Need recommendation for facsimile citation

I'm curious as to the best place to insert reprint (facsimile) citation in my book data fields in Zotero to ensure the citation formats correctly.

I have several academic works that are considered facsimilies. The works are a reproduction of an original work that is now in the public domain. In most of them, pages, fonts, and page layout are identical to the original. They are just bound by a new publisher.

You can see an example here, although Amazon doesn't do a great job of storing all the necessary metadata.
https://www.amazon.com/Office-Work-Holy-Spirit/dp/1357553536/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=the+office+and+work+of+the+holy+spirit+buchanan&qid=1557248221&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

My style manager says that the reprint publisher should follow the citation of the original work, as in the example below.

Calvin, John. Ioannis Calvini Opera quae supersunt omnia. Edited by Wilhelm Baum, Eduard Cunitz, and Eduard Reuss. 59 vols. in 58. Corpus Reformatorum, vols. 29-87. Brunswick, NJ: C. A. Schwetschke and Son, 1863-1900; reprint, New York: Johnston Reprint Corp., 1964.

I can't figure out how best to insert the necessary information. I've read posts that suggest to put it in the date field, but that isn't a good option when allowing Zotero to format footnotes. I've also read that Zotero 5.1 might include additional fields to address my issue. Not sure if that's true.

I believe I need to put the original publisher/place/date in the correct Zotero book fields and "Facsimile Reprint" in the Edition field. I can't, however, figure out where to put the new facsimile/reprint publisher information so that it follows the original citation.

I use Turabian 8th edition style.
  • Put the reprint information in the proper Zotero fields. Put the original information in Extra like this:
    Original date: 1863/1900
    Original publisher: Schwetschke
    Original publisher place: Brunswick

Styles that are programmed to include this information will pick up these fields from there.
  • Chicago Manual will work for this. Turabian won't, I believe. (Don't use Turabian if you're not a student; Chicago Manual is Turabian style for grown ups :P)
  • Haha. OK @adamsmith. But I'm a PhD student and my personal preferences are limited.

@bwiernik, where are the fields you describe? My Item Type is "book" and I don't see anything referencing original publication information.
  • You'd have to type them into the extra field as shown.
  • Thank you @adamsmith. I see now that @bwiernik said that and I missed it. Your assumption is correct, however. I just tested it. Turabian will not format the citation correctly using the "Extra" fields. I've used the prefix/suffix regularly in footnotes. Is there anything like that for the bibliographic entry that I can use when citing the work? Or is there any proposed change the new release of Zotero will offer? Is it appropriate for me to contact the author listed in the Style code who created the Turabian style for Zotero and request an update?
  • Are you sure you can't just use Chicago Manual and claim it as Turabian -- they're quite similar.
    As for the style author -- there's an open issue for Turabian 8 support, so it's not like we're not aware of it, but not sure how quickly that'll happen: may well take months.

(and no, no suffixes for bibliography entries)
  • There's no academic problem with using a different style editor. They're just interested in style, not naming conventions. Turabian has some oddities that ignoring will complicate manual modifications. It's small things that can become significant in a long paper. Turabian liberally uses ibid's, for one. Thanks for the recommendations, though.

And if it matters I can wait months (not years). Thanks for the info.
  • Wow. Sure. I'll give that a shot.
  • edited July 23, 2019
    For SBL style, reprint information should be includable (e.g., per §§6.2.17–18). Thus a citation might be
    1. G. G. Findlay, “St. Paul’s First Epistle to the Corinthians,” in The Expositor’s Greek Testament, ed. W. Robertson Nicoll (New York: Doran, 1897; repr., Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2002), 2:800.
    But, when I input things according to @bwiernik's instructions above, the original publication information isn't included. Thus, the output is:
    1. G. G. Findlay, “St. Paul’s First Epistle to the Corinthians,” in The Expositor’s Greek Testament, ed. W. Robertson Nicoll (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2002), 2:800.
    In case I've just done the data entry improperly, I've exported this particular resource to a Zotero RDF file so it can be imported and examined.

Any help with pointing out my errors or adjusting the SBL style's CSL would be most appreciated (I'm already using the latest version updated 19 June 2019).

Thanks so much!
  • Just checking back to see if anyone has any input on getting reprint information out of Zotero with the current version of the Society of Biblical Literature style. Another example besides the one above would be:
    Cullmann, Oscar. Baptism in the New Testament. Translated by J. K. S. Reid. SBT 1. London: SCM, 2012.
    But this should be
    Cullmann, Oscar. Baptism in the New Testament. Translated by J. K. S. Reid. SBT 1. London: SCM, 1950. Repr., London: SCM, 2012.
    (minus the underlining of course) because I've set up the Zotero record as in this screenshot.

If I'm doing something wrong with the input or if there are any other suggestions for how to get this citation out of Zotero properly with the SBL style, I'd be most grateful.

Thank you so much for your help!
  • edited July 15, 2021
    I had this same problem and I fiddled around with the SBL full note file.

If you open the editor and chnage the publisher macro to this, it seems to work:
    <macro name="publisher">
    <choose>
    <if type="thesis">
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <choose>
    <if variable="original-date" match="any">
    <text variable="original-publisher-place" suffix=":"/>
    <text variable="original-publisher" suffix=","/>
    <date variable="original-date" form="text" date-parts="year" prefix="" suffix="; repr., "/>
    </if>
    </choose>
    <text variable="publisher-place"/>
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    </group>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>

Then make sure the Extra field uses the format:
    Original Date: 1689
    Original Publisher: Johannes Gyselaar
    Original Publisher Place: Franeker

It's hacky in the sense that you need to supply all 3 fields and I'm not sure what the SBL format is when some are missing. I mean, it's just hacky in general so use at your own risk.
  • Thanks, @zoltoro. That's a good idea. I'll have to play around with that some.