Zotero picker for Scrivener (Windows)

13»
  • I understand that but I am not asking a full integration, as it is, you already have rtf scan style, which inserts {Author name, title, year} please correct me if I am wrong, and the title there for identifying the which citation is going to be and as a result when you scan the document you get the list of references in (author name, title, year) and at the bottom the list of bibliography. why can you not get rid of the title while you scan it or I also tried odf scan you are providing an identifier code within the {} marks and I believe these are the code files written by the zotero experts. they all works apparently. my questions is here why cant we have some thing combination of these two style that works with scrivener? or to the point with any rtf documents? and why do you need a full integration with scrivener?
    I have read some where within your blogs someone saying that zotero works only with word, is that true? in this case, I am an old fashion person, I used type writer for my thesis, did not use word or zotero either, but if someone claims being open source and public programming making a little change in the style files should not be difficult to make people benefit from the huge creation of Zotero..I always tried these open source softwares..always the successful and useful ones after gathered many followers sold to bigger companies either they changed name and re-released or completely disappears from earth.. here is my another question: is zotero came to this point?
  • I understand that but I am not asking a full integration, as it is, you already have rtf scan style, which inserts {Author name, title, year} please correct me if I am wrong,

The RTF-scan markers are explained here.

and the title there for identifying the which citation is going to be

It's not a title (as explained in the page I mentioned above), but yes, basically.

and as a result when you scan the document you get the list of references in (author name, title, year) and at the bottom the list of bibliography.

The citation style is configurable, but yes, basically.

why can you not get rid of the title while you scan it

The entire marker is replaced. What it gets replaced with depends on the citation style you choose.

or I also tried odf scan you are providing an identifier code within the {} marks and I believe these are the code files written by the zotero experts.

I don't know anyone who generates these by hand. The ODF-scan page explains how to insert these under the section Inserting Citation Markers.

they all works apparently. my questions is here why cant we have some thing combination of these two style that works with scrivener?

Combine in what way? Works with Scrivener in what way?

or to the point with any rtf documents?

Combine how?

and why do you need a full integration with scrivener?

I don't, but that's what this thread started off with.

I have read some where within your blogs someone saying that zotero works only with word, is that true?

No. Zotero works with Word and Libreoffice natively, and with bibtex toolchains for example.

in this case, I am an old fashion person, I used type writer for my thesis, did not use word or zotero either,

I doubt Zotero will be integrating with mechanical typewriters ;)

but if someone claims being open source

Which Zotero is

and public programming

I take it you mean by this that it's open source, so yes

making a little change in the style files should not be difficult to make

This has nothing to do with Zotero being open source, but this is where you introduce a new question it seems, but one that doesn't match the thread title "Zotero picker for Scrivener (Windows)". Here you ask about the CSL styles, but these are used by many programs, both open source and closed source. If you want a modified style (assuming what you want is not already available at the Zotero Style Repository), it'd be most efficient if you provide a sample with the description of what you'd want modified.

people benefit from the huge creation of Zotero..I always tried these open source softwares..always the successful and useful ones after gathered many followers sold to bigger companies either they changed name and re-released or completely disappears from earth.. here is my another question: is zotero came to this point?

No, and it's unlikely to end up there.

BTW, long, run-on sentences are really hard to read and make it harder to address your questions.

• Hello there! Just wondering if this has been tested in Scrivener3? I'm brand new to Scrivener and I've got Zotpick working - but nothing is entered into Scrivener when I hit enter in Zotpick. It cheerfully goes away but nothing happens. Any advice would be lovely, thanks!
  • @meredithp Sorry for the delay, only just saw this. Yes, it has been tested in Scrivener 3 - I use it on a daily basis. Most likely, the issue is with a faulty installation of Scannable cite export style (part of the RTF/ODF scan plugin) which has been an ongoing issue. To check whether or not that is the case, in Zotero, go to edit>preferences>Export and click on the dropdown menu below "default format."

Check if "scannable cite" listed - if it is not, then you should be able to solve the issue by doing a manual install of the style. For how to do this, see "Additional info" below installation on this page: https://zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan/
  • @AmomentOfMusic I run into a similar issue as @meredithp, but I have verified that Scannable Cite works (the quick export shortcut in Zotero properly produces Scannable Cite).

I am, however, using Windows 11. And judging by the error report, it's the AutoIt Module that fails to be loaded - I think it's the .dll. I paste the contents of the command line here, without user details.

I was curious if others had run into similar problems - Basically, the script succeeds at starting/switching to Zotero and activating the picker, but since it can't grab the Scrivener window name, it can't switch back to it and insert the scannable cite. I tried to find workaround scripts (e.g. via process names), but it didn't work.

Grateful for any help/thoughts/updates!

[command line quote start]
    Import-Module : Could not load file or assembly
    'file:///C:\Users\user\Zotero\zotpick\AutoItX3.PowerShell.dll' or one of its
    dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)
    At C:\Users\fnlwa\Zotero\zotpick\Scrivener-picker.ps1:6 char:1
    + Import-Module $PSScriptRoot\AutoItX.psd1
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Import-Module], FileLoadExcep
    tion
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileLoadException,Microsoft.PowerShell
    .Commands.ImportModuleCommand

Get-AU3WinHandle : The 'Get-AU3WinHandle' command was found in the module
    'AutoItX', but the module could not be loaded. For more information, run
    'Import-Module AutoItX'.
    At C:\Users\fnlwa\Zotero\zotpick\Scrivener-picker.ps1:9 char:17
    + $Activewindow = Get-AU3WinHandle -Title ''
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Get-AU3WinHandle:String) [], Co
    mmandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotAutoloadMatchingModule

Zotero is running
    [command line quote end]
  • edited November 19, 2021
    @fwalch hmm, okay. A quick google of the error code tells me it might a permissions issue (where windows is being overly protective). Try clicking all .dll files and see if they need unblocking (as per this post: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34400546/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-operation-is-not-supported-exception-from-hres

My other suggestion for now is to move the 5 autoitx files to a folder entitled "AutoItX" in the directory C:\Program Files (x86)\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\

Basically what this does is install the autoitx module globally. Disclaimer: no idea if the module is compatible with Windows 11!

Let me know if that fixes the issue. I don't have time at the moment to try to implement fixes in the script to get around this things, but hopefully one of these two things will fix your issue.
  • @AmomentOfMusic Thanks so much for your reply - it did fix the error messages, so previously, it was the security issues blocking it. But I still think that the AutoItX modules are not compatible with windows 11 - I can tell the loops work (e.g. it now has the "starting" loop that waits for zotero to open, and the "1" loop that is meant to refocus Scrivener and insert the result), but the latter loop neither refocuses Scrivener nor inputs anything.

Thank you so much again - I'll just manually paste the Scannable Cite for now.