Tags not syncing with Chrome connector

I have a workflow for a major scientific network that is very reliant on Zotero. When saving a paper, I add a tag to identify which of our sites it's associated with. Recently, I've noticed that those tags are not getting saved to the desktop record.

I noticed it first in the old Chrome connector, so I installed the new one, but am seeing the same behavior.
  • You're saying you're expanding the save popup, adding a tag in the Tags box, pressing Return (or clicking Done?), and the tag isn't appearing on the new item in Zotero? Do you have Zotero open, or are you saving directly to zotero.org?

What do you mean by "old Chrome connector" and "new one"? There's only one Chrome connector, and it auto-updates within a few hours of its release like all other Chrome extensions.

Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for a save for which you've entered a tag in the save popup?
  • Yes, exactly. Save popup is expanded, I add a tag (or two or three) and hit done. When I open the info pane for the recently added item (in the desktop app, not zotero.org) the tag isn't there.

Here's the debug ID I just uploaded: D755913455.
    Thanks!
  • Here's a cleaner version (I think): D1942301223. Regarding the versions -- when I removed and reinstalled the connector, it came up with a different icon - so I assumed they were different versions.
  • edited January 3, 2021
    [JavaScript Error: "item is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/itemPane.js" line: 109}]
    Zotero Scholar Citations (1.9.3, extension)
    Disable "Zotero Scholar Citations" and try again.
    Regarding the versions -- when I removed and reinstalled the connector, it came up with a different icon - so I assumed they were different versions.
    Do you mean the icon for the save button in the toolbar? That's not a version thing — it just might show a Z when the extension is first loaded, before you start navigating to webpages.
  • I've disabled all the add ons (including Word and Libre Office integrations as well as Zotero Scholar citations) and it still happens. In fact -- it's not just the manually-added keywords that aren't syncing, none of them are coming over.

I'm adding from Web of Science and I know that they just made a bunch of changes. I'll try from another source in a minute and let you know what happens. Meanwhile, here's the latest debug ID: D495047485.
  • From Pubmed: The automated keywords come over, but not the manually added ones.
    From Springer: None of the keywords come over.
    From ResearchGate: None of the keywords come over.
    Thanks, Marty
  • I am experiencing the same issue with Zotero Connector on Firefox (84.0).
  • @dstillman Any insight on this? Thanks.
  • I teach Zotero to students & have been having the same problem with Tags syncing from Chrome - any updates ??
    Thnx
  • @txvalliere: Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for a save where you've entered a tag in the save popup that isn't added to the item?
  • Hi Dave,
    You got this debug ID from earlier, right? D495047485. I really count on this feature for my workflow, so would love to know about any progress on it.
    Thanks, Marty
  • Hello, I have posted on a different thread about this same issue and received a message to post a debug ID here.
    D1297930164
    Hope this helps!
  • @dstillman thanks so much, just tried myself & it was working. If it happens again with any of my students, I will try this process again - must have been a bug that's since been fixed :)
  • Looks to be fixed. Thanks!
  • We haven't purposely changed anything related to this. Note that we haven't been able to reproduce this, so it's not as simple as this feature just being broken.

Let me know if you see it again and I'll look further at the Debug IDs.
  • Hmmm. Not reliably fixed. The first few articles I added in a recent session worked. Then it stopped working again. Debug ID: D215289422
  • A bit more (possibly) useful information.
    I'm working over a VPN (working from home).
    I have an identical set of papers that I added October 8, 2020 -- very likely from the same source (Web of Science) -- which worked fine.
    I work with web of science and the zotero desktop windows open. When I first click on the connector icon, out of the corner of my eye, I can see the paper be added to my library -- in whatever collection I happen to be in. Then, I switch to a different collection and I can see it added there. Then, I type in the manual tag that I want to add, tab over to the "done" button, click it, and nothing changes.

When I first started using Zotero, ~4 years ago, I found that I needed to be really sure that the manual tag had registered with the system. That's why I got in the habit of tabbing from the tag entry dialog to the done button.

It seems (from an entirely non-technical perspective) that maybe Zotero thinks it's done it's job once the paper is added and it's not somehow capturing the additional tag. Odd thing is that it's ALSO not capturing the automatic tags.
  • Actually, I can narrow the time window further a well. Papers added on December 2, 2020 also worked fine.
  • Can you install the Zotero beta and provide another Debug ID from that? (You can switch back to the release version after.)
  • Debug ID from Zotero beta: D2133132252
    (still doesn't work)
  • Oh, it looks like tabbing away or clicking directly on Done causes the tag not to be sent to Zotero, as least in some cases. We'll fix that, but for now you can just press Return. No reason to use Tab there.
  • OK, this should be fixed in the latest Zotero Connector beta for Firefox, and the fix will be included in Zotero Connector 5.0.82.
  • hello again,
    I am a Chrome user and the issue is partially fixed for me!
    1- manually added tags are added so long as I hit 'Enter' rather than click the 'Done' button
    2- However, the existing paper's tags don't get transferred to the Zotero app

Another debug ID: D1824223718

Thanks!
  • @mado_sharp: This is a misunderstanding. This bug hasn't been fixed yet in Chrome — it's been fixed in the Zotero Connector 5.0.82 beta, which is available only for Firefox. As I say above, pressing Enter/Return avoids the bug.

Keywords from a website not getting saved to Zotero is completely unrelated — that's just a question of what the translator saves. If you're not getting tags somewhere where you expect them, start a new thread and provide an example URL.