Spell Check in Notes

Hi all --
I notice that when I am typing words in notes with spelling errors (or potential spelling errors) that it highlights them with the famous red squiggle.

However, there is no option to select the correct word or add the work to the dictionary as is traditionally available. Is there something that I am missing?
  • No. Spell check is only partially (an basically by accident) supported in notes, so what you're seeing is currently all there is.
  • A simple request... either please complete it or allow us to turn it off. It is annoying and a bad UX, when the expected behavior does not occur.
  • To turn it off, go to Preferences → Advanced → Config Editor and set extensions.spellcheck.inline.max-misspellings to 0.

Improved spellchecking is planned for a future version.
  • I'm not sure where to advocate for inclusion of spell check, so I'll do so here: mighty Zotero design wizards, please add it! I love so much of Zotero... but this is a make or break feature for me (and for many of my colleagues).
  • @smalleytx: Just to be clear, Zotero does have spell-check — it's just limited to English and doesn't allow corrections/additions.
  • Hi all,
    is there any resolution for spelling check and correction option? could you link zotero botes to Grammarly or any other app to resolve this issue. In notes i found my misspelled words but there are no suggestion to correct them.
  • edited February 6, 2020
    I'd like to add my support for prioritizing development of this feature. I also think it limits wider adoption. Disabling it does not seem like a viable option.
  • edited February 6, 2020
    Checking "help" => "about zotero" under "Third=Party Software and Standards:"

There is listed, "TinyMCE (rich-text editing)"

Grossly looking at the mock GUI interface for TinyMCE, I'm guessing this is what Zotero is utilizing for the note editor (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

I found a fully-functional plugin already developed for TinyMCE below:
    https://tinymcespellcheck.com/

Is this something we could add to Zotero? If so, is this something Zotero developers would have to add, or could community based developers do so through creation of a plugin? I'm a relatively non-technical user, so apologies if this is obviously ignorant.
  • edited April 14, 2020
    I'd also like to add a request for spelling correction please.
  • Yes please add this function it is extremely important for many college students. Thanks!
  • I also would like to request this function. One question: I am using a Mac and in other applications, the spelling is corrected automatically or after the red squiggle appears, I can get a list of replacement words with control+click. It would be great if that was available in Zotero. Thanks! I also love the software.
  • I too would like to see the addition of suggested spellings that one could click on. Since misspellings are already flagged, I'm not sure how hard this would be. Evidently not that easy, though, or it would have been added long ago.
  • Zotero really plays the role of the hard teacher that makes you look up the spelling in the dictionary.
  • would be very helpful to add this tool to notes in Zotero
  • Zotero really needs this!
  • As I write my notes in German and English, I would be very grateful to be able to use languages other than English for spell checking. I hope this can be implemented sooner rather than later. Thanks to the developers for the work they put in!
  • I'd like to add to the chorus of users recommending that fully implementing spellcheck to enable word suggestions, ignoring specific words, and adding to a dictionary. Especially as Zotero upgrades its note-taking capabilities, this should be a priority.
  • I love Zotero. It has been a gamechanger and I use the notes quite often. A spell-checker added to the notes or a plugin would make the product even better.
  • +1 spell-checker
  • Spell check work-around for notes, until there's a built in checker.

LanguageTool.org has a browser extension that performs grammar and spell checking. It searches the page you are working on, identifies problems, and highlights them, let's you fix them.

The plugin works in Firefox and Chrome. Haven't figured out how to make it work with Safari [Version 14.1.2 (16611.3.10.1.3)] -- probably need to add a website permission.

On a MAC, ideally, Zotero would use OS X Dictionary.app. That would give access to multiple dictionaries and thesaurus.
  • edited September 18, 2021
    Note that the current Zotero beta adds non-English spell-checking:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/90469/available-for-beta-testing-non-english-spell-checking

This will be included in Zotero 6.
  • With the beta version, you can now easily temporarily disable/enable spell-checking with right-click menu in notes.
  • Adding my voice to the request for spelling corrections. It's a constant annoyance to manually correct spelling. Also, it would be great to be able to add words to the spell check dictionary. Many of my field-specific words are not recognized and so my notes are full of little red squiggles.
  • @mayatownsend: As I note above, multilingual spell-checking is implemented in the Zotero beta. There's no need to request it.
  • Was adding words to the spellcheck dictionary ever implemented? Currently running version 6.0.18 in early 2023
  • @jjw2678: An "Add to Dictionary" feature will be available in Zotero 7.
  • @dstillman That's just wonderful! Thank you.
  • edited April 27, 2023
    I have the free version of Grammarly and it works really well with Zotero, most of the time. The only odd errors I ever get are in the abstract field for some reason. Sometimes it's off by a few characters, but it's fantastic for Notes.
  • @magnoliasouth, which system are you using? I ask because, on mac, Grammarly desktop is not showing up in the notes.