Advanced Search: search in any field // field empty/not empty

I do not know whether i miss something here, but as far as I understand it is not possible to search in advanced search for a search term in any field. This is very inconvenient, because I can only save searches from advanced search, not from simple search. It would thus wish an option not to set a specific field, but to search in any field also in advanced search.

At the moment, if I want to save a search for all entries that contain "smith" somewhere, I have to do basic search for smith, then tag the results with "smith", then do an advanced search for tag="smith" and only then can I save the search.
This is inconvenient, specifically because every related to tagging takes so looong.

Second, I would wish that there would be the option to search not only for specific contens of fields, but also for empty fields or not empty fields.
  • Hi,

I would also like, as migugg, the possibility to search for empty fields. The thing is, i would like to make a saved search to find articles which are not complete. By searching for empty fields, i could easily spot which articles are missing say, the journal abbr field or the pages field or even any combination.
  • I've been having this issue since 2007 and haven't gotten an answer on it yet...
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/392/search-then-save/
  • edited September 6, 2011
    This is a sensible suggestion. It should be possible to do a search over all fields, also in Advanced Search, and then to save that search.

+1
  • A must have.
    +1.
  • Issue created to track this.

There's another thread for an empty field search.
  • Second, I would wish that there would be the option to search not only for specific contens of fields, but also for empty fields or not empty fields.
    Is this what you need: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/14016/advanced-search-emptyempty-fields/#Item_4 ?
  • I also support this request - searching in all fields would be very helpful.
  • edited November 1, 2013
    I'm surprised that a search in "any" field is not possible in advanced search. An issue was created to deal with it in May of 2012, and according to the issue no one is assigned to deal with it.

I hope that advanced search can be improved - it's laborious now to search for a key term where it might appear in the abstract, the title, etc. etc.

Thanks.
  • So here we are in 2021. Search for empty fields can be done with a wild card and Boolean NOT.

Is there a way yet to search in any field for specific text? It's been THIRTEEN YEARS.

Please don't make me say that Endnote does something better than Zotero...
  • Is there a way yet to search in any field for specific text?
    Yes, this is supported in quick search's "Everything" mode, but not in advanced search: https://www.zotero.org/support/searching#searching

That's obviously a limitation, but if you set up a couple of search conditions in advanced search, you should be able to get what you want.
    tagging takes so looong
    With the Zutilo add-on, you can copy-paste item tags and use keyboard shortcuts for assigning tags. I would recommend combining saved searches and tags.
  • My request is precisely to implement the "Everything" mode in Advanced Search. It's already implemented in the program; why can't it be added to A.S.?

So for example one could have a saved search that hoovers up every item that carries a particular word or phrase.

"Setting up a couple of search conditions" in practice would mean:
    "[X] in Title" OR
    "[X] in Creator" OR
    "[X] in Secondary Title" OR
    "[X] in Tag OR
    "[X] in Item Type" OR
    "[X] in Collection" OR
    "[X] in Child note" OR
    "[X] in Attachment content" OR
    "[X] in Note" OR... etc.

...not exactly convenient. I have and enjoy Zutilo, thanks,but it does not solve this problem. Is there something tricky in a code that makes it difficult to port this condition from simple to advanced search? It would seem so easy!

*** We beseech Thee, O Mighty Zotz, grant us this small wish!
    Thou hast been petitioned for three and ten years.
    We hath proven our love and fealty. We hath made offerings of gold. We hath foresaken all reference managers but Thee! Are we not worthy in Thine eye?
    Be not a Wrathful database! Bestow upon us this token of Thy love and our gratitude will be eternal! ***
  • An "Any Field" search condition is available now in Zotero 6.0.19.