Zutilo shortcuts?

Defining the Zutilo shortcuts shows a strange behavior on my iMac (10.14.6): sometimes a defined shortcut is functional, sometimes not, even though it is accepted in the panel. Sometimes choosing a letter from keyboard makes a different letter or mark in the shortcut. This can also work or not. My Zotero is in Finnish and Zutilo is in English. Is this the reason?? There doesn't seem to be a shortcut for opening a pdf associated with an item. That would be very useful.
  • There doesn't seem to be a shortcut for opening a pdf associated with an item.
    Just press Return, which is the same as double-clicking.
  • Thanks! Have you any comment for my other problems?
  • @tvirku: Here are some possibly related issues on github:
    https://github.com/willsALMANJ/Zutilo/issues/122
    https://github.com/willsALMANJ/Zutilo/issues/136

For testing whether your issue is related to the Finnish locale, switch your language settings in the Zotero preferences to English.

It's best to use github for reporting on Zutilo issues, such that the Zutilo developer will be updated.
  • Using English didn't change anything.

To me, Zutilo turns out to be practically useless: I tried all kind of letter + cmd/opt/ctr combinations for Item pane: Focus Tab tag and nothing worked. I just managed to get 4 shortcuts working: Advanced search, cmd+S; Item Pane: Focus Info Tab, cmd+I; Item Pane: Focus Notes Tab, cmd+N and Item Pane: Focus, cmd+U. Moreover, the site for cmd+N in the Shortcuts table became empty, there isn't that cmd+N, even though cmd+N works. Surprisingly, when I tried different letter-command key combinations for Focus Tab tag they were usually accepted but worked like cmd+N! Strange!

It would be very welcome that the shortcut feature would be made working, as using mouse is slow, laborious and causes wrist strain.
  • Hi, today I deleted a Zutilo extension from the application support. I don't if this was the gimmick but then Zutilo started to work much better. I could take into use several shortcuts. Cmd + letter combinations didn't work but Ctrl + letter did! Mostly. One problem is still Item pane: Focus Notes tab. For some reason, there is no any kind of text in the shortcut column for that item in Preferences/Shortcut. For example no , or anything else. And it is not possible to insert there any functioning shortcut (no text shown in the column). Another, a bit more frustrating problem comes with tags. I have now a shortcut for adding tags. Everything goes fine until I press Return. After pressing it the view jumps to Notes from Tags, and my Next field command Ctrl + N doesn't work. Then, after returning to Tags, the tag is inserted but there is now an empty field for the next tag. The only way to get out of this is to click the Add button. Doing this allows further normal use of Zotero. Is there any way to fix especially this Return key problem?
  • (The last issue with the "add tag" shortcut has been described here again: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/87091/a-wish-for-zutilo-and-the-return-key.)
  • I deleted a Zutilo extension from the application support. I don't if this was the gimmick but then Zutilo started to work much better.
    Could you describe this in more detail? It might be useful for other Mac users. Do you get this issue?
    For example no , or anything else.
    It seems that your comment has some hidden text enclosed in < >. You could edit the comment and wrap that text in <code></code> to make it visible.
    For some reason, there is no any kind of text in the shortcut column for that item in Preferences/Shortcut.
    You should be able to fix this by following the description here:
    https://github.com/willsALMANJ/Zutilo/issues/137
    Another, a bit more frustrating problem comes with tags.
    Try a different keyboard shortcut for adding tags, one that is working for another function. You have to disable the other function's shortcut for this test.
  • Unfortunately I cannot remember exactly what and in which order I did with the Zutilo extension but I guess that I removed the Zotero Utility in Add-ons Manager (in Tools/Utilities, Add-ons), and then removed zutilo@www.wesailatdawn.com.xpi in Finder>Library>Application support>Profiles>Extensions>Zotero. Probably, I then installed the Zotero Utility again :). I may add that all my current functioning short cuts are the Ctrl + letter combination.
  • A piece of information: When I add keywords and I have a chosen keyword in the field and I "accidentally" press the enter key to accept it, the view jumps to the reference part of Zotero. After this I need to continue adding keywords with mouse. This is in fact a thing I've already told. However, if I have an empty field for adding a keyword and don't add the keyword but press the enter key, the view jumps again to the reference part but the keywords tab in the item pane doesn't change to the notes tab. This is more rational in that after adding keywords one may like to continue with references. Also, shortcuts like ctrl + N still work, they are not freezed.
  • 1. What version of Zotero and Zutilo are you using?

2. Did you try using a different keyboard shortcut for the "add tag" function as I suggested above?

3. For debugging the "add tag" issue further, you could try the following:

a) Disable all add-ons. ("Tools" -> "Add-ons".)

b) Check if adding multiple tags in pure Zotero works as expected when using the Enter key.

c) Enable Zutilo and check if the problem is directly related to it.
  • If you want to add multiple tags, type Shift+Enter to enter multi line mode. Then you can enter each tag on a new line. To finish, type Shift + Enter again.