Autocomplete not working during Advanced Search

Report Id: 822371473
Zotero 5.0.80
macOS Catalina

Autocomplete not working during Advanced Search. All suggestions for titles, tags, authors, etc., that used to show up when typing no longer appear. Sometimes a drop-down menu appears but is empty.
  • Fixed in the latest Zotero beta. Thanks for reporting.
  • Still not working even with the last Zotero beta (for instance autocomplete of tags : drop-down menus are empty)

5.0.81-beta.6+df40ee721

Windows 10 Pro, version 1909, version OS 18363.476

Matériel
    DELL I102732
  • It's working for me. If it's not for you, can you provide a Debug ID for an autocomplete that fails?
  • @chabanneifelyon: I can't reproduce this, but see if it's fixed in the latest beta.
  • Still not fixed. For example when I want to search for a tag, I have an autocomplete list that drops down but remains white, but I can click the "invisible" list and I have access to any item on any line of the drop down window
    Difficult to guess what's the good one
    I precise that drop down autocomplete lists are functioning elsewhere, for instance in the "new tags" proposition box
  • I had the same issue. The issue is fixed for me on Windows 10 in the latest beta: version => 5.0.81-beta.11+12ccbf45c, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => en-US.

@chabanneifelyon I guess it would be helpful if you could provide a new Debug ID with the latest beta.
  • The issue is actually only partially fixed for me on Windows 10 in the latest beta 5.0.81-beta.12+5a1e32961. It is fixed for a new advanced search. However, for a saved search it is still there and easily reproducible. Saving an advanced search, reopening it, and changing the search conditions results in an empty drop-down autocomplete list.

I also noticed that the truncation of the autocomplete list after 25 results is not ideal. E.g., an advanced search for an author with last name "Kim" or "Li" could be difficult since the first name you are looking for might not be among the 25 shown in the list.
  • Saving an advanced search, reopening it, and changing the search conditions results in an empty drop-down autocomplete list.
    Thanks, @qqbb — that's what we needed. Assuming that was the issue for everyone, this is now fixed in the latest beta.
    I also noticed that the truncation of the autocomplete list after 25 results is not ideal.
    I've increased it to 50 in the latest beta, which should still avoid the performance problems you reported.
  • Hello
    fixed for me with 5.0.81-beta.13+aef198d6b
    Thanks
  • Version 5.0.81-beta.13+aef198d6b resolves the issue for me as well. Thanks a lot!
    I've increased it to 50 in the latest beta
    It would be great if the full autocomplete list could be shown again in some later version. This useful feature was working well in Zotero 5.0.77. Even with a limit at 50, e.g. searching my library for "creator is Kim" only shows first names that are early in the alphabet. Previously, one could have the full list shown for checking it from the end upwards using the arrow key.

Perhaps adding some delays for querying the DB and showing the autocomplete list might be of use for avoiding the performance issue without relying on a truncated list. Or the full list could be shown only in the end after some time without a keypress.
  • The above issues (other than the 50-entry limit) are fixed in Zotero 5.0.81, available now.