original dates of publication

2»
  • A proper Original Date field is coming soon.
  • That's excellent news...I look forward to that addition
  • The way to add extra fields is to store them in Extra. These fields are removed before generating citations, so you can put your annotations below “Original date: 1907” and it will all work out.
  • Than you, bwiernik; that's good to know.
  • I too would like an Original Date field option for MLA style. Thanks!
  • MLA prints the date if you input it as described in this thread.
  • Hi, thanks for this discussion, which is exactly what I am looking for. I am using the style "Séminaire Saint-Sulpice - Ecole Théologie (French)", would it be possible to add a field "original date of publication" as well?
  • @LacXav Can you please start a new thread listing all of the changes you would like to this style (e.g., chapter number, original date, etc.), with examples for what you want them to look like?
  • @bwiernik thanks, I am going to do it right now!
  • How do I add the option to recognize the original-date: extra field to the SBL 2 full-note style?
  • What is it supposed to look like according to the guidelines?
  • Thanks for the reply. Any help is appreciated.

Here is the information from the SBL Handbook:

6.2.17 Reprint of a Recent Title

5. John Van Seters, In Search of History: Historiography in the Ancient World and the Origins of Biblical History (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983; repr., Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1997), 35.

Van Seters, John. In Search of History: Historiography in the Ancient World and the Origins of Biblical History. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983. Repr., Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns, 1997.

6.2.18 Reprint of a Title in the Public Domain

See CMS §§4.19–21. When a work is in the public domain, one may omit all except the most relevant information (in the following instance, the translator and original publication date) and supply information about the source from which the book is now available.

5. Gustav Adolf Deissmann, Light from the Ancient East: The New Testament Illustrated by Recently Discovered Texts of the Graeco-Roman World (trans. Lionel R. M. Strachan; 1927; repr., Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1995), 55.

Deissmann, Gustav Adolf. Light from the Ancient East: The New Testament Illustrated by Recently Discovered Texts of the Graeco-Roman World. Translated by Lionel R. M. Strachan. 1927. Repr., Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 1995.
  • Re 6.2.17 Reprint of a Recent Title:

That can actually be put into the "edition field" and will appear correctly:

Test output: John Van Seters, In Search of History: Historiography in the Ancient World and the Origins of Biblical History, Reprinted from the Yale Univ. Press ed., 1983. (Winona Lake, Ind: Eisenbrauns, 1997).
  • With Chicago 17 full note style you can just add original-date: 1865 to the "extras field" and it will add the date and it will put all the necessary info in the right place.

Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (full note)

David Benedict, Fifty Years among the Baptists (1865; repr., Paris, Arkansas: Baptist Standard Bearer, 2001).
    Benedict, David. Fifty Years among the Baptists. 1865. Reprint, Paris, Arkansas: Baptist Standard Bearer, 2001.

If you put it in the edition field you have to manually format it and the text needed is different for the note "1865; repr.," vs bibliography "1865. Repr.,"
  • SBL conversation continued here https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/92842/adding-original-date-for-sbl2-full-note-style#latest (in general please avoid duplicate posts and if you think a new discussion makes more sense, provide a link to avoid duplicate efforts)
  • I have tried using the extra field as: original-date: 1972

But it does not parse. Is there some extra step I need? A lot of my material is structured this way.
  • Which citation style? In terms of data entry that's all that's needed.
  • APA, but I realized I had made an error. It's working now. Thank you for the response.
  • A Original Date field is needed for books