2.07 MAC OSX not working for me

I know Dan that you have shut down this discussion but perhaps victory is too early declared.

I first tested my citations and bibliographies. I upgraded to firefox 3.5 and tested them again. I then upgraded to Zotero 2.07 (still have MAC OSX 10.5) and I can no longer enter citations into Word for MAC 2008. I first got a message saying to update both Python and Word integration from the web site. Dd that it does not work. I then disabled both compnents and it still does not work. I now get an error message about firefox not being able to load the component to word.

So I am stuck please help
  • Hello,
    similar problem here (Intel Mac OS 10.6, Firefox 3.5.3, both Word 2004 (DE) and 2008 (E), Zotero 2 Beta). Python and Mac Word Integration for Firefox are installed. Both Word Versions do not communicate with Firefox saying
    "Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again." did that, restarted firefox and word programms both, rebooted mac etc. - nothing changed.
  • Exactly the error message I get too. A real pain sorry Dan I know you want to close this down and move to the next thing - fyi 2.07 looks great and I am sure that I will enjoy it when we sort out this problem.
  • I found an error message according to http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting saying that “Integration HTTP server listening on 127.0.0.1:50001” but I don't know what to do about that (troubleshooting does not specify what to do on a mac).

The communication word-zotero problem remains every time i try to insert a citation in a word doc (2008) - no matter if old or new doc, same thing with 2004 zotero insert button.
  • edited September 15, 2009
    I have exactly the same problem, an I also have installed the necessary components. Too bad since beta 7 looks great! Hope it'll get fixed soon.

By the way, I'm using a French Word. To get it to work, I had to manually create a Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items in my Documents folder, install Zotero's Word plugin, then copy the new Zotero folder in the French Microsoft folder (Données Utilisateur Microsoft). Otherwise, Zotero wouldn't install the script anywhere.

It worked, since all the scripts appear in my Word 2008 (I uninstalled the old one before, of course), but I get the same error as the others.

However, it'd be nice if Zotero could create the Zotero folder with the scripts in a generic emplacement if it doesn't detect an English install of Word. It could put it on the Desktop, or in Documents for e.g.
  • I do speak French but not willing to go to such extents. I am not sure exactly what you did, I tried creating a new user account and loading fresh 2.07 onto Firefox but no luck
  • Well, my point is that the bug is the same on French and English versions of Word, and that installing the Word plugin on non-English Word requires a bit of technical skills.
  • Hey everyone,
    I have the exact same problems as described above by Stan. I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.1 with Word 2008 (German). I agree, Zotero now looks a lot more Mac-like, but as it is now, it's not useable at all. I have some really important work to do, is it possible to downgrade back to the last working version of Zotero? If yes, how do I do that?
    Thanks,
    Sebastian
  • Hey same problem here...

Is there a way to downgrade? Im using firefox 3.5.2 and word 2008 on the mac..

it says firefox could not load the components required... same as everyone above...
  • ok guys... this will definately fix the problem:

delete these files from your firefox profile directory:

extensions.cache, compreg.dat, and xpti.dat

Dan has addressed this in another thread and it fixed everything in mine...

cheers

Kudos to Dan once again !!
    We're still investigating this issue, but the fix should be as Mark describes above. You should close Firefox before deleting the files.
    I know Dan that you have shut down this discussion but perhaps victory is too early declared.
    The new plugins use a completely different architecture. Any trouble now is unrelated, and none of the information in the previous thread is relevant. That's the only reason I closed it.
  • Seems to work for me, thanks for the quick fix!
  • First of all: Thank you very much for this brilliant piece of software. I use it it connection with "Papers". A great combination!

I am a little bit confused and have some questions though:

1. I also get the message: "This version of the Zotero Word-Processor-Plugin is incompatible ..." in Word for Mac.

2. Do we still need the Word-Processor-PlugIn in addition to the new "Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a1"-FirefoxPlugin or IS "Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a1" itself is the new Word-Processor-PlugIn ?

3a. (In case I have to uninstall the old Word-Pocessor-PlugIn): How do I do that? Just by removing the Zotero-Folder on the "Word Script Menu Items"-Folder? (That's what I did)

3b. I clicked the "Reinstall Word Components"-button in the "Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a1"-FirefoxPlugin. What is that supposed to do? Reinstalling the Zotero-"Word Script Menu Items"-Folder? Because: I can not see any effect. I have the German Word-Version an created the "Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items"-Folder in my Documents. But after installing the "Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a1"-FirefoxPlugin and clicking on the "Reinstall Word Components"-button there was still no Zotero-Folder.

