Client not aware of hidpi on wayland

The client app on Linux displays at standard resolution on Wayland on a HiDPI screen. I think this is because XWayland doesn't handle HiDPI (I could easily be wrong on this). I think fixing this would be hard, and I wouldn't expect anyone to, but I'm posting anyway in case there is an easy way to tell Xwayland to use HiDPI.
  • edited January 15, 2021
    If you want to try to debug this, the current reference here would be Firefox 60 ESR. Whatever worked for that would work for Zotero.
  • @richarddodd: You could try using the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx preference for fixing this. See here:
    https://fedoramagazine.org/how-to-get-firefox-looking-right-on-a-high-dpi-display-and-fedora/

This is a related discussion about that Firefox setting:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/82005/issues-with-ui-on-windows-hidpi-display
  • Hi, the ideal situation is to have zotero running under wayland and not in Xwayland. Both Firefox and thunderbird can do that. In the case of thunderbird the MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 must be set. Firefox 93 seems to figure it out by itself. Can this be done with Zotero? (Using MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND does not seem to work).

There are issues pasting text from XWayland to Wayland that are giving me trouble also (but that may be the KDE implementation).
  • edited December 25, 2022
    Zotero (as of v6.0.18) still runs with `GDK_BACKEND=x11`. This causes blurry scaling in the wayland compositors when scaling is enabled. I tried `MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1` without success, but I also tried:

> MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 GDK_BACKEND=wayland DISPLAY=$WAYLAND_DISPLAY zotero

And I got the following error:
    /usr/local/bin/zotero: line 13: 569845 Segmentation fault (core dumped) "$CALLDIR/zotero-bin" -app "$CALLDIR/application.ini" "$@"

For resolving blurry background I tried to play around with multiple parameters on scaling. Such as "GDK_SCALE", "GDK_DPI_SCALE" as well as gnome settings. However, I wasn't successful on this end. If anyone has a solution, I'd like to try it out.