Searching for an empty field

Is it possible to construct a search for items with a field that is empty (e.g. DOI)? Trying to search for Field is [nothing] doesn't work.

I want to use it to try and search for arxiv.org entries I've added that don't have publication data attached to them, so I can try and add it if it's available. As it is, searching for DOI doesn't contain / will work, but I think this is a feature I might find useful in other situations where there isn't such an obvious workaround.
  • Yes, we need to be able to do this. I particularly want to be able to search for references with empty dates, volumes, or issues, So that I can fix them when that information is available.
  • We have the ticket since more than one year, but no solution...

There is a workaround:
    Searching for <field> "does not contain" and leaving the search text empty.

Unfortunately, this trick only works when creating a new search, but it does not work as a saved search! A solution that also works when saving the search would be VERY helpful for quickly detecting problems in my database (e.g., I have to check the database for 'Item Type is Journal Article AND Journal Abbr is empty'; any such items would not correctly appear in most citation styles that need the Journal Abbreviation)