Cannot add citations to Google Doc

Error ID: 800410007

I have added citations to a Google Docs text document before, but cannot any longer add them to the same document. There simply appears a message "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here."

The problem occurs with all Google Docs documents, old and new. Uninstalling and reinstalling Zotero did not help.

Thank you for assistance.
  • Where exactly are you trying to insert a citation (e.g., in a table, footnote, textbox)?
  • @KristjanOad: Are you saying this happens in a completely new, empty Google Doc?
  • I'm trying to insert the citation in the main text.

Yes, it happens in a new, empty Google Doc. Alternatively, on some tries, it goes a step further: I get to choose the format of the citation and the progress bar appears... only to stay there forever.

Thank you for your advice.
  • What browser and which version are you using? Could you submit a Report ID from the Zotero Connector?
  • I have this issue as well. I submitted a bug report (849450207) as suggested above.

It looks like an extension conflict of some kind; when I turned off all other extensions, Zotero worked. I will trouble-shoot which one later. For the record, here's a list of the ones I have installed:

1Password X
    Draftback
    Google Calendar
    Google Scholar Button
    Web Developer
    Google Docs Offline
    Full Page Screen Capture

Here's the error text:

[JavaScript Error: "maybePromise is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/server.js" line: 486}]

[JavaScript Error: "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here."]

version => 5.0.69, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.14, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.69, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.15.SA.5.0.69, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.23.SA.5.0.69, extension), Shockwave Flash (28.0.0.137, plugin)
  • I have the same issue. I format the document for APA 6ht, then click insert citation. A Task bar opens and then I get the error "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here."
  • The issue here is related to placing the cursor in non-Zotero-citation links in the document. If you can figure out which link in your document under what circumstances causes this, we will fix it.
  • thanks for getting back to me. I selected 10 different random spots in the the text of the document to try adding a citation, and got the error every time. First it says, "zotero is updating your document. Please wait." then says "Zotero fields cannot be inserted here."
  • Do you have hyperlinks in this document? Have you tried adding one to see whether it fixes it? Could you make a copy of a document and remove everything but the last page, then refresh the browser tab and see if it still produces the error? If so, could you share it with support@zotero.org?