Zotero + Scrivener, converting citation markers (citekeys?) auto-generating bibliographies

1. http://davepwsmith.github.io/academic-scrivener-howto/ This workflow requires writing in Markdown. Is there a way to do this without writing in Markdown?

2. http://zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan/ This workflow requires LibreOffice. Is there a way to do this without downloading another word processor? I already have Microsoft Word. Comments elsewhere in this forum seem to indicate that this workflow is unreliable.

3. I have the Better Bibtex plugin in Zotero, which generates citekeys. This appears to be a highly requested popular feature, but is it only useful for the Markdown/Pandoc workflow for #1? Are BBT citekeys the same as citation markers?

4. Are there any other methods to accomplish my objectives? All of this seems very complicated. I guess I could compile my manuscript and export to .DOCX format with citation placeholders, then use the Zotero integration there. I am reading that some people have thousands of citations, but I “only” have 100+ which is annoying but not unmanageable with this method I suppose.
  • edited June 12, 2021
    1./2. Can be done with scrivener without markdown or libreoffice by using rtf-scan markers. It may be this procedure that you've seen mention as unreliable though. But we can't of course know what "comments elsewhere in the forum" have said specifically, and whether they're true, or that they were true but are no more.

3. BBT does a lot more than generate citation keys. These citation keys are unrelated to the scan citation markers, although they could be said to both serve a similar purpose (indicate what item you want to reference at that place in the text).

4. That scrivener has such poor integration is so entirely by Literature & Latte's choice. Integration with reference managers is of no interest to them, and they offer no integration points so someone else can do it, even when a dead simple modification to Scrivener would already make things substantially more pleasant. There currently is no better integration than the 3 options you are already familiar with: RTF-scan, ODF-scan + ODF-scan plugin, and markdown + BBT plugin.
  • Yes, I wanted to update that I found out about rtf scan after making this post, sorry! I tested it myself and it seems that if I use TextEdit on Mac it works fine, whereas if I use Microsoft Word and save as rtf, that doesn't work. I tested a document that only contained a few citations, so I hope it continues to work for longer documents.

Thank you for your response, and I understand that this is the case with Scrivener.