Multiple locators

Example:
J. Smith, Name of the book, vol. 2, p. 132.
  • I would like to know how it is possible to use multiple locators on Zotero, I mean quote in Word a book and give the volume number AND the page number. This kind of quotation is very common, and I do not know how to quote it on Zotero. I did not find anything about it on the forum.
    Can somebody help me?
    Thank you in advance.
  • it's not really possible in the Word plugin. Two things, though:
    a) You can use the suffix field as a workaround
    b) In your specific example above, you can enter the individual volumes as individual items in Zotero and then cite those with page numbers, that should come out right - Zotero includes the volumen number (at least in Chicago style) in citations.
  • Thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunateli, I cannot use the suffix box, as it is not updated when I change the style (not being locators).
    As for including the individual volumes, I tried and it is not practical at all, as the system does mention it as two books; I mean it quotes the first volume Smith 2010a and the second Smith 2010b, which is not practical.
    Do you know whether a next version of zotero will be able to quote multiple locators? Why the problem is not present in the forum? This kind of quotation is very frequent, and nobody seems to have this problem.
  • what do you mean by suffixes not being updated?
    Apart from that, I don't see that being introduced any time soon, sorry. I think it's less common than you make it out to be and the people who do use it frequently find one of the two methods I describe sufficient.
  • edited April 17, 2013
    It is actually possible to do this, but the style needs to be coded to support it. The structure used is not valid CSL, so you will get a warning when you install the style, and it will not be accepted for inclusion in the Style Repository.

The structure looks like this:
    <number variable="locator"/>
    The only difference is the use of "number" rather "text" for the node. You can then add labels using short abbreviations, directly in the field. So volume 15, page 23 would look like this in the locator field:
    v. 15, p. 23
    If you do try this, I would be curious to know how you find it for useability.
  • Thank you for your answers.
    I did not understood exactly the second one, as I am not used enough with CSL to understand the exact point, but the system is not accurate for what I need as I would be obliged to write the v. and p. myself.
    Actually, what I wanted to avoid was to note manually the p., because some of the journal want it, and other do not want.
    As for the frequency, each time a book with multiple volumes is quoted, the quotations must be like this. What I will try is to change the system of references in the stylesheet and ask it not to distinguish the reference is everything but the volume if different, but I don't know whether it will work.
    Thank you to both of you for your time and help.
  • edited April 19, 2013
    Yes. Thinking about your description, I realised that this may not be sufficiently flexible for your needs. It might work, depending on the style, but it's probably not worth fighting with it.

To suppress the year suffix, you can include the volume number in the citation. If you use some markup like "[v.3]" to make it easy to locate, you can remove it at the last stage, when the document is finalised.