Zotero picker for Scrivener (Windows)

• Once you open it in LibreOffice, open Zotero Document Preferences and change from “ReferenceMarks” to “Bookmarks”. Then save it as .docx. Then open the file in Word, open Document Preferences, and change it back from “Bookmarks” to “Fields”.
  • ok this strange, I insert the two citations at the same time but sesarately...wihout changing anything in between, why they display in different ways?
    the first one seems to be correct
    { | van Boom, 2017 | p. 222 | | zu:4768859:L887595C }

the second one is totally messed up
    { | vanBoom, 2017 | 赔222 | | 组:4768859:L887595C}

where do these Chinese characters come from...?
  • Glad you managed to make it work! I realize it's a bit of effort to set it up, but I think the ability to have live citation in word - which as you mentions will update when you update sources, is well worth the effort.

.... I have never seen that happen. I'm at a lost to explain where those Chinese symbols come from. If it's just an isolated experience, you can just change it manually, deleted the Chinese characters and replacing them with "p." and "zu" respectively. Maybe check that the language of the source in the Zotero source pane hasn't changed??

FYI, I have plans to upload a video later this week explaining the whole installation process to help future users.
  • Most of the time, it is fine. But sometimes these Chinese CharacterS just pump up out of sudden. I will compile later to see what it turns out. I use Zotero and Scrivener both in English. But the windows 10 was set up in Chinese..but is this relevant to the problem?

This one I just had is even more strange...
    like this..
    { | TUI了, & Vis刹车, 2010 | 拍57 | | 组:4768859:RAZ8WZ2X}

Thanks a lot! So far, I am happy using Scrivener and Zotero together except the creepy Chinese words...
  • Are those broken markers generated by the picker, or by drag and drop?
  • Then it's likely a BBT problem. Please open an issue on https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/issues
  • I can't do anything without more info.
  • @bwiernik Two quick questions: 1. in following your instructions, the Bookmarks in "Store Citations as" under "Zotero Set Document Preferences" tab in LO is grey-scaled. How do I select it?; 2. The description underneath the Bookmarks option says that Bookmarks cannot be inserted into footnotes. I need to export my article with footnotes referenced through Zotero to ultimately land in a Word DOCX. So, will all my "Bookmarks" work once I export from ODT in LO to DOCX in Word?
  • 1 and 2 have the same answer. You can't have citations in footnotes with bookmarks -- LibreOffice simply doesn't have that available. Best available workaround (and only option to get this into Word) is to use an in-text style in Libre Office with bookmarks, then move over to Word, switch to Fields, and change the citation style.
  • @adamsmith I am hunting in LO for where to change from footnotes at bottom of page to in-line or in-text placement in LO and can't see the setting to change that in LO. I got as far as Footnotes/Endnotes Settings, but just am not finding the setting to change that. I am beginning to wonder if I should just deselect the LO installation add-on and try the RTF Scan only option for Word.
  • No, you'll want to change the citation style to something like Chicago (author-date)
  • When I opened the scanned document (citations) in Word and attempted to change the style back to BB and ReferenceMarks (instead of Bookmarks) I encountered this error message:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Unknown field type "Referencemark" @[convert:document.m:585]
  • Can you start with the original document with markers? Too many moving parts to understand what's going on at this point.
  • I opened the ODT document in LO; then, I set Zotero Document Preferences (installed add-on in LO) Citation Style to "Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author-date)" and Store Citations as "Bookmarks", then I scanned the document through the Zotero Standalone>Tool>RTF/ODF Scan; next, I saved the ODT scanned document (citations) output file as DOCX; thn, in Word, I open the DOCX, weird bold brackets appear enclosing portions of text and citations in the DOCX; then I select BB and ReferenceMarks from the Zotero Document Preferences installed add-on, then the error message appears and game over.
  • No, this is getting things confused. You want to make sure that the citations are working in LibreOffice before doing anything related to docx or odt.

