naming of pdfs attached to reference items

I have found information about how pdfs are named, when one opts for naming pdf according to the metadata of the file or ref item (in the hidden preferences and settings).
However, I would like to know if it would be possible to edit those preferences in order to name the pdfs according to the following rule: firstAuthor_year_title(upTo30char)_journal(abbrev) ?
What would be the syntax for such naming rule in the hidden preference for the automatic naming of pdfs?
Thank you for your help,
best,
Nathalie
  • edited October 20, 2020
    See the ZotFile plugin for more advanced renaming rules.

A future version of Zotero will likely offer similar options, but no ETA.
  • If you want to use journal abbreviations in ZotFile's file renaming function, you need to look into using its user-defined wildcards. You can find some related discussions here and here.

ZotFile's user-defined wildcards now offer a proper abbreviation function, see here. However, this is currently only available in the development version. The new function will be included in the next release (v5.0.17), but there is no schedule for it.

For a basic introduction to ZotFile, see here:
    https://guides.lib.berkeley.edu/zotero
    (Switch to "ZotFile".)
  • The zotfile add-ons 5.0.16 seems incompatible with the current version of Zotero (I have Zotero 5.0.92). Am I missing something?
  • You're likely trying to install it in Firefox rather than Zotero. See the installation instructions.
  • I saved the .xpi on my laptop disk. Then went in Zotero Add-ons manager > Install add-on from file. I selected the saved zotfile-5.0.16-fx.xpi and got the following message "L'extension "%S" n'a pas pu être installée. Elle est peut-être incompatible avec cette version de Zotero."
  • Can you provide a Report ID? Something's wrong if you're getting that message for ZotFile 5.0.16.
  • here you are: report ID: 550646565
    thank you for your help
  • Invalid XPI: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIZipReader.open]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)
    I think either something happened to the XPI file when you tried to download it or some sort of security software on your system is interfering.

Try downloading it from a different browser.
  • thanks, it has worked (from google chrome).