about what we'd need here, but no, nothing has changed to make this possible.
  • Mendeley has a good addon working on Word for iPadOS. Zotero needs one like this
  • @mfatehy: Mendeley has a Word add-on with literally over a thousand one-star reviews. We have a different definition of "good".
  • As someone trying to move my academic life over to iPad, I would also appreciate a Zotero plugin for Word on iOS. Since you said to complain to Microsoft (and assuming that’s more than just a rhetorical statement), what exactly is necessary for this integration to take place? What should I be asking them for?
  • We've had some productive discussions with the Microsoft team and they will be adding the features necessary for a Zotero plugin in the current development cycle. Still, it will be some time before the features needed for Zotero will make it onto iOS Word and until we are able to create a plugin.
  • This is so good to hear, thank you! And thank you also for your continued work on this. Your efforts are highly appreciated, knowing full well that these developments take a huge amount of work and time.
  • That is great news! Thank you.
  • The Zotero app on iOS is already is so useful and I can’t wait for Microsoft to make a Word plugin possible ❤️
  • very looking forward to such a great progress on Zotero on IPad
  • A plug-in for iPad could be the killer App for me to continue on Zotero. My students also use iPads. Also, a plug in for Google Docs that works on iPad could help.
  • I second all these comments as an academic trying to transition to just iPad Pro for portability. I was just wondering if there had been any more developments on this? Thank you.
  • Is there any update to making Zotero available for the Word app on the iPad. I use my iPad in seminars and while traveling as a laptop.
  • Could you please give us an update on the Word plug-in for iOS?
  • We continue to work with Microsoft on this and are waiting for additional changes on their side.