So
    1. Take the ODT document and run the scan
    2. Open in Libre office, set citation style to "Chicago author-date" and Reference Marks
    3. Make sure the citations all convert to proper parenthetical citations
    4. Then switch to Bookmarks (still keeping the citation style)
    5. Save as .Docx
    6. Open in Word
    7. Switch to Fields
    8. Switch to BB
  • okay, I am at Step 7 - "Switch to Fields". Is that Step accomplished in the DOCX by selecting or changing "Bookmarks" to "ReferenceMarks" in the Zotero Document Preferences tab? (I had previously installed the Zotero installation add-on).
  • It's in the Document Preferences in Word. You shouldn't have "Reference Marks" there -- it should say "Fields" as the alternative to Bookmarks.
  • I had installed Zotero for Mac Integration with Microsoft Word. I disabled, then enabled the extension, then Restarted Zotero and reopened the DOCX, then the "Fields" option appeared. I switched to "Fields", then I got this error message

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1728.)
    @[insertFieldRaw:document.m:1354]
  • @adamsmith
    would be over the moon if I could scan my article through Zotero and use Word (DOCX)! Is that possible?
    So, first, I have to close and then relaunch Zotero in order for the "Fields" option to appear in Word. That can't be right. Also, the error code 1728 noted above appears if I save the scanned document to DOCX in LO, as you instructed in steps 1 to 5; then open Word and try to switch to Fields and BB. However, I noticed this morning that if I save the file as DOC in LO, then open the DOC in Word, (it still does not work but) I see that there are some sort of brackets (empty bookmarks?) that Word claims to have repaired, but the footnote numbering is all bunched up at the end of the paragraph and the scan though Zotero (almost) works. I am stuck, and can't get the Zotero RTF Scan or workaround -- Scrivener to ODT to LO to DOCX -- to work either. Perhaps I have a setting somewhere off?
  • @AmomentOfMusic Sorry to bother you, but I am trying to use this in Scrivener 3 with no avail. Do I have to do something else for S3? Or I should just check if I made a mistake along the way... Thanks in advance! Have a great day and thanks for doing this c:
  • edited April 16, 2019
    Hello @AlejoOdgers , sorry for the delay, I just saw this.

Are you working on Mac or Windows? If Windows, I have yet to test my code with Scrivener 3 - I am waiting until the program is out of beta, to ensure that everything works smoothly. Rest assured that whenever that happens I'll be trying it out to test that everything is still in working order. If you are working in the older version of Scrivener, then if you can describe to me where things are going wrong, I can see what I can do to help.

If you are on Mac, you'll need to direct your attention to this solution instead, which is maintained by a different individual: https://github.com/davepwsmith/zotpick-applescript
  • why a simple rtf scan does not work between scrivener and zotero for citing a references? well probably I am being for to hopefully about these modern technologies
  • @mercanikta
    A simple RTF *does* work - you will just have to insert RTF codes, compile to RTF and then scan using Zotero. The difference with using the ODF scan is that, it gives you "live" citations, rather than static. In addition, if you use my script, you will also be able to call up the Zotero picker (the red bar you get in word and libreoffice) instead of having to drag and drop citations from Zotero. Whether that is worth the set up hassle is up to you - it is for me, but everyone's workflow is different.
  • Thank you AmomentofMusic for your reply, I am using mac catalina OS, can you direct me to a link or video or step by step guide that shows how does it work, I appreciate your kind help.
  • thank you very much adamsmith, this is awesome information, and I tried, it works, that can do for me, but one more question, instead of writing things in curly brackets is it possible to do copy paste into document or drag the reference into the document? thanks again
  • There's an RTF Scan style available for Zotero: https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:rtf-scan I think that works OK with the Scan (it includes titles for all items to avoid ambiguity)
  • Hi adamsmith, thank you very much for kindly directing me to the rtf scan style. In both ways I have problems without using style I can write the codes and scan but when I reach to the point that an author have more publication in the same year it starts having problem, in the second way, using style, I don't run the same problem but every time inserting reference even some time you have to do more ie 5-7 or so than all entire page seems like reference page. is not it possible to fix the rtf scan style to appear as in the normal way but knows which has been referred? basically jamming two of it to make more useful one? In the end of the day we are large group of people let name academic research conducting and the purpose of the zotero make the life easier faster and organized for an academic, whom do not have much time to sort and fix this problems let alone not many of us may have the same expert ability and knowledge like yours. work pressing, time ticking life is short and lot to write..am sure you guys can fix this easily, thanks in advance for your help
  • It's not something Zotero can fix easily (or at all, really). The makers of scrivener have consistently declined to add integration points into scrivener, so zotero (and anything else) is locked out of doing any decent integration.