Broken Links to PDFs in Group Library (not all members) Web and App

Hi there,

I have a problem since yesterday, that the group libraries I have just added do not seem to work properly. Many of the links to PDFs are broken and symbolysed by a greyed PDF icon instead of the normal one. For the other team members (I am not the owner of any of these groups) it works fine. I have checked for a few files, that the folder the file is linked to does not exist at all. It is interesting that this does not happen to ALL PDFs in a group.
I have checked the Web Library and it has the same issue, it simply displays a link symbol, but I cannot click to open the attachment. So not a local issue I could fix with my installation. I am far from exceeding my data volume at zotero (just checked), no sync error message.
Can anyone help please?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
Heidi
  • edited May 13, 2022
    If you can't open the file online, it just means the file hasn't synced from the computer where it was added, and all other group members' computers are irrelevant. (Files Not Syncing would walk you through this, but you don't need to worry about that.)

In your case, the owner of most of the groups you're in had a storage subscription that expired a month ago (shortly after they upgraded from 2 GB to 6 GB, which moves the expiration date forward), so no new files can be uploaded. They'll need to renew their storage subscription or transfer the groups to someone with one. Anyone in the group who adds a file will get a sync error explaining that the group owner is out of storage. Your own storage quota isn't relevant for groups you don't own.
  • Thank you so much, you made my day.
  • Dear dstillman, we have all upgraded our storage now and the problem still persists. I only get broken links synced, whenever a certain group member adds files to a group library no matter who is the owner of the group (e. g. group "DELFI22"). Any idea? The links point to a local directory that does not exist...
    Thanks in advance...
  • edited July 12, 2022
    This hasn't changed from when you posted last. The owner of that group (not you) no longer has an active storage subscription. Anyone trying to sync after adding a file will get a sync error explaining that the owner of the group is out of space, and it really does mean that.
  • That is pretty strange. I do not get an error message at all. No more warning sign next to the sync circle. And it seems I am the only person that does not get these files from the owner of the given group. We have a new project together now with another group (I own) and the same problem there. The others get the files, but I don't. Of course, I cannot prove it, but he claims to have a 6GB subscription, and since it works for all the others to sync the files he added I might have another problem. By the way, the other way around works fine, all the others get my files. Is there anything (logfile?) I can provide for analysis?
  • edited July 13, 2022
    You're misunderstanding. If you can't open a file added by someone else, the problem is not on your computer and has nothing to do with you (unless you're the group owner, which you're not in the case of the DELFI22 group). You wouldn't get a warning when syncing — you just wouldn't be able to open newly added files.

You asked specifically about the DELFI22 group, and I'm telling you that the owner of that group is out of storage — they used to have a subscription, and it expired — and so no one in the group will be able to upload new files. The files won't be accessible in the web library, and they won't be accessible on anyone's computer other than the person who added them to begin with. Files uploaded before the owner ran out of space would be accessible by everyone. There is absolutely nothing strange about this.

Once the group owner renews their subscription or transfers the group to someone with a subscription, and everyone in the group has had a chance to upload any files they've added recently, everyone else will be able to access the new files.

If you're having a problem in a different group, owned by someone who's not above their storage quota, then see Files Not Syncing and provide the information requested there if you continue to have trouble.
  • (And if the owner of DELFI22 says they have a storage subscription, they're just confused. They can see their storage from their storage settings, and it will show that their subscription expired in April.)