MS Word Plugin document update problem

I installed the new 2b0.7. When I started the document I was working on, it prompted me to update the word processor plug-in. I did so.
Now, when I want to insert a new citation or edit an old one in the doc, it says "your document must be permanently upgraded in order to work with Zotero 2.b07 or later. It is recommended that you make a backup before proceeding. Are you sure you want to continue?". I click yes. Then the file conversion window for MsWord appears, where I have to chose a conversion type like RTF etc. Whichever alternative I choose, an error message appears: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document". And that's that:(
I tried copying the whole doc into new doc, but same problem occurred.
I also tried inserting new citations into blank docs. It worked properly.
I have many documents made with the old zotero plugin. How can I use them without having to rewrite all my citations?
Thanks!
  • Sorry, I've just noticed that the same error occurs in a new document, when I try to insert a bibliography. The file conversion window appears again. I click on any. Then the bibliography appears, but the citation field remains. The bibliography is then not inserted into a field but as simple text. A horrible sight:(
  • I get the same error on a file update: "Zotero experience an error updating your document". However, the bibliography does appear to change...
  • We can't reproduce this, but we're looking into a fix.
  • Hi Dan - it only seems to happen when I open an older file in Word that was created with beta 2.06. It upgrades to 2.07 without an error, but won't refresh the bibliography without an error. I just tried creating a new document and all seems well. I'm only a mac (10.5) if that matters at all.
  • edited September 15, 2009
    I have at (almost) same problem.

Word 2000
    been using beta 2.06, all fine
    updated zotero to 2.07
    updated the word processor plug-in
    re-stated firefox
    re-started Word 2000

when I open an old or new Word 2000 document and try to insert or edit a citation, a window pops up telling me that my document must be updated, yadda-yadda. I click 'OK' and get a window asking me to chose the style. I selct one (any), and get an error message window saying:

Zotero experienced a problem updating your document.

:confused:
    For those seeing the
    "Zotero experienced a problem updating your document" message: can you use the Report Errors feature from within Zotero and post the Report ID here?
  • I've just posted an error log: 2003593094

I opened the old doc using my msword2007 under WinXp Sp3. Tried to insert a new citation. Same effect. Conversion pop-up screen appears, after some time an error message. Old citations remain untouched, but I can't edit them, because then the same error occurs.
    I also tried to insert new citations into a new doc. That worked al-right, but when I wanted to insert a bibliography it only inserted a {citation} field and below or next to that the bibliography, but as simple text and not as a field.

Thanks!
  • I'm having the same problem here. My error report is 751246936
  • I note that cutting and pasting everything into a new document seems to have fixed it. Gotta say, that's getting a bit old.
    here we go:

ID 1347738176

as I said before, for me a new document (empty or c&p content) does not solve the problem.
  • It looks like there are three distinct errors being reported in this thread.

dudukk, if you select RTF, does the bibliography get inserted properly? If so, we think we've fixed this issue, and the fix will be available soon.

jofish, if you still have the original document, can you send a copy to support@zot....org with a link to this forum post so we can try to fix the underlying cause of your issue?

Heinrich, we didn't originally test the new plug-in with Word 2000, but it is supposed to work. I've created a ticket for your issue and I'll try to track it down.
  • Same problem here (and I can't report it from within Zotero, as the problem occurs with the Word plugin). I had been working just fine with the last beta. Today I was told there was a new version; I upgraded and was told everything would be updated. But when I now try to insert a citation, I get the following error message: "This version of the Zotero word processor plugin (1.0b4) is incompatible with the currently installed version of the Zotero Firefox Extension (2.0b7). Please ensure you are using the latest version of both components". Can you help?

-Stephan
  • sdspieg, your issue is different yet again, but should be easy to resolve. You need to install the new Word plug-in.
  • Hi there, my error report is 1398138306. Thanks!
  • Simon - thanks. That did the trick. For those who don't know how to install this: first close Word; download the new xpi-file to your hard drive (http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#word_processor_plugins_for_zotero_2.0_beta); go into Firefox; do Ctrl-O and then open the xpi-file you just downloaded. Restart Firefox (click the button); then under Add-ons|Extensions|Zotero WinWord Integration - click Reinstall Word Components. Then restart Word, let it do the conversion and - bingo!

Anyways - thanks again Simon. Zotero is great - it's the only thing I still use Firefox for (Chrome is significantly faster).

-Stephan
  • mikelaw, your issue should be fixed by upgrading to Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a2. Go to Tools->Add-ons->Extensions and click "Find Updates."
  • sdspieg: There's no need to download it to your hard drive first. You can install the plugin XPI like any other Firefox extension, including Firefox—just click on the link or if you already have an earlier version installed, use Find Updates in Tools->Add-ons->Extensions.
  • Dear Dan Stillman,

I just updated to 2.0b7 and 3.0a1. I'm writing a dissertation in Word 2007. When I inserted a footnote after updating, Zotero refreshed all the past notations and added a period after every one! This means that there are hundreds of periods that now must be deleted.

