Snapshot not saving (Zotero connector for Chrome)

Often, when I try to save a webpage using the Zotero connector, the metadata will save but the snapshot will not save. There is no error message, only a red "X" appears next to "Snapshot" in the overlay window (just below the web page name. Why does this happen and how can I get it to save?

Here is one example page where I am having the issue. (This happens often, on many different websites, but not on every website.)
https://www.air-journal.fr/2020-07-10-air-tahiti-nui-annonce-son-retour-a-los-angeles-5221370.html

My Zotero is up to date (5.0.88) on Mac OS Mojave (10.14.6). Zotero Connector (5.0.68) and Google Chrome (83.0.4103.61) are recently updated as well.

• Snapshots are saved from Zotero, not the Zotero Connector. If those aren't working, there may be a problem with your network connection from Zotero.

Is this a work computer? Are you connecting via a proxy server?

Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for a save attempt for which the snapshot fails?
  • Thanks for getting back to me so quickly dstillman!

I tried again with the same web page and it worked .. even though it didn't work after multiple reloads a few hours ago. Very strange. I will keep the debug logging active and send a Debug ID next time it happens!
  • hi dstillman, i found that turning off and on the debug logging usually fixes the problem. so i never got around to sending a report since there were always hundreds or thousands of lines in them!

today i finally had an issue where turning off and on debug logging didn’t fix the problem - zotero connector simply won’t save anything, not even the metadata: D810228545
  • The debug logging almost certainly wasn't related — it was likely just the act of trying to save again.

The report you sent doesn't show a save attempt, though. You just clicked the save button again, but that just reopens the popup so you can change the target collection — it won't attempt a fresh save unless you actually load the page. We'd need to see an actual save attempt to say more.
  • here's another one D1835973728
    trying to use Chrome zotero connector to save this page to zotero:
    https://search.proquest.com/docview/2435767807?fromopenview=true&pq-origsite=gscholar