Specify volume & page in cite? Does Zotero permit only one locator?

edited March 14, 2020
If I have a multi-volume book, and I want to cite a specific page in a specific volume, can that be specified in Zotero via the Word plugin?

I know that I can select either a volume or a page to cite as the locator, but it seems to only allow one at a time.

Is this a case where I should just specify it via a suffix?

(Often multi-volume books have sequential, cumulative page numbering throughout. This situation comes up rarely when the page numbers restart with each volume.)

(I see this was not possible in 2010. Has that changed? https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/15127/complex-locators-multivolume-again -- Ah, and 2013: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/28934/multiple-locators)
  • CSL formally only has one locator for a citation, but citeproc-js has a feature to handle multiple locators. Specify the first locator type using the dropdown menu, then in the locator field, separate locators using a comma and the abbreviation for the locator. For example:
    Volume: 2, p. 12-14

The list of locator abbreviations is given on this page https://zotero-odf-scan.github.io/zotero-odf-scan/

• and I think ODF scan might pick up these duplicate entries but not 100% sure right now.
  • @bwiernik OK, thanks! The oddity here is that the formatting is a bit of a surprise (e.g., adding "p." in styles that just have a colon otherwise). Actually my original reason for asking was that I realized in these exceptional cases I wasn't sure how I should be formatting it consistently as a suffix (so it might vary in different parts of my thesis). Do you know if CSL styles can control all of the details for these variants, or are some of them automated through CSL 'rescuing' this additional info?
    (Actually, at least for pages, since any arbitrary text is allowed, we could just write a complex locator format, right?)

This isn't a big deal for me. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong by not using an official method.

( @adamsmith interesting, thanks. I'm probably not going to need this for my relatively limited use of ODF scan, which is just for a special section of my thesis with hundreds of references in lists, so I won't mind the random time I need to add this in manually. Though it's good to have another way to enter it if needed.)
  • Think typing “p.” as being a label indicating the start of a new locator sub field, rather than as directly typing the the label. The label will ultimately be formatted according to the rules of the CSL style. (Though note that the formatting for the first locator will be used for all of them [e.g., if you use “long” format for Volume, then volume and page will both be long. There are some quirks with citeproc-js that you can maybe work with depending on exactly the formatting you need.)

As you note, for very complex text strings, entering as a suffix instead is likely a more straightforward approach.
  • (Though note that the formatting for the first locator will be used for all of them [e.g., if you use “long” format for Volume, then volume and page will both be long. There are some quirks with citeproc-js that you can maybe work with depending on exactly the formatting you need.)
    Yes, that's where it gets complicated, I think. I may try to perfect this in the style I use often at some point, but I'll live with it for now. I appreciate knowing how it works now though!
  • Take a look at APA.csl for how to get one locator type to be long (chapter), but all others short, when used in sequence.
  • OK, great tip, thanks!