List of feature requests

Some of these are in the works, but a lot of these I haven't seen here yet. Here's my wish-list for upcoming Zotero (I use Zotero Sync beta).

--------------------

When adding a citation and clicking the "multiple authors" button, the window size jumps annoyingly every time. Make it remember the previous window size, location and column widths. The regular citation box remembers, but when you switch to multiple authors, it forgets.

Let you if you are saving a duplicate. Ability to find and weed out existing duplicates (like iTunes).

The "Saving Item...." pop-up should tell you if a PDF is being saved AND should disappear more reliably (you have to click on the box to make it go away, if you switch windows before it naturally goes away).

There should be an option to have Zotero alert you if a PDF was NOT saved automatically.

Themes to make Zotero have a dark bg with light text.

Ability to share documents, track changes, etc. with other Zotero users without it messing up references.

Ability to switch references or author names given in all-caps to title case with a click.

Ability to full-text format titles (italics for species names, superscripts, etc.)

If a downloaded reference is missing key citation info (year, journal name, etc.) have an option to get Zotero to prompt you to fill in the missing info.

When adding a citation with multiple authors, add additional authors by just double clicking on the reference, not by having to click on the reference and then click on the arrow icon. Also, just make the add citation window always default to multiple authors so you don't have to switch back and forth.

Option to include a reference that withholds both author AND year (invisible). If you write "In 2000, Smith et al. did something", you want "Smith et al" to show up in the bibliography, but you don't want a parenthetical.

Ability to type something like [[Smith 2000, Jones 2004]] and have Zotero "read" the document and convert those to Zotero citations, asking you to clear up potential duplicates.

Ability to drag folders out of Zotero and get "mini-bibliographies" , similar to what you get when you drag a group of references to a text document.

If you are in a folder, the ability to click "make new folder" and have it add a new folder right where you are, and not back at the root level.

When you delete a file, stay scrolled down to the former location. Zotero currently jumps back up to the top of the list.

Ability to show fewer panes to save horizontal screen space. Sometimes, I just want to work with references and folders, and don't care about the info screen. Other times, I just want the references and info and don't want the folders. I like to keep Zotero open on the left, and my text document on the right side-by-side, but you can hardly see anything in Zotero if you make the window skinny. Perhaps an option to show a more vertical "view" with folders on the left, references on the top right, and info on the bottom right, a little like some email programs.

Thanks!
  • Ability to switch references or author names given in all-caps to title case with a click.
    Right-click on a field & choose transform text.
  • So it does! I missed that trick.

However, it only seems to do that for the title field, not the author or the abstract.
  • Themes to make Zotero have a dark bg with light text.
    Any standard Firefox theme should apply to Zotero as well.
    Ability to drag folders out of Zotero and get "mini-bibliographies" , similar to what you get when you drag a group of references to a text document.
    Ticket created.
    If you are in a folder, the ability to click "make new folder" and have it add a new folder right where you are, and not back at the root level.
    Right-click, "New Subcollection..."

Most of the other ones are in the works or planned. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Well, my particular dark theme didn't make Zotero dark, but my shiny new one did. I thought it was a Zotero thing, but it was a theme thing.

Thank you as always Dan :) Don't you guys ever go home???
  • Ooh, I also would love the "Ability to switch references or author names given in all-caps to title case with a click." ... some journals like unnecessary capitalizing authors' names.
  • I agree - why doesn't that work for authors? That seems weird.
  • + 1 for transforming author names, capitalised authors are a perennial problem with Wiley journals.
  • edited September 15, 2009
    +1 for Authors case transform. It's really the only thing I ever need to do manually these days.
    (maybe even automatically transform on import, or one-click for the whole database! Since styles can output caps where needed, there should be no reason for the Author field to have any all-caps names.)
  • Another +1 for creator case transform.
  • Ability to type something like [[Smith 2000, Jones 2004]] and have Zotero "read" the document and convert those to Zotero citations, asking you to clear up potential duplicates.
    I think the RTF scan already allows this? I haven't tried it myself, but there is a thread about it.
  • edited September 15, 2009
    And a big +1 for PDF confirm / error messages.

I always have to go back check if it downloaded OK, and so it isn't really saving me all that much time...
    (edit - it saves a lot of hassle with Wiley though, which is a pain manually due to their special display page thing)
  • "Ability to type something like [[Smith 2000, Jones 2004]] and have Zotero "read" the document and convert those to Zotero citations, asking you to clear up potential duplicates."

RTF scan in zotero beta 2 versions does this - click on the gear icon and find "RTF scan": there you can see all options. You use {} rather than [[]] and it works beautifully.
  • I think it's really important that Zotero offer the option to suppress the period at the end of a footnote or endnote.

It's quite common to have sources in a citation that shouldn't be followed by a period (maybe not common in a particular document but common that documents contain several or many such instances). Forcing a period inside the footnote field means that the footnote becomes orphaned from the database when removed. If the original source data is changed the orphaned citation will not contain the updated version creating an error in the document that is very difficult to detect.

If this is not possible then it should not be Zotero's standard to include periods (they can be inserted with the page number anyway).
  • Sorry, right after I hit add comments I realized I forgot to add a second, related request. Please find a way for Zotero to recognize the beginning of a new chapter (best solution--if possible) or just add an option to force the full citation of a source (really not ideal because of the potential for it to change from a first to non-first citation within the chapter).

Like the above, as it is right now, the lack of this function results in citations that are orphaned from the database. The combination of these two bugs (?) means, at least in my cases, multiple orphaned citations in my document.
  • Please find a way for Zotero to recognize the beginning of a new chapter (...) as it is right now, the lack of this function results in citations that are orphaned from the database
    How does the second follow from the first? What do you mean by citations that are orphaned?
  • tadoslav: Please don't cross-post, particularly to a completely unrelated thread and when someone has already replied to you in another thread.
  • edited September 17, 2009
    How does the second follow from the first? What do you mean by citations that are orphaned?
    mark - if you use the "show editor" field to change a citation (e.g. by adding the additional information used for a full note in CMOS) the citation stops updating - e.g. if I correct a misspelling in the database it won't be corrected in the citation.
  • edited September 17, 2009
    Oh, OK. 'Orphaned from the database' sounded quite alarming. Somehow I pictured a situation in which the citation wouldn't end up in the bibliography or something.