I followed the procedure as decribed by MarkRubin. Without success.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!
  • Sufentafix: The "incompatible" message isn't related to this thread. Post to a new thread and I'd be happy to help.
  • Dan / MARK

I removed the files Mark mentions from firefox profile directory - which I found doing a google search as follows ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<profile folder>

Actually under my finder after profile there is one folder called Ov7gbven.default

I restarted Word and started Firefox (it was closed when I made these changes) no luck still same error message
  • Hi everyone!

I had the same problems, Firefox 3.5.3, Word 2008, latest versions of zotero and plugins. I deleted those files and still get the message
    Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.

Any more ideas?
    If not I'd really appreciate to know if there's a way to downgrade again. My work can't wait...

• I also not that when I look at add ins I can uninstall the word plug 3 xx but the phython extension on that was on the site wont uninstall, I can disable it only. When I click uninstall it reinstalls the three files that Mark told us to delete. So I needed to delete them manually. I don't know if this throws some light on teh problem.
  • A new version of the Mac Word plugin that may fix this issue is now available. You can update to version 3.0a2 from within Firefox by going to Tools->Add-ons->Extensions and clicking Find Updates (or you can install it from the installation page). Let us know if you continue to receive the error.
    That's it!
    After installing the update I got the "Unable to communicate"-error once. Closed Word + Firefox and deleted the files in the Firefox profile directory as mentioned above.

Now it is working! Great!
    Thank you very much.
    BTW: It is a very useful new feature that you can now choose your "Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items"-location during/after the install-process!
  • "It is a very useful new feature that you can now choose your "Microsoft User Data/Word Script Menu Items"-location during/after the install-process!"

I second that, very cool feature!
  • I still get the error :-(
    When I install the update, it starts word automatically and gives me the following message:
    Zotero MacWord Integration Error
    The Zotero MacWor Integration installation is complete, but a necessary component does not appear to be loaded properly.

Zotero can attempt to correct this for you. A Firefox restart will be required. Continue?

And word tells me it needs a restart too. So I restarted both of them and also deleted those files. But I still get the unable to comunicate message :-( what am I doing wrong here?
  • Ninacita: Can you check if there are errors in Report Errors under Zotero's gear menu after starting Firefox and, if so, send in a report and post the Report ID here?
  • report ID: 864957690
  • report id: 26448864

hey! if I try to do something in word 2008 mac firefox says:

"Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again."

i've allready updated everything and reinstalled them twice.

thanks for helping me!
  • I have put in the latest word plug in and no different whatsoever. So I am frustrated; why does it work for some but not me. Error report No1025675409

My Firefox add in looks like: Python (disabled it wont uninstall), Zotero 2.0b7 and Macword Integration 3.0.2

I have done nothing to my Word programme and do not understand at all comments about "cool"feature in user data....

As happened to Ninacita, when installing the new Macword integration I was told of missing component and asked if I wanted Firefox to fix it. Yes. Closed everything.

Still not able to work

Please advise
  • We're still investigating (though we haven't been able to reproduce these problems), but the latest information and advice is on the troubleshooting page.

Stan, what do you mean by "Python (disabled it wont uninstall)"? The PythonExt extension needs to be enabled for the Word plugin to work, and you should definitely be able to uninstall it unless it was preinstalled elsewhere by another program. If you really can't uninstall it, there may be a problem with your Firefox profile. Delete the cache files and/or try a new profile as the troubleshooting page suggests.

For those still having trouble, there's no potential harm in trying a new profile.
  • I have a new profile now and everything is working fine again. Thanks for the advise!
  • Dan (or Mark)

Almost there and one more instruction and I should be OK. Dan - if you are US based you had a very late night! Appreciated by all no doubt.

I think creating the new profile has resolved this issue of citations - first time I ever created a new profile and I can now ask for a citation and it opens up a new, albeit empty Zotero.

To finish off, I would really appreciate if someone takes me through in detail how to move which files from my old firefox profile to the new one. I can go so far as identifying the source file structure which is - Library - Applications support - Firefox -profiles - (random string) - a few folders including one called Zotero. The Zotero folder has three folders plus about 9 files. Some of the files are sqlite extensions and the folders are called storage, styles, translators.

So which files / folders do I move from the old profile and where to place them in the new profile.
  • edited September 16, 2009
    To finish off, I would really appreciate if someone takes me through in detail how to move which files from my old firefox profile to the new one.
    From the troubleshooting page:
    Once you have confirmed that Zotero and Word are communicating properly, you may want to copy the 'zotero' directory and other profile data from your original profile as well as reinstall any other previously installed add-ons.
  • Thanks I should have mentioned that I had done the homework to determine it is a copy and paste routine but I am unsure exactly which files and or folder to copy and paste. Is it the whole Zotero folder just under profiles - random string (old default profile)? and just move under my new profile (imaginatively named My new Profile)?

Sorry for what must seem an obvious question
  • Hey Stan!

I just copied the whole zotero folder and it worked :-)