Available for beta testing: Google Docs integration

• edited April 28, 2018
    I think that's a fairly easy to avoid scenario as things go.
    If concurrent citation operations put the integrity of the document at risk, I assume that some sort of locking mechanism will be added to avoid them in software.
  • So I guess we should hold off using it until that issue is solved. Thanks for warning us though!
  • It's a beta, I'm sure it will be. Looking forward to using GD integration in instruction. We have mooting teams that will likely be all over this when it goes live.
  • edited May 1, 2018
    getting "responseJSON.response.result is undefined" with google docs integration. The citation does happen but i still get the pop up .

Report ID 2026674165

[JavaScript Error: "responseJSON.response.result is undefined"]

version => 5.0.46, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.13, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.46, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.13.SA.5.0.46, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (5.0.15.SA.5.0.46, extension), Shockwave Flash (29.0.0.140, plugin)
  • I'm getting the same error. Debug ID 1837030525.
  • At refresh, I'm also always getting

Zotero

Zotero plugin cannot work without the Google Docs tab and browser window active. Please do not switch away from the window until the operation is complete.

(tab is active)
  • edited May 3, 2018
    Hello.

I'm using Firefox 59.0.2 (64-bit), Zotero 5.0.47-beta.1+b8e0c3f7e and Zotero Connector 5.0.38beta1.

My system is Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and the programs are in Brazilian Portuguese language.

My Google Docs account is also in Brazilian Portuguese.

When I insert a quote, the following error message appears:

[JavaScript Error: "responseJSON.response.result is undefined
    run@moz-extension://bb2706d0-e24b-4360-9d5d-6900aa1233aa/zotero-google-docs-integration/api.js:144:7
    "]

[JavaScript Error: "responseJSON.response.result is undefined
    run@moz-extension://bb2706d0-e24b-4360-9d5d-6900aa1233aa/zotero-google-docs-integration/api.js:144:7
    " {file: "[object Object]"}]

However, the quote is inserted correctly, even with the error message.

I disabled the extensions Better Bib(la)Tex, RTF / ODF Scan and Zotfile, but the error message continues to appear.

Report ID: 204160677

If you have any suggestions, I'm ready to test the idea. I would like to be able to contribute more and not only indicate some error but I am not programmer. I believe that this integration with Google Docs will revolutionize the way many people work.
  • Hello.

After update to Zotero Connector 5.0.38beta2 I have this error:

Zotero encountered an error updating the document.
    Cannot call method "tryLock" of null.

Report ID: 1762691089

[JavaScript Error: "Cannot call method "tryLock" of null.
    [object Object]"]

I can not enter citations anymore.
  • When trying to insert a citation this message is displayed:

' Cannot call method "tryLock" of null. '

Using Firefox on MacOS. The Firefox connector seems to be correctly installed.
  • edited May 5, 2018
    A new connector version (5.0.38beta3) is out that should fix the above errors.
  • edited May 5, 2018
    The betas don't auto-update? they do.
  • PERFECT!!!!!

After update to Zotero Connector 5.0.38beta3 solved errors ID: 204160677 and ID: 1762691089.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • We have added some safety mechanisms that will prevent multiple users from concurrently editing citations, but due to technical limitations they are not perfect. You can probably break it if you try really hard, but under normal usage you shouldn't be concerned about issues with concurrent editing. If someone else is updating document citations and you try to do it too, you will get a prompt informing you that the document is locked and you should try to perform the operation later. Due to how the locking mechanism is implemented, a document could become permanently locked due to unforeseeable circumstances (such as google docs service failures), in which case you can manually override the lock.
  • Two things:

1. I'm sometimes seeing weird behavior with regular links in google docs, i.e. when click on them, instead of showing the URLs, they show "Edit in Zotero". Unfortunately I haven't been able to reliably reproduce this. It just seems to sometimes happen sometimes not. It doesn't appear to be related to having used Zotero in a document, though.

2. Would you consider putting this (still marked as experimental and opt-in) into the non-beta connector? I'd love to start using this with people but while I can get them to enable an experimental feature, installing the beta connector is likely not going to happen.
  • Would you consider putting this (still marked as experimental and opt-in) into the non-beta connector? I'd love to start using this with people but while I can get them to enable an experimental feature, installing the beta connector is likely not going to happen.
    It is available on release connectors by enabling integration.googleDocs.enabled hidden pref. However, the code is still volatile as it is being worked on for some features (e.g. exporting/importing Word docs). Once we feel that the code is likely to remain stable we will add the checkbox in connector preferences to the release connectors. You can try using the release version connector with the google docs, but we are only testing against the beta connector, so it could potentially stop working at any time.
  • OK, thanks -- sounds like this is probably worth waiting for before using it with anyone who isn't adventurous enough to install the beta connector.
  • Hello.

After update to Zotero Connector 5.0.38beta2 I have this error:

Zotero encountered an error updating the document.
    Cannot call method "tryLock" of null.

Report ID: 1762691089

[JavaScript Error: "Cannot call method "tryLock" of null.
    [object Object]"]

I can not enter citations anymore.

http://wd-learning.com/youtube-to-mp3-converter/
  • Update the connector. You should be on 5.0.39beta5
  • I'm positively delighted by this news. I am not a confident enough troubleshooter to try the beta versions, but I am really excited about ANY possibility of a Google Docs plug-in!
  • I've been trying the beta and they've been without issue for me, and reverting is super easy should you run into issues.
  • Great addition, works amazing
  • I use windows 10, Firefox 60.0.1 and connector 5.0.40beta1

I can cite, it works pretty well

But I don't know how to add the complete bibliography at the end of the document. This option does not appear. Do I need to configure something?
  • But I don't know how to add the complete bibliography at the end of the document. This option does not appear.
    @jvdura: Where are you looking? There should be an Add/Edit Bibliography option right below Add/Edit Citation in the Zotero menu in Google Docs.
  • @dstillman: You are right. I was looking in the Zotero icon. Thanks.
  • edited May 30, 2018
    Report ID: 964371940

windows 10, Firefox 60.0.1 and connector 5.0.40beta1

This happens when I cancel the citation and close the pop-up window. Zotero connector has an error, but I can continue working.
  • Hi, I enable integration.googleDocs.enabled and now I can see the menu, but not works...

[JavaScript Error: "Error
    at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/connector.js:322:49"]

Report ID: 664887148
  • While you can enable the google docs plugin in the stable connector via the advanced pref, we are still working on the plugin code and only keeping the Beta connector updated with it all. We'll be releasing the compatible plugin on all connectors soon, but for now you should stick to the Beta.
  • @jvdura thanks for the report. It is now fixed in the latest beta connector.
  • Great work! Very excited to have this functionality and everything seems to be working fairly well upon first testing (v. 5.0.40beta2). I did have an issue of the citation bar hanging when adding a citation, but restarting Zotero on my computer seemed to solve the issue.
  • @carlsen%2Ebri if you run into this again, please submit Report IDs from Zotero and the Connector and post them here
This discussion has been closed.