Reference not appearing in bibliography

This discussion was created from comments split from: Reference does not appear in Word after adding citation.
  • I inserted a citation to the main body of the text. However, the reference is not appearing in the bibliography. I am in Google Docs and clicked 'refresh Zotero' twice. What am I missing?
  • (First, see Existing thread or new thread. The thread you posted to was from 2017 and — if you read it — was a simple misunderstanding that was resolved. Generally a new thread is better unless you're certain it's the same issue.)

Is the bibliography still linked to Zotero? That is, if you click on it, do you see "Edit with Zotero" in a popup?

Have you tried deleting and reinserting the bibliography?
  • I DID do a search - how do you think I found this one???
    Yes I did.
  • You're not fully reading things here — the point here is that it's better to start a new thread rather than posting to an old, unrelated thread. From the section I linked to:
    If you do find an existing thread, read the entire discussion — not just the thread title — to make sure it's relevant
    If you're not sure if your issue is exactly the same, it's better to start a new thread
    Syncing issues and word processor plugin issues generally require individual troubleshooting and should almost always go in new threads.
    And you didn't answer one of the two questions I asked you about your issue.

We're happy to help you here, but you can't fail to read the things we're saying and then get frustrated with us.
  • The only thing I'm frustrated with is your tone. I find it (repeatedly) condescending and reprimanding ("if you read it" and "You're not fully reading things here"). I have started a new thread before only to be told that I shouldn't start a new thread, so it very much seems to be on a whim as to whether I should add to an old, or start a new, thread. I very much appreciate that this is open-source, that you may well not benefit directly from user's subscriptions and that there isn't the usual customer relationship, but courtesy is still applicable. If someone makes a mistake in the forum etiquette, a *polite* correction or request to read a particular guideline would be fine.

That aside, I resolved the issue by deleting the citation, deleting the bibliography and starting from scratch again (in case anyone is reading this for a solution).
  • If someone makes a mistake in the forum etiquette, a *polite* correction or request to read a particular guideline would be fine.
    That's exactly what I provided initially. You then responded with "I DID do a search - how do you think I found this one???", which suggested that you hadn't read past the first sentence of what I linked to.
    I have started a new thread before only to be told that I shouldn't start a new thread, so it very much seems to be on a whim as to whether I should add to an old, or start a new, thread.
    I've looked through the threads you've started and don't see one where you were told that, and it's fairly unlikely that someone would have done so. I did, however, tell you previously that you had posted to an unrelated thread. In any case, the guidelines I linked to above are what you should go by. As it says, when in doubt, it's better to start a new thread.