Is this a bug that can be fixed, or do I have to go back and manually delete hundreds of periods via the editor.
  • edited September 16, 2009
    anaselli: The new plugin fixes some problems with periods in footnotes, but the new behavior may still need to be adjusted. But had you by any chance added periods manually after each citation before? (If so, you could perhaps just find and replace ".." to "." (taking care not to replace ellipses).)
  • Hello,
    I experience the same problem concerning the incompatibility pf the word-2000-plugin. Unfortunately I run a non english version and it seems to be no updated manual installation file available.
    Where can I find it?

\Ulli.
  • zottel66, this is yet a different problem from the others described in this thread. See here for a solution.
  • I have the same problem
    "your document must be permanently upgraded in order to work with Zotero 2.b07 or later. It is recommended that you make a backup before proceeding. Are you sure you want to continue?"
    I click yes
    When I try to do anything - add a citation or update the bibliography I get...
    "Zotero experienced an error updating your document".
    I have done the same as many others and created a new document - citations work fine.
    I CAN fix it by repasting it onto a new document but I really don't want to have to do this with every document I've created over the past year.
    PLEASE HELP!
  • Thank you Simon. I switched to the other thread...
  • Simon. You asked if the bibliography gets inserted if I select the RTF option. Yes, it does, but as I wrote, not as a field that can be updated if you remove a citation from the text. It appears as simple text next to a {citation} field, so it can't be updated.
    I experienced yet another problem when trying to edit or insert a citation in my older doc. Instead of changing the citation another random source appears at the and of the old one.
    Thanks!
  • krl
    edited September 16, 2009
    error ID: 951830628

OSX 10.5.8
    Microsoft Word 2008 12.2.1
    Zotero 2.0b7
    Zotero Macword Integration 3.0a2
    PythonExt 2.6.1.20090330

First, I couldn't get the macword integration to install. But after making a new profile, and installing the Pyxcom example extension (as described in the forum somewhere), everything installed and seemed to work fine - when working with brand new documents.
    However: When opening older documents I am first asked to update them (seems to work), but then, when I try to add citations: "Zotero experience an error updating your document".

This is not solved by copying/pasting the text into a new document.

Help is very much appreciated, it's my dissertation.
  • Dan Stillman,

Thanks for your reply! You asked, "Had you by any chance added periods manually after each citation before? (If so, you could perhaps just find and replace ".." to "." (taking care not to replace ellipses).)"

1. Yes, I often manually added punctuation (periods, commas, and semi-colons).
    2. I tried the find and replace option, but it doesn't work when it involves Zotero entries for some reason.

Bottom line: The update CHANGED how the entries show in Word, and I'd be relieved if the update reverted back to the way it was. It's a poor feature to add a period automatically after every entry because people often don't want a period after the entry.

Thanks,
    Andy Naselli
  • Andy: I don't know the details of the change (though someone else should be able to explain it), but you can read the thread that prompted it and post there with feedback.
  • Hi everyone,

I have the same problem with my PhD document which contains more than 200 pages, and more than 200 references. So, I cannot cut/paste this document because of several styles (page, write, eyc.) and fields (table of content, etc.).

I tried to find how to download the Zotero 2.06b version again, but without success...

On the other hand, I have no problem with new documents. May anybody help me ?

My setup is :
    OOo 3.1.1, Firefox 3.5.3, Zotero 2.07b, Openoffice integration 3.0a1, Windows XP sp3

Sorry for may English...
  • Hi there,

I just want to ask if there's anything new in the MsWord plugin matter. I tried to find some clues for a possible solution in the other forums as well... no success.
    I'm just a bit afraid that I've missed the clue. And I have a dissertation to be handed in soon.

Thanks!
  • I have the same problem as the signature "krl" above, and the same software
    OSX 10.5.8
    Microsoft Word 2008 12.2.1
    Zotero 2.0b7
    Zotero Macword Integration 3.0a2

The problem seems to be similar to the problem that the OOo guys has under mac (see thread http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8751/error-updating-document-openoffice-integration-30a1-zotero-20b7-mac-os-105/#Item_0).

I get the message "Zotero experienced an error updating your document." both in old and in new and clean documents. In new documents, it seems to work for a while, but then Word 2008 freezes, which in turn is freezing firefox, and I have to force quit word (which unfreezes firefox). I am not able to insert new citations in my old documents (but I can for example delete and recreate the bibliography, so some things are working).
This discussion has been closed.